Are pet strollers/Pet car seats worth the money?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeanutsPlace

Reaction score
Hello, fellow rabbit parents (or soon to be?),
I was wondering if I should invest my money in a pet stroller (it can also be converted into a car seat),
It is a lot of money but I've seen people use them and they are so cute!
My one bunny is super sociable, and sorta like Lennon the bunny I thought I could take her out on trips to the store. ( only pet-friendly stores)
I also thought it could be helpful since we take the bunnies in the car about every month or two for a vet appointment or we drop them off with a friend/pet sitter.
Thanks in advance!

I saw some advertised recently too and knew someone who bought one for their larger pets, forget what it was, I think a cat. I'd probably say it all depends on how often you plan on using it, similar to a baby stroller. It sounds like you'd probably get some good use out of it taking the bunny to pet friendly stores and vet appointments/sitters but I probably wouldn't pay a high end price either. Hopefully some others who have one can give some advice, I def like the convertible car seat idea. Def sounds like it'd make trips much easier :)

I personally don't think it's worth it especially since it sounds like your use for it would be synonymous with a regular hard-sided pet carrier (which is more secure and safe than a stroller). It is an owner's judgment whether they want to take their rabbit to stores or not, and I tend to err on the side of caution which is not doing that ever since whatever engagement my rabbits could get from that can likely still be achieved in the safety of our home that is a much more controlled environment.

If that stroller is in your price range, and it may keep vulnerable furry safe outside while you sip a beverage or pull weeds, and you have room to store, than investing in a bun-safe stroller is a good choice.

Some pet carriers have mesh sides and no way would I trust one of our chewers or diggers to sit quietly in a mesh-sided carrier.

Here's a picture of my friend who took her rabbits to a assisted-living center for humans; She volunteered to bring her bonded pair in a stroller to the senior center. Always a good education moment. However, we all do not have Therapy-Licensed companion pets.

The residents at the center had a love affair with her buns. Many precious memories and images in her slide presentation at a Rabbit-Education Event.

Attachments

• DeniseS_PictureOfCheckersTherapyBun_SentFromDeniseNov42020RST.jpg
    DeniseS_PictureOfCheckersTherapyBun_SentFromDeniseNov42020RST.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2
Most bunnies hate being taken out of their familiar environment and get very stressed which is often not noticed by their (inexperienced) parents until the bunny gets ill. There is nothing in it for them to be taken to stores, etc. The only use I can think of for a pet stroller is for transport to the rabbit vet. Other than that, please leave your bunnies in a permanent large space (at least 60 square ft.) with lots of enrichment. Those videos showing people treating bunnies like dogs have done tremendous harm. People should be taught instead what the real welfare needs of these complicated, fragile prey animals are. Check out the Rabbit Welfare Association website.

I personally use my granddaughter's old stroller.
Paid nothing and saves me carrying them to their vet appointment. They can get heavy 😅 and I don't drive so I have to bus them.

And I say " I'm being one of THOSE pet parents 🤣, and it's smart 🤓👍🥰"

Attachments

• 20190702_080820.jpg
    20190702_080820.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I once considered taking my most mellow and calm bunny out into the public; but,,,,,,, I eventually realized I was thinking more of myself and my own ego than of my bunny. I've decided to never do it, for the rabbit's sake.
I'd dearly love to have folks see and make a fuss over my rabbits; but, I need to put their welfare ahead of mine.

I want to be a good bunny parent.

@Orrin that's the best parent to be.
Sometimes we don't have the option to not take our buns out (like me, who doesn't drive so I need to bus) though, but yes their welfare is of the highest importance.

@Orrin , yes there are cases of dogs let into stores and people fuss over them. I always wondered why they aren't at home instead of being on the driver's lap? My shelter friend would get very angry any time she saw a canine left in a car. We are talking two different species here. Rabbits who can be scared to death by sudden noises or predatory pets approaching them. Our lab/mix would freak out by fireworks and a car that backfired.

For DVM visits, I request certain CVTs who speak bunny language, so our fragile and vulernable buns are not stressed.

I also think ego plays a role in why people attend shows; to show-off their occupants or dependents, engage in the competition for beauty standards?, or does the dog or rabbit actually care if s/he has a ribbon? @Momma Luvbun, thinking of their welfare is best!

To your point, @Diane R, a particular group would engage in Fairs and ShowNTell type of parades. Rabbits can be easily stressed.

I did take a few of our buns for a walk in a safe stroller unit, in our safe neighborhood, combined with my own health reasons that required exercise. Comments I heard made me sad, some negative, some positive. People who observed were quick to chime in with their views. I will forever remember some comments made.

Yes, Please make sure you have a very sturdy carrier so your furry family member feels secure.

Attachments

• RudyVisitingSeniors_2006RST2.jpg
    RudyVisitingSeniors_2006RST2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
This is not collapsable. Yet found at a resale shop or online. Our crew is kept safe. I continually supervise so none of the neighbors dogs or a hawk comes near. - Our disabled residents and healthy elders, et al, enjoyed their safe enclosure. Our area is filled with predators and parasitic critters. Our furry family are never left to wander in the grass after our harlequin girl acquired a tapeworm. @Momma Luvbun , your granddaughter's stroller came in handy with the sturdy k/c.

Attachments

• KarlaAndBarry_WeGoForStrollerRides_Summer2009_RS.jpg
    KarlaAndBarry_WeGoForStrollerRides_Summer2009_RS.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
@TreasuredFriend yes, it certainly did/does.
And I also use bungy cords to fully secure the carrier, in case they do get scared in there and begin to thump/hop about so it doesn't jiggle out of place.
I only wish the back went down all the way so the carrier fit into the seat instead of having the tray be what holds the front. I'd much rather the whole carrier be inside the seat, but the bungy's fix what I worry over👍 🥰

Latest posts

Back