are groundhogs a threat to rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosy

Reaction score
hello,
my rabbit is currently living outside in a nice hutch and huge run. i have noticed that we have a pesky groundhog on our property. is the groundhog a threat to my rabbit? will the groundhog harm my rabbit? please let me know. thanks!

The groundhog will not hurt your rabbit unless it figures out how to get into your rabbit's hutch or run. So make sure everything is very preditor-proofed.

what is the best way to ensure that everything is predator proofed?

Make sure nothing can dig in. You can do that by having a concrete paver floor or laying 1 ft of chicken wire around the outside perimeter of the run.

Can you send a picture of the hutch and run?

Nothing can dig in. there is a solid wood floor at the bottom of the whole thing. what im afraid of is a groundhog climbing into the enclosure. there is the wire around the cage with smaller openings on the bottom and slightly larger ones higher up. (sorry thats a bad description but couldnt figure out how to say it). my bun is quite large and could never fit through any of those holes. im afraid that a groundhog can climb to the higher holes and squeeze through those since those are larger and the groundhog is not that large. i guess my best option would be to cover up those larger holes? or maybe replace the wire mesh sorta thing with smaller openings. . i can try to send a pic of the enclosure later. thanks for your help!

I don't think a groundhog would climb into the run unless it really wants something in there, but that is very unlikely. I wouldn't worry too much, your rabbit should be fine.

Also, have chicken wire or another covering on top of the run to protect from raptors, crows, or other avian predators.

Latest posts

Back