are my bunny poops healthy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tayler

Reaction score
his poops have always been a bit dark and soft and i never thought anything of it hes around 2-4 months and he eats alfalfa hay and about a cup of different greens a day im really concerned because i heard that bunny poops are supposed to be dryer and have chewed up hay in them but his dont just a clay-like consistency all throughWIN_20190821_19_38_36_Pro.jpg

his poops have always been a bit dark and soft and i never thought anything of it hes around 2-4 months and he eats alfalfa hay and about a cup of different greens a day im really concerned because i heard that bunny poops are supposed to be dryer and have chewed up hay in them but his dont just a clay-like consistency all throughView attachment 42458
My bunnies poops are definitely dryer and have hay like you say, they are around 2 and a half months old. Your bun should be doing a mixture of dry poops and wet poops which they eat. I havent given my buns any veggies yet because I think when they're really young sometimes they can get a bad stomach but I'm only saying that from experience I could be wrong. I give alfalfa nuggets and a plenty supply of timothy hay all day. How much hay are you feeding? :)

My bunnies poops are definitely dryer and have hay like you say, they are around 2 and a half months old. Your bun should be doing a mixture of dry poops and wet poops which they eat. I havent given my buns any veggies yet because I think when they're really young sometimes they can get a bad stomach but I'm only saying that from experience I could be wrong. I give alfalfa nuggets and a plenty supply of timothy hay all day. How much hay are you feeding? :)
the vet and every source i see says they always need to have hay to eat, he also says baby buns are better off on alfalfa hay, and i dont give my bun any pellets hes happy and acts normal but he had an upset belly not long ago and we stopped giving him any treats or carrot for the week, he was lethargic and not eating much but hes normal now his poops are just still soft

I should maybe try and get some alfalfa hay for my two then if it's best:) sorry I'm no expert, but I would just stop giving any treats until the poop gets better if it was me. Usually the more hay and less of anything else mine get their stomachs seem a lot better. Carrot is something that usually always would cause stomach problems for my rabbits I usually just stick to greens to avoid any issues hope his poops get better soon

In your case I would take away the veggies and wait until you get the normal droppings a bunny should have. Your bunnies droppings show that he dosen’t get enough fibers in his food. It should take just a couple of days for your bun to bounce back.

Then I would reintroduce the veggies slowly again and determine how much veggies he can eat without getting upset stomach and still eat a healthy amount of hay.

Myself never fed my bunnies with alfalfa hay. Instead they got used with normal hay and had alfalfa based pellets. Because some bunnies will have a hard time going from alfalfa hay to timothy hay, the reason that is that the alfalfa hay have more taste than timothy hay.

Whenever my bunnies show signs of droppings changing consistent and shape. I always put them on a strict hay diet until they become better.

Facts about bunny droppings:

http://www.bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/

Latest posts

Back