Are most rabbit owners vegan?

Discussion in 'Let Your Hare Down' started by kingofeli, May 25, 2016.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

?

Are you vegan?

1. No, but I want to be

2. No, I don't want to be

3. No, but I am vegetarian

4. Yes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jul 26, 2018 #41

jsjjane

jsjjane

jsjjane

I’ve been a vegetarian for 21 years. Partly because of my love for animals but for other reasons too. One of the things I’ve noticed is that animals tend to like me, maybe because I don’t smell like I’m going to eat them ;-)

2. Jul 26, 2018 #42

Sophia

Sophia

Sophia

Same

3. Jul 27, 2018 #43

dungeonbunnies

dungeonbunnies

dungeonbunnies

I'm not a vegan by any means, but I seriously don't get all of these people who are on a PET RABBIT FORUM being obnoxious about their consumption of rabbit...

I've raised my own food my entire life, but I've never had the audacity to go up to someone who has that animal as a pet and say "you have a pet ____? I just LOVE to eat _____!" Wow.

4. Jul 27, 2018 #44

Sophia

Sophia

Sophia

I will never be vegan but I wouldn't eat anything like rabbit or frog

5. Jul 27, 2018 #45

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

I don't see pet rabbit owners admitting to eating rabbit as being obnoxious. The quote 'you have a pet ___, I just love to eat ___' is not accurate. It is more "I have a pet____, but I still can eat______." There's a difference.

Members on here all have pet rabbits. For someone to say they are fine with eating rabbit even though they have a pet rabbit seems fine to me. As someone else posted, they can differentiate between a pet and food.

Popsicles likes this.
  6. Jul 27, 2018 #46
    @dungeonbunnies if you can't play nice you will be removed.

Keep it friendly folks.

7. Jul 27, 2018 #47

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

The doctors actually aren't wrong. B12 is only found in animal products(meat, fish, poultry, dairy, eggs). B12 is an essential nutrient and without it in your diet you will become anemic(severe fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, pallor), and it can even be fatal if not corrected(pernicious anemia from a nutritional deficiency).

For those that changed from eating animal products to becoming vegan, you probably won't notice a difference for several years as your liver can store about 5 years worth of B12, so it will take a while for those stores to be depleted. If you aren't taking a B12 supplement or fortified grain products to make up for no animal products in your diet, you will likely start noticing the effects of a B12 deficiency after several years of being on a vegan diet, such as occurred with @mizunodaddy. Which decline in health had nothing to do with it not being a suitable diet for him/her, but not being suitable for anyone without the proper supplementation.

It really is a serious potential health condition that needs to be considered when going on a full vegan diet, as the effects of a B12 deficiency can be very severe and can lead to permanent health problems throughout your life, such as neuropathy, brain damage/dementia, chronic fatigue, and heart problems, to name a few.

That said, I'm vegetarian for health reasons, and even then I don't consume a lot of eggs or dairy. Because of this I am very careful about making sure to take B12 supplements, as I know first hand about feeling the effects of a B12 deficiency and how debilitating it can be.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    mizunodaddy likes this.
  8. Aug 2, 2018 #48

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

I personally sprinkle nutritional yeast on different foods such as black beans and vegan burgers to get B12 regularly. 1533235664281.jpeg

Susannah likes this.
  9. Aug 2, 2018 #49

mizunodaddy

mizunodaddy

mizunodaddy

Actually, i am not regretting being vegan for those 7 years, because i went through interesting phases, with huge amount of extra-body experience and lucid dreaming, which phase continued even after the vegan period for many years, i also kind of died a couple of times, but i think i needed all that... now i have a terminal condition, but still, i think, well... worth it... i only hope i will live as long as my bun needs me:)

Bellamy+Lilah likes this.
  10. Oct 24, 2018 #50

Susannah

Susannah

Susannah

I am vegetarian and that is solely my prerogative, as it is for folk who consume animal flesh - each to their own and for their myriad of reasons for doing so...an animal bred for consumption should only have one 'bad day', and that is the day it is slaughtered...sadly, and unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Nancy McClelland likes this.
  11. Oct 24, 2018 #51

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Funny thing, when I was a kid we had pigeons and chickens which did get eaten on occasion. He got 4 White New Zealands to raise as food, but they became his "pets" and there was no discussion about eating them, ever!

Popsicles likes this.
  12. Oct 24, 2018 #52

jamesewaller

jamesewaller

jamesewaller

unfortunately-we are predatory,homineds--being a vegan is a choice,which usually backfires...someday we may evolve.,maybe into plants..sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail rip

13. Oct 30, 2018 #53

Lokin4AReason

Lokin4AReason

Lokin4AReason

R.I.P Little man ....

i have been avoiding an meat by products for some time now .... there is so much more than meat nowadays, imo

when i see my new gang of kid(s) ( and so dearly miss the original ones ), why should i have pleasure and when someone else suffers for the moment i eat a steak, hamburger, or whatever

they have as much right or more to be here like we do, imo

14. Oct 31, 2018 #54

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

Do unto others...

15. Oct 31, 2018 #55

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

I got a heckuva lot healthier after discovering how agri-business treats livestock commodity objects. Got the book We Animals by Jo-Anne McArthur. Read the book Stories Rabbits Tell by Margo DeMello, and chose a different lifestyle 15 years ago. Made decisions about what to put in my stomach... choices are plentiful.

16. Oct 31, 2018 #56

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

I used to have a T-shirt that said PETA in large letters on it and if you looked close each letter was the start of a word--People Eating Tasty Animals. I got it as a gift after a back packing trip that I brought 5 frozen ribeyes in my pack. We always had a party 2 weeks after we got back and did a secret santa thing at the party and were supposed to be gag gifts. Always tried to be inventive with the food choices even if it was a bit heavy.

17. Nov 6, 2018 #57

WholeLottaBunnies

WholeLottaBunnies

WholeLottaBunnies

I have been a vegetarian for a few years, however, I ended up having a breakdown recently and I currently can't take care of my alimentation, I pretend to get back to it once I get better though.

18. Dec 24, 2018 #58

katlupe

katlupe

katlupe

No, I follow the Ketogenic diet, which includes meat. I have eaten pretty much all types of meat. Owning a rabbit does not mean I would not eat rabbit, but I have not had it since I grew up anyway (long time ago). The breed of rabbit I own, the Californian, is raised for meat and that is probably what mine would have been if an owl hadn't picked him up and dropped him at my house.

Alyssa and Bugs♡ likes this.
  19. Dec 24, 2018 #59

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

Alyssa and Bugs♡

I am vegetarian and have been off and on for the last few years. It's not easy being a vegetarian in a meat eating family, but I make it work. Having a bunny makes it so I always have vegetables so that makes things easier. I am vegetarian for many different reasons including animal rights, weight, and mental health.

20. Dec 24, 2018 #60

Theo

Theo

Theo

I am not vegetarian and eat meat pretty much every day. You can feed me any meat you can buy at Kroger, just no rabbit or frog.

My friends used to own rabbits only for meat. They told me they would have me over for dinner and feed me rabbit pot pie. Now when they see my rabbit they are always saying he would make a great rabbit pot pie.

Alyssa and Bugs♡ likes this.