Apollo has itchy ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyjade

Reaction score
For the last 5-6 days, Apollo has been shaking her head and scratching at her ear. She doesn't do it that much, but I can tell it's bothering her. First it was her right ear and now it's her left. I looked inside her ears with a bright little flashlight but I didn't see anything. What could it be? Is there anything I can do for her at home, or should I just get her a vet appt. right away. :thanks:

--Kelly

Does the skin look at all flakey or crusty? That's a sign of mites. If both ears are involved, mitesmight make sense.

I'm not sure about a waxy build up in rabbits, I have to look into that, but I think that's possible, which may also involve both ears.

Ear infections are another concern (especially with lops)caused bybacteria or fungus, and they'renot very easy to see, even with a flashlight. I'm just not sure they'd be in both ears.

Also possible is a dental issue, abscesses or root problems can affect the ears. Is she drooling or have her eating habits changed?

sas

I've seen infections in both ears (not frequently) - I'd definitely see a vet.

Better safe then sorry!

Peg

Nope, the skin wasn't crusty or flakey when I looked. I couldn't see anything unusual. She's eating her hay and veggies and pellets like normal, and no drooling. I will call the vet tomorrow and book her an appt. then. Thank you all!

I got her an appointment for tomorrow at 2:00.If Sophie comes along for moral support, will they want to look at her too if they find mites on Apollo? I'm debating whether I should bring her or not; they don't like being seperated, but when they got home from the vets for their spay, there was some chasing and nipping from Apollo. I thought it might be better for Apollo to be the only one who smells like the vet so she doesn't start a fight with Sophie. What do you think? :ponder:

--Kelly

I'd take them both, you might get a free checkup for Sophieout of it. ;) Just make sure you mention she's onlyalong for the ride. They may want to give her a quick look if it is mites.

The bunnies shouldn't be so cranky this time, no pain,and the chances of chasing and nipping are probably as good if you only takeApollo, at least in my experience.

And it should be less scary for them.

Let us know how it goes!

sas

We're back! I know what it is now; I looked in my cat's ears last night because he was scratching, and I'm pretty sure he has mites. I don't know how he hid it so well, he wasn't scratching much at all but his ears have a lot of crusty stuff in them. So the vet thought the bunnies caught a mild case of mites from the cat. He gave them both an injection of Ivermectin, and told us to come back in 18days for another shot. Apollo stayed still when they gave her the shot,but Sophie flinched and tried to back up.:( I hate watching them get shots, I had to sit down. There was no fighting when we got home, but they are not pleased with me. So, now I need to get my cat a vet appt.I didn't even know bunnies could catch ear mites from cats.:rollseyes

Latest posts

Back