Are ground cinnamon and nutmeg safe for a bunny to eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am wanting to make some bunny safe treats and would like to know if it would be safe to include cinnamon and nutmeg in the recipe. I keep reading conflicting info so I would just like to be sure. Has anyone ever given their buns anything with cinnamon or nutmeg in it?

Thanks!

Well, when giving sick rabbits pumpkin puree, the literature always says to make sure it doesn't contain spices, so I'd go with safety & say no. In fact I wouldn't give my rabbit Honey any treats except fresh or dried fruit pieces. Other treats may make the giver feel good, but aren't good for rabbits. Honey is happy for hours with a piece of brown packing material paper.

Sounds good. Now that I'm starting to read Lucile Moore's new book on nutrition, I'm going to be more flexible. Even some sugar is ok, though I think I'll reserve that for when Honey won't eat something necessary without it. Words of wisdom from Mary Poppins: a spoonful [less for a rabbit] of honey makes the medicine go down.

I didn't give it.. but Scamper managed to get to the gingerbread house and ate part of a gingerbread man with no bad effects. I was worried for a bit.

Latest posts

Back