Are my rabbits lonely?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura stone

Reaction score
so I have one amazing bonded pair of lionhead boys: Lionel and Winston 7 and 5 months respectively.

And 2 more boys: Clive lionhead 7 months and Rufus lionhead 5 months who are both in the same pen but kept separated.

They can still sniff each other etc and sometimes I catch them lying side by side in the pen with only the bars inbetween them. We try bond them a few times a week in a neutral place which always results in some feet banging and small scuffles. I know bonding takes time BUT the question here is are they lonely? Even though they can see each other etc and they are separate for their own safety but I always worry they are lonely :(

Attachments

• 2E44348F-DB2D-4B9A-88EC-35B804415B4E.jpeg
    2E44348F-DB2D-4B9A-88EC-35B804415B4E.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 8
  • ACB2128A-ADDA-4D34-B40B-C260F8085888.jpeg
    ACB2128A-ADDA-4D34-B40B-C260F8085888.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 7
Most rabbits, especially indoor ones that get plenty of exercise and interaction, generally do just fine single. Occasionally, one will come across a rabbit that really seems to need a bondmate.

You can continue to try to bond these two just as you've been doing. Do bear in mind that lying besides each other with the pen between them doesn't necessarily mean that they like each other or want to be near each other. It could also mean "hey, this is the line of my territory and I'm making sure you know it's mine!"

Another consideration is that bonding rabbits isn't exact. Each pairing is unique. Some rabbits bond well with regular bonding sessions stretched out over a period of time. But that isn't the only way to bond. One could also do what I call 'immersion' method. With this method, the rabbits are placed in a neutral area (that has hidey areas and more than one litter box). They remain in that area - watched 24/7 - until they are bonded (or it is determined that they won't bond). I'm not saying this is the way to go with your rabbits. I'm just letting you know that that is another alternative.

Latest posts

Back