ARBA New Variety and Breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwarf_Angel04

Reaction score
The results are starting to pull in!!

Broken Netherland Dwarfs have passed!
Chocolate Band Dwarf Hotots have passed!
Broken Havanas have passed!

Tort lionheads did NOT pass. :shock:

However, Arden can present again next year - and if he fails, GailGibbons will start presenting (I think five colors) the year after.

Peg

Awww :cry4:

I'm estatic over the Chocolate Band Dwarf Hotots! This was their secondattempt at the 3rd showing. The couple who were doing the presentationhave been true hearted Dwarf Hotots breeders for many years. Lastconvention they were working on selling our of rabbits because ofhealth reasonbut oncetheChocolatesdidn'tpass they decided to give itone last try.Well, it worked!

You know what I think would be cool? BrokenFlemish! I have only ever seen one pic of a broken Flemish, and boy wasshe pretty! They are sooo rare, though, I would be afraid that to get abroken, you might have to let slip some of the size and quality of therabbits. It would take a long time and a lot of work, of course any newvariety/breed is that way.

Broken Flemish would be pretty. :D

Normally you do see in lower quality in the newer varities at first.But I'll tell ya, the broken ND's are a rock! I know a lot of breedersaround here have them and will be running them to the table that firsttime they can be shown. It wouldn't suprise me if the first time theBrokens are shown that they win the breed. Well, at least in my directarea.

As for theChocolate DH's.... they first popped up in 1995just 12 years afterbreed approval. So they hadn't had much ofa chance to develop fully before getting a new variety. 23 years afterbreed acceptance and the Chocolates are accepted but aren't all that'popular'. As a matter of fact the breed still isn't all that 'popular'although it is slowlyincreasing. I don't see ChocolateDwarfHotots dashing to the table the first time theycanbe shown. Ithink it will be another year or sobefore you really see them starting to hit the tables.

Which colors of lionheads are allowed? I was thinking there were only a few..but I dont know jack about showing! ;)

I could be wrong but: Shows are obligated toaccept tortise lionheads for shows because they passed at least onepresentation. Other colors are solely at the shows discretion. Howeveruntil the torts pass three presentations and are considered a fullyrecognized breed, they are not eligible for best in show or bestopposite sex. Hopefully Peg or Pam will correct me if I'm wrong, butthat's what I understand from info on the National Lionhead Club website.

mambo101 wrote:
Icould be wrong but: Shows are obligated to accept tortise lionheads forshows because they passed at least one presentation. Other colors aresolely at the shows discretion. However until the torts pass threepresentations and are considered a fully recognized breed, they are noteligible for best in show or best opposite sex. Hopefully Peg or Pamwill correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I understand from info onthe National Lionhead Club web site.

Correct. The Lions can only get Best of Breed or BestOpposite Sex of Breed (BOB & BOS are to be picked from allvarieties shown.)Lions are not eligible for anyhigher awards such as 4-class or Best in Show.

Pam

I just wanted to add something to the discussion on lionheads.

Pam, please correct me if I'm wrong - but it is my understanding thatif a show allows more than just tort for lionheads - then the BOB andBOSB can come from those other colors. For instance, if they allow allof the COD (Certificate of Development) colors - then the BOB and BOSBcan come from all 8 colors...which are:

REW (Ruby Eyed White)
Black
Chestnut
Tort
Fawn
Sable Point
Siamese Sable

and

BLUE! (Orange was dropped this year per permission of ARBA so that blue could be brought in).

There are some shows that allow ANY lionhead colors which is a greattime to see chocolates, otters, martens & more. However, mostshows that I hear of either allow tort only or the COD colors.

Peg

Sorry to interrupt the Lionhead discussion.

Here's the 'report' on the new breeds/varieties fromour District 8 Director.

New Varieties: Sable Point Mini Rex
Broken Netherland Dwarfs
Chocolate Dwarf Hotot

Presentations: Broken Havanas (2nd showing)
Lilac Havanas -- failed 1st try at 1st showing
Lionheads-Tort--failed 1st try at 2nd showing
Broken New Zealands--failed--no show
Sable Mini Rex--failed specialty club approval
Smoke Pearl Mini Rex--failed--no show--2nd try 1st showing
Solid Velveteen--failed -- no show
Orange Jersey Wooly--failed--no show
Fawn Jersey Wooly--passed 2nd try at 1st showing
Otter Rex--blue, choc & lilac--passed 1st try at 1stshowing
ChocolateAgouti Rex--passed 2nd try at 2nd showing
Copper and Otter Mini Satin--passed--1st try at 1st showing
Red Mini Satin--failed--no testicle on jr buck
Black Mini Satin--failed--no show
Himalayan Mini Satin--failed specialty club approval

Thanks for updating us....and since you're theone who started the thread...I think the lionhead discussion sort ofhijacked it....sorry!

Its nice to know everyone who passed though!

Peg

Oh, I've seen pics of Sable Point Mini Rex,those are really pretty. I will look forward to seeing them at showsand seeing them in the Standard.

TinysMom wrote:
I just wanted to add something to the discussion on lionheads.

Pam, please correct me if I'm wrong - but it is my understanding thatif a show allows more than just tort for lionheads - then the BOB andBOSB can come from those other colors. For instance, if they allow allof the COD (Certificate of Development) colors - then the BOB and BOSBcan come from all 8 colors...which are:

Peg

Best of Breed and Best Opposite of Breed can be picked fromany of the varieties shown (not just COD varieties). Ifsomeone shows up with an otter standard, then that otter is to beconsidered along with the rest of the varieties - whether it has a CODor not.

Pam

Just want to clarify that the newvarieties (sable point MR,brokenND, chocolate DH)won't go into effect untiFeb. 1st of next year.

Pam

Latest posts

Back