Are my rabbit's teeth ok? + buzzing noise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsam9756

Reaction score
received_451022576382585.jpeg
Hi all! My little Coco has been with us for a little less than 6th months now. She's a 2 year old lionhead x rex.

I usually check her teeth once every few weeks, but I noticed her nose was wet today. I also noticed that she's been making a "buzzing sound" these past few days. I don't think it's teeth grinding as she really sounds like a little bumblebee. It usually lasts a few seconds then she stops. Any idea why she's doing this? I know that wet nose/mouth can mean teeth problems, so I wanted to know your opinions before heading to the vet. Also, she looks very pitiful in that picture but I promise she's happy and fine. Thanks for all the help!

As far as I can tell the incisors look ok and not overgrown. The bottom ones do look like they could be a tiny bit long, so just something to keep an eye on, as well as the wet nose. And definitely have her seen by your vet if the teeth look like they are getting longer and not wearing down properly. The wet nose, could be due to dust in the environment, dusty hay, cleaning products or strong scents, or a rabbit that has gotten too hot. But if the wetness continues, gets worse, or you see any white snot, then she definitely needs to be seen.

A buzzing or sometimes honking sound, can happen from a rabbit feeling amorous due to hormones, or can happen when a rabbit is feeling happy or excited about something(treats, feeding time, happy to see you, etc).

Alright, they have a checkup due anyways so I'll get them seen soon. Quick follow up question about the buzzing : she is laying down when she buzzes and she seems half asleep in loaf position, so I'm not sure why she's doing this. We have another male bun (neutered) that came with her. They have been living together for about a year. They are bonded except for a few times where he has attempted to mount her. I'm bringing this up because two days ago, she suddenly started humping him for the first time ever. Do you think all of this is a hormones thing? Thanks so much for replying!!! :)

Is she spayed?

Is it actually buzzing you're hearing, or could it be she's snoring, doing soft tooth purring/chattering, or maybe noisy breathing? Buzzing is usually only an awake, excited sound.

Yes she is spayed. It only seems to happen when she is laying down or "loading". I don't think it's breathing issues and it could be teeth grinding but it's noticeably louder, unlike teeth purring when I pet her. Could it just be that she's having a good dream? Or maybe undiagnosed teeth or respiratory issues causing actual teeth grinding?

Latest posts

Back