Applying for a companion for Rorschach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikamc

Reaction score
A local rescue just got in a litter of flemish babies. We have decided Rori might enjoy a friend. Help me feel better about this. She has pretty much NEVER been around another bunny (hand raised from 9 days old). I know this will be a process. I think I just want to hear that the failure rate for bunny introductions is low? I'm thinking a male would be better than another female?

If you want a companion bunny for your female, do not get a baby. If you do, there is a very real risk that they will not bond (once baby grows up). By that time, if that happens, you would be stuck with two rabbits that need to be kept totally separate.

In order to find a bondmate, the first thing needed is for your current girl to be spayed (if she isn't already). Once spayed, she should meet other fixed rabbits from a rabbit rescue. It doesn't really matter whether it is male or female. What does matter is that he/she is neutered. It is most important for your current girl to be the one doing the choosing. The bunny date helps to pre-screen for potential compatibility. If the bonding does not go well, the rescues typically allow an exchange to be sure you wind up with an actual bond.

You can read more about the bonding process here. Understand that the bonding process can vary greatly depending on the individual rabbits. Some bonds can go smoothly, others are much more difficult, and some just won't work at all.

I didn't listen... we went down to meet these bunnies and took Rori with us. She did great with all three of them. We got one. We did do some introduction time at home the next day, and it went well, mostly. He tried to hump her so we cut it short. He is ten weeks old so we are going to hold off on more intros until after he is neutered (Rori is already spayed). They'll take him back if it doesn't work (I'll be out the adoption and neutering money, but I'm ok with that)

I think, then, that holding off on any more interaction until after he's neutered is a wise idea. It can take up to 6-8 weeks after a neuter for hormones to fully dissipate. Many vets will wrongly suggest putting them together right away. Don't. Chances are those lingering hormones will interfere and prevent a bond.

I'm surprised, but glad for you, that they will be willing to take him back if it doesn't work out. Let's hope for the best!

I'm still super on edge about it all. I would be even if we got an adult bunny though, thats just me. I am weak though and have a thing for Flems!

Latest posts

Back