Are bird droppings harmful to rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hello does anyone know if bird droppings are likely to be harmful to rabbits? We have had more birds visiting the garden lately where I let my rabbits out. I try to make sure the area is clean but you can’t always spot everything in the grass.

Feces of any species always has the potential to pass bacteria or parasites, but I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as there isn't a big build up of it. Just hopping around outdoors has that potential from a variety of different vectors , not just from bird poop. As long as a rabbit is healthy, not stressed, with a healthy immune system, it's not usually going to be a problem. Though if frequently outdoors then regular deworming might be something that is needed.

The biggest risk in your country of a rabbit contracting something outdoors is with myxo, rhd1, and rhd2. If your rabbit is vaccinated from all three then it's less of a concern. However if your rabbit doesn't have these vaccinations, that are needed to be given each year, then I would suggest keeping your rabbit indoors until properly vaccinated, and waiting the appropriate time for immunity to develop.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/vaccinations/

Feces of any species always has the potential to pass bacteria or parasites, but I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as there isn't a big build up of it. Just hopping around outdoors has that potential from a variety of different vectors , not just from bird poop. As long as a rabbit is healthy, not stressed, with a healthy immune system, it's not usually going to be a problem. Though if frequently outdoors then regular deworming might be something that is needed.

The biggest risk in your country of a rabbit contracting something outdoors is with myxo, rhd1, and rhd2. If your rabbit is vaccinated from all three then it's less of a concern. However if your rabbit doesn't have these vaccinations, that are needed to be given each year, then I would suggest keeping your rabbit indoors until properly vaccinated, and waiting the appropriate time for immunity to develop.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/vaccinations/
Thank you that is reassuring, we have all of our rabbits vaccinated up to date for all diseases mentioned above.

Pigeon feces can spread histoplasmosis to humans but I am not sure if rabbits can get that. In the US they do not vaccinate bunnies at all which is hard to accept for bunny owners!

Latest posts

Back