Are most rabbit owners vegan?

Discussion in 'Let Your Hare Down' started by kingofeli, May 25, 2016.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above.
?

Are you vegan?

1. No, but I want to be

2. No, I don't want to be

3. No, but I am vegetarian

4. Yes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Apr 11, 2018 #21

Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

I am not vegan but i absolute refuse to eat rabbit

2. May 14, 2018 #22

Out of this world bunnies

I am not vegan, but there are certain animals that i won't eat such as: Rabbit, duck, dogs, cats and horses. I would never in my life consider eating those i assume most people won't eat dog or cat though.

Joanna likes this.
  3. May 15, 2018 #23

Popsicles

Popsicles

Popsicles

I

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. May 15, 2018 #24

bluebird

bluebird

bluebird

I'm not,i dont know anyone that is.

5. May 15, 2018 #25

crabapple

crabapple

crabapple

No, being a vegan would defeat the purpose of having rabbits.

RoadkillStewie likes this.
  6. Jun 25, 2018 #26

lunlow

lunlow

lunlow

Lunlow

I would consider myself a pescatarian, although it wasn't on the list, for the sole reason that meat tastes disgusting to me. I personally have nothing against those who eat meat (even rabbit), I mean, why would you? I haven't met any other people who don't really eat meat, except my father (hardcore animal lover), but he doesn't really talk about it much.

Anyway, I doubt there is even any correlation between rabbit owners and vegans. I'd be surprised if there was, but I'm wrong sometimes. :p

7. Jul 5, 2018 #27

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

I'm a vegan (first went vegan for health & weight loss reasons but afterward learned about animal treatment realities and it just enforced my decision to be totally committed to it for the rest of my life).

Also I only recently within the past month have found out that certain popular brands test their chemicals on rabbits in particular (inject them until they die just to see how long they last before they die & keep them in terrifying abusive conditions).

Some of them are:
    Victoria's Secret
    L'OREAL
    Maybelline
    Johnson & Johnson
    Avon
    Calvin Klein
    Chapstick
    Clorox
    Crest
    Herbal Essences
    MAC Cosmetics
    Tide
    Venus

... these are just a few of a huge list.

Once I learned this I threw away a ton of my makeup and perfumes/body sprays and have never missed them or looked back. I have always been a makeup lover but when I learned this I literally said to myself "you know what, I've always loved these makeups and personal care products... but I love bunnies WAAAAY more, so you're going in the trash". There are a lot of brands out there that DO NOT TEST ON ANIMALS, such as:
    Wet N Wild
    Maui
    NYX
    Too Faced
    Burt's Bees
    Australian Gold
    (...there are a lot but I can't remember anymore of them off the top of my head)

I just couldn't cope actively using products anymore that I KNEW for a fact was causing some poor rabbit somewhere (just like mine) immense suffering.

I refuse to wear or buy Victoria's Secret and other companies that choose to test on animals anymore also - I purged my closet because I couldn't stomach the thought of them anymore.

If you're like me and are incredibly interested in whether or not the makeup and other products you use are cruelty-free or not, I highly suggest you download and this app called "Bunny Free"

It lists a ton of brands and companies that are cruelty-free and also ones that do test on animals. If you dont find a particular brand listed in the app, you can most of the time just Google it up and find out but there are a small handful of brands I haven't been able to find out about even doing that so I stay away from them until I know for sure.

Hope this helped somebody!

Rabbitats likes this.
  8. Jul 5, 2018 #28

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

^ Actually, testing like that on animals is prohibited and no longer takes place in the US or EU. The only problem comes with any products sold in China. China requires all such products to be first tested on animals before being allowed on shelves. It's the Chinese government that needs to change that.

Of course the argument can be made against any company that sells to China, knowing that their products may then be tested by the Chinese on animals. But the companies aren't doing the testing.

Disclaimer: I don't trust anything put out by PETA. o_O

Popsicles likes this.
  9. Jul 7, 2018 #29

debbie10bee

debbie10bee

debbie10bee

There are a lot of doctors out there who say that but really they are wrong. It's true that being vegan is expensive. But other than that there is really nothing else bad about being vegan. Unfortunately a lot of people are misled about veganism. Like one time my friends said that you couldn't have babies unless you ate meat. Which is wrong. My mom had 5 babies and we are all still alive. I have realized that being vegan is hard, but I will still never eat meat. So I prefer being vegetarian. Because dairy is to good to pass up. But I have mad respect to the vegans out there.

Bellamy+Lilah likes this.
  10. Jul 7, 2018 #30

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

Bellamy+Lilah

I have actually saved a lot of money being vegan. I eat a lot black beans cause it's one of my favorite things and they are only like $0.85 at my local walmart for a can of them. If you buy ritzy vegan brand snacks left and right then it could be more expensive but if you eat mostly beans, almond milk, oats, and cook your own vegan patties and stuff like that it's not. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Rabbitats likes this.
  11. Jul 7, 2018 #31

Preitler

Preitler

Preitler

Well, I own rabbits because I'm not vegan.Or vegeterian, or any of those pseudoreligious stuff. I'm not too happy about how meat is produced commercially, so that is my answer to that dilemma. My buck is my free range pet bunny, living with me in the house, the 4 girls have their hutches and 200m² to roam, dig, or whatever. My freezer is well supplied with two litters per year. Which is fine since my does live in pairs and I try to retire the older two from breeding (about 6 years now, they aren't happy about that and sometimes find ways...)

There's nothing wrong with eating only vegan stuff, if one knows what he's doing, but quite often that is accompanied by a mindset that I'm not really comfortable with, like religious fanatics, claiming to be better humans because of their dietry choices.

This mindset, which causes a lot of suffering for animals here, and the destruction of the symbioses between lifestock and humans (detaching the population from animal husbandry is so stuopid, cruel, and shortsighted), is pretty stupid, detached, but unfortunatly sexy to politicians with no clue...

So, if someone claims to be Vergan, and therefore a better human, all my hairs stand up.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  12. Jul 8, 2018 #32

mizunodaddy

mizunodaddy

mizunodaddy

I am not a vegan, however, i was for 7 years. Unfortunately my body could not survive it properly and at the end of this 7 year period i lost 25 kg of pure muscles and was deeply anemic... it took me a while to be able to return to normal life. However, i only consume turkey meat and eat very little in general. I have a special diet due to heart problems (caused by veganism). I guess, veganism is not suitable just for everyone. And, of course, i would never be able to eat rabbit meat because it would be the same for me as eating e.g. cats or dogs...

Bellamy+Lilah likes this.
  13. Jul 8, 2018 #33

Buttercup808

Buttercup808

Buttercup808

I wish I could be vegan but very hard to give up the basic things. I'd never eat rabbit though!

mizunodaddy and Bellamy+Lilah like this.