Are most rabbit owners vegan?

Discussion in 'Let Your Hare Down' started by kingofeli, May 25, 2016.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

?

Are you vegan?

1. No, but I want to be

2. No, I don't want to be

3. No, but I am vegetarian

4. Yes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. May 25, 2016 #1

kingofeli

kingofeli

kingofeli

I was just noticing the high amount of vegan rabbit owners and it got me thinking: how many of you are vegan? I'm not vegan myself due to many reasons (I'm too picky to eat a vegan diet, for one).

Theo and Maxi like this.
  2. May 25, 2016 #2

BlackMiniRex

BlackMiniRex

BlackMiniRex

I love meat except for lamb (I don't find that tasty) I'm not vegetarian, but I don't think I could eat rabbit meat, I probably wouldn't like it anyways.
    Although, having a rabbit makes you eat a lot more veggies :) (which is good too)

Happy Bunno, Theo, Maxi and 3 others like this.
  3. May 26, 2016 #3

MaryAnne

MaryAnne

MaryAnne

I love meat. Beef, chicken, pork, and seafood, shrimp, cod, lobster, scallops. But I would never eat a bun. I had to leave a restaurant that had it on the menu. Just couldn't do it.

4. May 26, 2016 #4

majorv

majorv

majorv

Supporting Member

No vegans in our household! I've had rabbit and it's actually pretty healthy...in France it's a delicacy, which is where I first tried it. I prefer steak over anything else though.

Maxi likes this.
  5. May 26, 2016 #5

BlackMiniRex

BlackMiniRex

BlackMiniRex

Ew! I hate seafood! Lol

Yeah, I would think it would be healthy majorv, but I could never...��
    Mmmm! Steak is super good! I haven't had any for awhile though.
    We actually slaughter turkeys for meat, DEFINANTLY no vegans here!

Maxi likes this.
  6. May 27, 2016 #6

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

We've had rabbit too. My son hunted a jackrabbit which was quite tasty - contrary to what we had been warned.
    We're game (no pun intended) for trying any meat. My other son even cooked some rattlesnake -- also good!
    We eat deer, antelope, dove, duck, all types of seafood...even sushi!
    No vegans here. :nono

somebunnylovesme and Maxi like this.
  7. May 27, 2016 #7

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Sorry but I'm a Steakatarian, Ribeyes beware!

somebunnylovesme, Theo and Maxi like this.
  8. May 27, 2016 #8

LittlePanda0

LittlePanda0

LittlePanda0

I tried to go vegan before my bunny but am now a full vegetarian after having her for a while so maybe!

Maxi, mizunodaddy, Pipp and 2 others like this.
  9. May 27, 2016 #9

carmelsdad

carmelsdad

carmelsdad

why would they be? Heck, I even eat rabbit when I actually have time to go out hunting and manage to hit one. I think most people can differentiate between pets and food.

10. Oct 16, 2016 #10

petsforsnuggles

petsforsnuggles

petsforsnuggles

I don't eat red meat but that is mainly because I don't like the taste. I'll probably go pescatarian eventually.

Maxi and lunlow like this.
  11. Oct 16, 2016 #11

BlackRabbits

BlackRabbits

BlackRabbits

Veganism isn't all it's cracked up to be. The human body can't function without certain nutrients that are only found in meat or fish. Most vegans eventually end up eating meat again after years of their bodies becoming weaker and their muscles wasting. The suggestion to combat this if you're really against eating meat or fish is to take a fish oil supplement each day. It helps, but won't cure all of the deficiencies.

I've had a few gastric surgeries and my upper/small intestine is pretty much gone. I get sick after eating a lot of foods. I wanted to go vegan and my doctor sent me to a nutritionist who told me it's a bad idea for the reason I described above. It can also be extremely expensive thanks to grossly overpriced vegan alternative foods (like veggie burgers, vegan margarines, egg substitutes etc.) Anyone who wants to switch to vegan really needs to speak with their doctor and do their homework to find out which nutrients you'd be missing. I now eat nothing but vegetables, berries, yogurt or kefir, milk, butter, eggs and cheese. I eat fish or chicken once a month to get those missing nutrients, and I get regular blood tests to detect any problems.

12. Nov 28, 2016 #12

Parcel

Parcel

Parcel

Actually, veganism has been proved by the American Diatetic Association to be suitable for all life stages. I have been vegan for five years and my blood work has come back perfect, with the exception of my blood pressure and cholesterol being on the low side- which, if you ask me, is much better than the high blood pressure that leads to heart disease and that so many people have.

The thing is, meat is not meant to be consumed on a daily basis. There's a pretty direct correlation with the amount of meat people eat and the obesity rate- back when meat was considered expensive and wasn't consumed often, obesity was virtually obsolete. Animal agriculture is also extremely harmful to the environment- the Amazon is being destroyed to create pastures for cattle.

However, I'm vegan for ethical reasons. I couldn't imagine eating a dog or bunny, so why is a cow, pig, or chicken any different? Pigs are smarter than dogs, cows are perhaps the sweetest animals on earth, and my pet chickens used to follow me and sit in my lap. I'm not trying to push my views on anyone, but it seems that a lot of people here are against veganism, which I don't
    really understand.

Perhaps it's regional, but where I live, there are lots of vegans and restaurants that cater to them. I know people who have been vegan since birth and are perfectly healthy. Just something to think about.

13. Nov 28, 2016 #13

BlackMiniRex

BlackMiniRex

BlackMiniRex

back when meat was expensive it usually WASN'T processed, now it is, i'm no expert, but a lot of food now is pumped with GMOs that's why a lot of food is unhealthy. NON-ORGANIC plants are sprayed with chemicals to protect from bugs, the bugs die, so why would we NOT get sick from the chemicals? ORGANIC meat contains a lot of high quality protein that you can't get from anything else. ORGANIC meat comes from cows who have been fed on grass and other NATURAL food (like grains and such) NON-organic meat is meat that comes from cows who have been fed antibiotics and or other hormones, cows that do NOT get fresh grass (and other natural foods in their diet) NON-ORGANIC meat CAN cause obesity and other diseases. that why me and my family prefer to raise our own meat.
    (sorry if the paragraph above might be confusing, and i don't mean to offend anybody)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Happy Bunno likes this.
  14. Nov 28, 2016 #14
    Okay seriously guys?

This topic was doing fine.
    This is not a topic to argue about which animals you should or shouldn't kill and why. Any further discussion about that will result in warnings and bans. And is not acceptable to argue with each other over WHY you feel people should be Vegan or eat meat.

mizunodaddy likes this.
  15. Nov 28, 2016 #15

RavenousDragon

RavenousDragon

RavenousDragon

Are we allowed to argue about the word 'organic'? :p

Organic vegetables have just as many chemicals sprayed on them as non-organic. Further, organic cheese requires the stomach of a calf (for the renin), whereas non-organic cheese MAY (note-not every company does) use GMO bacteria to produce a purified renin.

And I love GMOs personally (and have made a few in my labs!) since often they are often able to have fewer pesticides (e.g. a plant with a gene providing natural resistance to a certain disease, tumor, or insect is placed in one which did not). AND the most common 'antibiotic' fed to cattle is ionophores, which are more like probiotics- they promote good bacteria in the rumen. They don't really kill anything.

Everything stated above only applies to where I live in the United States- I don't have any knowledge about any other countries etc.

That's why, personally, I love GMOs and definitely consume products which are not organic and will pretty much forever. (I also think its awesome that some people only eat organic and grow/ produce their own food, but I always encourage people to look up the pesticide laws regarding organic fruits and veggies- it does tend to surprise people).

16. Mar 27, 2017 #16

Alek

Alek

Alek

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I don't eat much meat (once a month maybe). My husband is the same way, he's not much of a meat eater. I could almost be vegetarian.

17. Mar 27, 2017 #17

Aki

Aki

Aki

It's actually not a delicacy, it's about the cheapest meat you can find (cheaper than chicken) which is telling about the conditions in which those rabbits are raised...

I don't eat rabbit obviously. I never could, even as a child. I admit it's completely illogical but I have no problem with eating some animals whereas a rabbit, a donkey, a horse or a deer are just not food in my mind (on the other hand, I spent time in Asia and met a lot of people who didn't bat an eyelash at the idea of eating a dog and thought the idea of eating a cat was ludicrous...). I don't eat a lot of meat and mainly poultry - only animals raised outside and certified by serious labels, because of ethics, of taste (it does make a big difference - I can detect an animal raised in a cage just looking at my plate in a restaurant) and of my own health ^^.

18. Apr 11, 2018 #18

MeuAmorbree

MeuAmorbree

MeuAmorbree

I eat everything including rabbit but it’s a culture thing for me it’s so goood.
    But I take breaks from meat every once in awhile and eat tons of greens and root veggies.
    This is my first pet and I don’t see him with a side of potatoes I love love love him.

19. Apr 11, 2018 #19

Lucky_2017

Lucky_2017

Lucky_2017

I only really like to eat chicken and turkey (so basically poultry) I could never be vegan, I love my eggs and milk too much. I’ve also seen that if you don’t shave a sheep for its wool there are many risks of infection and it’s extremely heavy for them. I have nothing against vegans, I think that it’s amazing that they are so dedicated to it! I’ve wanted to be a vegetarian for a while but the only thing stopping me is that cooking is my passion, especially chicken and shrimp. I mainly cook for other people though, so I don’t eat shrimp. I’m against eating rabbit, crocodile, rattlesnake, frog etc. I love animals it’s my other passion, I go out for walks in my local woods and love the wildlife and it’s always so beautiful. I don’t like eating lamb but if my family is having it sometimes I don’t really have a choice (I’m not forced to eat it, it’s just I don’t expect my parents to cook a completely different meal).

20. Apr 11, 2018 #20

UFCreel

UFCreel

UFCreel

Red New Zealands

I am sure my New Zealand Rabbits that don't meet the standard, For which they are raised. Wish i and my family were vegan.