Are most rabbit owners vegan?

Discussion in 'Let Your Hare Down' started by kingofeli, May 25, 2016.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above.
?

Are you vegan?

1. No, but I want to be

2. No, I don't want to be

3. No, but I am vegetarian

4. Yes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Apr 11, 2018 #21

Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

I am not vegan but i absolute refuse to eat rabbit

2. May 14, 2018 #22

Out of this world bunnies

I am not vegan, but there are certain animals that i won't eat such as: Rabbit, duck, dogs, cats and horses. I would never in my life consider eating those i assume most people won't eat dog or cat though.

Joanna likes this.
  3. May 15, 2018 #23

Popsicles

Popsicles

Popsicles

I

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. May 15, 2018 #24

bluebird

bluebird

bluebird

I'm not,i dont know anyone that is.

5. May 15, 2018 #25

crabapple

crabapple

crabapple

No, being a vegan would defeat the purpose of having rabbits.

RoadkillStewie likes this.
  6. Jun 25, 2018 #26

lunlow

lunlow

lunlow

Lunlow

I would consider myself a pescatarian, although it wasn't on the list, for the sole reason that meat tastes disgusting to me. I personally have nothing against those who eat meat (even rabbit), I mean, why would you? I haven't met any other people who don't really eat meat, except my father (hardcore animal lover), but he doesn't really talk about it much.

Anyway, I doubt there is even any correlation between rabbit owners and vegans. I'd be surprised if there was, but I'm wrong sometimes. :p

7. Jul 5, 2018 #27

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

I'm a vegan (first went vegan for health & weight loss reasons but afterward learned about animal treatment realities and it just enforced my decision to be totally committed to it for the rest of my life).

Also I only recently within the past month have found out that certain popular brands test their chemicals on rabbits in particular (inject them until they die just to see how long they last before they die & keep them in terrifying abusive conditions).

Some of them are:
    Victoria's Secret
    L'OREAL
    Maybelline
    Johnson & Johnson
    Avon
    Calvin Klein
    Chapstick
    Clorox
    Crest
    Herbal Essences
    MAC Cosmetics
    Tide
    Venus

... these are just a few of a huge list.

Once I learned this I threw away a ton of my makeup and perfumes/body sprays and have never missed them or looked back. I have always been a makeup lover but when I learned this I literally said to myself "you know what, I've always loved these makeups and personal care products... but I love bunnies WAAAAY more, so you're going in the trash". There are a lot of brands out there that DO NOT TEST ON ANIMALS, such as:
    Wet N Wild
    Maui
    NYX
    Too Faced
    Burt's Bees
    Australian Gold
    (...there are a lot but I can't remember anymore of them off the top of my head)

I just couldn't cope actively using products anymore that I KNEW for a fact was causing some poor rabbit somewhere (just like mine) immense suffering.

I refuse to wear or buy Victoria's Secret and other companies that choose to test on animals anymore also - I purged my closet because I couldn't stomach the thought of them anymore.

If you're like me and are incredibly interested in whether or not the makeup and other products you use are cruelty-free or not, I highly suggest you download and this app called "Bunny Free"

It lists a ton of brands and companies that are cruelty-free and also ones that do test on animals. If you dont find a particular brand listed in the app, you can most of the time just Google it up and find out but there are a small handful of brands I haven't been able to find out about even doing that so I stay away from them until I know for sure.

Hope this helped somebody!

VioletRose, bunnyluvns and Rabbitats like this.
  8. Jul 5, 2018 #28

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

^ Actually, testing like that on animals is prohibited and no longer takes place in the US or EU. The only problem comes with any products sold in China. China requires all such products to be first tested on animals before being allowed on shelves. It's the Chinese government that needs to change that.

Of course the argument can be made against any company that sells to China, knowing that their products may then be tested by the Chinese on animals. But the companies aren't doing the testing.

Disclaimer: I don't trust anything put out by PETA. o_O

HearseGirl and Popsicles like this.
  9. Jul 7, 2018 #29

debbie10bee

debbie10bee

debbie10bee

There are a lot of doctors out there who say that but really they are wrong. It's true that being vegan is expensive. But other than that there is really nothing else bad about being vegan. Unfortunately a lot of people are misled about veganism. Like one time my friends said that you couldn't have babies unless you ate meat. Which is wrong. My mom had 5 babies and we are all still alive. I have realized that being vegan is hard, but I will still never eat meat. So I prefer being vegetarian. Because dairy is to good to pass up. But I have mad respect to the vegans out there.

Bellamy+Lilah likes this.
  10. Jul 7, 2018 #30

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

I have actually saved a lot of money being vegan. I eat a lot black beans cause it's one of my favorite things and they are only like $0.85 at my local walmart for a can of them. If you buy ritzy vegan brand snacks left and right then it could be more expensive but if you eat mostly beans, almond milk, oats, and cook your own vegan patties and stuff like that it's not. It doesn't have to be expensive.

VioletRose, bunnyluvns and Rabbitats like this.
  11. Jul 7, 2018 #31

Preitler

Preitler

Preitler

Well, I own rabbits because I'm not vegan.Or vegeterian, or any of those pseudoreligious stuff. I'm not too happy about how meat is produced commercially, so that is my answer to that dilemma. My buck is my free range pet bunny, living with me in the house, the 4 girls have their hutches and 200m² to roam, dig, or whatever. My freezer is well supplied with two litters per year. Which is fine since my does live in pairs and I try to retire the older two from breeding (about 6 years now, they aren't happy about that and sometimes find ways...)

There's nothing wrong with eating only vegan stuff, if one knows what he's doing, but quite often that is accompanied by a mindset that I'm not really comfortable with, like religious fanatics, claiming to be better humans because of their dietry choices.

This mindset, which causes a lot of suffering for animals here, and the destruction of the symbioses between lifestock and humans (detaching the population from animal husbandry is so stuopid, cruel, and shortsighted), is pretty stupid, detached, but unfortunatly sexy to politicians with no clue...

So, if someone claims to be Vergan, and therefore a better human, all my hairs stand up.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    HearseGirl likes this.
  12. Jul 8, 2018 #32

mizunodaddy

mizunodaddy

mizunodaddy

I am not a vegan, however, i was for 7 years. Unfortunately my body could not survive it properly and at the end of this 7 year period i lost 25 kg of pure muscles and was deeply anemic... it took me a while to be able to return to normal life. However, i only consume turkey meat and eat very little in general. I have a special diet due to heart problems (caused by veganism). I guess, veganism is not suitable just for everyone. And, of course, i would never be able to eat rabbit meat because it would be the same for me as eating e.g. cats or dogs...

Bellamy+Lilah likes this.
  13. Jul 8, 2018 #33

Buttercup808

Buttercup808

Buttercup808

I wish I could be vegan but very hard to give up the basic things. I'd never eat rabbit though!

mizunodaddy and Bellamy+Lilah like this.
  14. Jul 21, 2018 #34

saadahmed24407

saadahmed24407

saadahmed24407

I would like to eat rabbit because I want to know how it taste but I just can't because I have them as pets so.
    I would only eat rabbit if its like an additive in a food but Rabbit meat is rarely Halal so I cant have it.

15. Jul 22, 2018 #35

VioletRose

VioletRose

VioletRose

I am vegan and have been most of my life. I am perfectly healthy and have low cholesterol and low blood pressure. I am the correct weight for my height and have never suffered from obesity due to diet. I don't differentiate between animals as pets or as food. Animals belong to themselves and are a privelage to have sharing our planet and our lives. The way most livestock are raised and kept is horrendous and they suffer enormously to end up on our plate. Raising animals as food uses huge amounts of energy as opposed to growing plant based protein. Cattle and sheep in Australia where I live have destroyed the top soil of most of the country, which did not originally have hooved animals before white man, and we suffer from land erosion.

Bellamy+Lilah and bunnyluvns like this.
  16. Jul 23, 2018 #36

bunnyluvns

bunnyluvns

bunnyluvns

What VioletRose & Bellamy+Lilah said. I became a vegan several years ago & find it extremely easy & not at all expensive. You can go to Mercy For Animals, Free From Harm, Toronto Pig Save, Compassion Over Killing, just to name a few of the websites & Facebook pages that will show you what really goes on in the factory farming industry. Or watch the documentary Earthlings. I decided I no longer wanted to support animal abuse so becoming & staying vegan has not been at all difficult.

Bellamy+Lilah and VioletRose like this.
  17. Jul 23, 2018 #37

HearseGirl

HearseGirl

HearseGirl

Huge HUGE meat eater here. When I used to have a rabbitry, what didn't do well on the show table, did well on my table. I feed them, they feed me. In my experience most rabbit owners (I'm thinking breeders though I guess) are meat eaters and will butcher their own. Not the pet ones, just the livestock ones. And the breeders who don't butcher eventually get over run with more pet quality and breeders that they won't be using than they know what to do with. Showing gets really hard with the expense and room for them. Finding pet homes that don't forget there is a bunny in the backyard is hard to find. And other breeders don't want pets. They already have a pet or two, and the rest is live stock.

JimJam and bunnyluvns like this.
  18. Jul 23, 2018 #38

HearseGirl

HearseGirl

HearseGirl

Though I will add, that this is a great pet for people that don't eat meat. It breaks my heart to see meat eating pets become unhealthy because some of them decide that they should be vegan too. People can eat both, and therefor can do just one or the other as well. But other species out there can't do both. They are made one way or the other. And that should be respected.

bunnyluvns likes this.
  19. Jul 23, 2018 #39

bunnyluvns

bunnyluvns

bunnyluvns

I gotta respect people like you, HearseGirl, who are able to butcher their own food. If you're going to eat meat it seems like that's the most humane way to go about it. At least you know the animals were treated well. Or at least buy meat that you know was humanely raised. I've just seen too many videos, photos, & first-hand accounts of animal abuse in the factory farm industry. And there's such a huge variety of delicious vegan food I can honestly say I find it very easy to be vegan.

And I agree with you about other pets. I have a dog & have had several cats & have never put any of them on a vegan or even vegetarian diet. That's where I draw the line. I have an obligation to give my pets the best care & if that means feeding them meat then they're going to get meat.

button+banjo likes this.
  20. Jul 23, 2018 #40

HearseGirl

HearseGirl

HearseGirl

Thanks bunnyluvns. Yes, it is actually a big deal to me to know that my meat had a good life. They had out door time, toys, they were loved on. Always high quality food, clean water... They didn't want for anything.

Although, I know not every situation isn't perfect, and not all animals are treated well... I also am very very careful what I am willing to believe. Animal Rights type activity has been proven to go over board. Sad thing is, it only takes a little bit of looking into to figure it out. But to many won't look into things. Some examples are, the whole cow fiasco that happened years ago. Cattle that are stressed will not produce milk. You HAVE to give them a good life with no stress if you are going to make money with them. That farmer was older and wanted one vacation in his life before he dies. He hired people to care for his cows before he left. He had no idea that it was Animal Rights type of people that would beat his cows and put it on video to make it out as though thats how cows are treated. It was a ploy to get people to stop the milking/beef industry. Knowing that its impossible to make money abusing cows, I knew the whole story wasn't right. But so many just believed it all.
    Also,
    I have seen (because it was put out there) security footage of a guys backyard who bred pits. They were taught to pull weights and competed in a completely legal form of competition. Yes they were on chains, thats because if they dug under a kennel and got out... Well, we all know what people do to pits. Especially if it were someone who fought pits. You know they wouldn't give that dog back. In the footage, it showed him handling them nicely, his little dog walking around and greeting them. They looked healthy and happy. Animal Rights group went in, stole them, and etherized dogs claiming that they were aggressive and sick. Then they sold the puppies as "rescues". Thats an old story too.
    I remember.....
    Back when I had my rabbitry about 20 years ago, there was a fear going around. Apparently some fellow rabbit breeders who had some grand champions in stock (sick bunnies don't win shows as much as people really want to believe that) were also raided by animal rights groups. They stole their whole herd. Before the breeders could even get this case in court, the animal rights put this heart breaking story of abused rabbits out for the public to blindly believe, then they sold them all really fast as "rescue adoptions" because these supposed sick and abused animals were instantly healed and at good weight to go to pet homes. That was after killing some of the rabbits claiming that they were to sick to make it, and refused to show the carcass to anyone that could examine it.
    As of now...
    With all the "cows are SO abused" stories.... I live in Kansas and see cattle in the fields, sunshine, grazing happily all the time. I see the babies with moms and will even see a mule out with them. If you don't know, mules will protect livestock, horses, what ever. Photos and videos can be used in a way to appear abusive or in many times are abused by animal rights so that they can get people to turn on the industry. I hate the way animal rights groups lie, hurt animals, hurt people, and don't care about the harm they cause. They actually make really good money off of raiding healthy animals and making quick sales off of someone else's hard work, time and money. If they need help holding animals, there are always people willing to give free care or at least free boarding at their home. Making it 100% profit for themselves if they get all animals sold fast.
    oh and.. the classic.....
    When a rescue is telling you a heart felt abuse story about all the things a dog has been through, all the horrible things in absolute detail..... Then ends it with.... "and thats when one of our volunteers found him in a parking lot all alone" ((record scratch)) wait wait..... so you mean to tell me that this dog told you its life story??? Because if you just happen to find him, how do you know what that is? And that is right before they ask for your donation.
    There is a "rescue" in our area that if they find your dog on the street cause he got out of the yard or something.... She wastes no time putting him up for adoption for $200, the faster he gets sold, the less she has to put into him. Is it illegal? yes... but our police won't do anything about it. So I can't help but see most rescues as a dog flipper.

I understand your stand to not want to eat meat if they are treated badly. But before I said that I don't usually believe most abuse stories, I wanted to explain why that is first. Its become "the boy who cried wolf" type situation. Sorry that was so long, lol.....

bunnyluvns and Preitler like this.