Are females terrible?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My female rabbit is definitely a man's rabbit. She adores my husband and even prances around outside when the workmen are out. (They're doing some repair work next door at the moment)

My buck, Benji, loves cuddles - and he snores like billyo when he's really relaxed.

I've only ever had three rabbits ... Felix - which was when I joined here in a panic, he was unwell and consequently died at less than a year old.

Have Luna and Ben now and that's all I will have as I'm disabled and they're enough for me to care for.

The two sweetest bunnies we've had were both mini males. I have a female Checkered Giant--19 pounds--that is a lap bunny. We have also had males that were biting monsters and took a lot of work. Bonny did not like Nancy at all and would attack her legs any time Nancy was in the room, but she was a snuggle bun with me. We have a Lion that likes females better, but I think that is due to trauma before he came to us--he's fine now and will come when called. It varies from bunny to bunny.

For a bonded pair, I think it would be better to have one female at least.

Yes, I have noticed a difference. Females are more shy and seem to hate being picked up. However, one of my favorite rabbits, who is a really sweet but unfortunately unshowable mini Rex, is a female. Males are more outgoing but don't tolerate being held for as long as females. Of course, all my rabbits are intact so I can't tell you what exactly to expect.

It certainly does vary to the individual and not always the gender. But that's the great thing about adopting already desexed shelter bunnies. Is that they're adults, and their temperament is easier to understand. When you buy younger rabbits, you have no idea what sort of an adult temperament they're going to have. Best of luck with the trip, spend as much time as you need with any of them before making your decision. Ultimately, I think whatever you end up with, they're still adorable rabbits that you will love :)

In my 'rabbit owner life', so far I've had two males and one female. The female rabbit is the only one whom I can pick up easily. She jumps on my knees on her own and licks my face when she wants to be released. She is by far the easiest to handle out of the three. She's also clearly a lot more clever than the two males I've had.
I think that's really up to individuals and not really a male / female thing. I also hear a lot that lop are easier to handle than uppy ears dwarf, but the males I had were both holland lops and my female rabbit is a plain dwarf rabbit - she IS admittedly more skittish with people she doesn't know but with her family, she is the cutest thing ever.

@bunnyrabbit12345 : if you have no reproductive purpose taking her in, spaying is always best. It will help her being calmer and it will also avoid health issues such as uterine cancers or problems raised by phantom pregnancies. You can do that when she is fully grown up, generally around 7 months old, and of course with a rabbit-savy vet.

Between the sexes, I've only ever had female rabbits be aggressive towards me. However, they still all craved attention and face rubs, including the unspayed, cage aggressive one. And they all had their little quirks. I definitely didn't have preference over one or the other.

In general, males seemed to be more laid back to me, however, most of the rabbits I've ever had were all unaltered. I had a very sweet little lionhead doe which was spayed before I got her, but she still wasn't as demanding of attention as the boys.

Anyway, I do tend to gravitate towards male bunnies, and male pets in general. I also tend to prefer the company of male humans over females. I did pick a male rabbit because of my experience, and it was extremely important to me that I get a rabbit that would not be aggressive because I have small children. But I didn't just take into consideration the rabbit's gender; I also picked the calmest male of the bunch. I would assume that calmer females exist too. :)

I have 5 females and none of them are aggressive in the least. Two of them seem to be really timid no matter what I do though. I love my females, they are so sweet and intelligent. I have some very smootchy boy bunnies too, and they are more friendly, but I still really love my female bunnies.

My doe is a jealous girl! She's super super sweet but we tried to introduce her to our new bun and she wanted to eat her.... I read that neutering definitely helps females be less territorial and more friendly. We've been trying to warm them up slowly seems to be going better but I bet she would attack if we left them alone.

Latest posts

Back