Anyone's rabbit still biting after neutering/spaying?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuppa

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering my Smokey was very defensive since I've got her at 8-9 weeks, she's 9 months now and getting better showing more trust and no more blood but I am still afraid to take a bowl from her cage or add hay because she complaints and jumps at me pushes me out, I am trying to avoid this kind of situation as still remember bad times when I was all covered in bloody scars. I want to spay her soon and wondering if anyone had similar experience and biting stopped after spay/neuter. Thanks!

Now, I didn’t have the problems with my doe but had it with my buck instead. For my buck neutering didn’t help but at least I could rule out the territorial for bunnies.

But if it’s a territorial thing it can calm down your doe with a spay :3

For my buck, he felt cornered when he was in the cage and I put my hand in his cage. Instead of hiding he attacked. So I always armed up with sturdy working gloves before putting my hand in his cage. I just ignored him and let him be and he soon learned that the hand was nothing dangerous.

I think it looks like territorial gloves is a great idea I should try to protect myself :)
I use a wooden toy rake with a long handle to get something from her cage, she attacks it too.
I only feel safe and can rub her nose through the bars and she likes it, or when I get her on my lap and hold her tight she loves being brushed and relaxed then but still I hold her head so her teeth can't reach my hand :)
Maybe I am too defensive now after all the experience it was really painful and I am never relaxed with her I am afraid she'd bite again so just not giving her a chance. But she's so gorgeous I love having her on my lap her fur became so thick and she's like a big cat now and she's so much better now but still there's plenty of work ahead.

I really hope that spaying would fix that territorial thing

just petting on her head and ears. she will feel very comfort.
always rabbits love petting on head and ears.

I think it looks like territorial gloves is a great idea I should try to protect myself :)
I use a wooden toy rake with a long handle to get something from her cage, she attacks it too.
I only feel safe and can rub her nose through the bars and she likes it, or when I get her on my lap and hold her tight she loves being brushed and relaxed then but still I hold her head so her teeth can't reach my hand :)
Maybe I am too defensive now after all the experience it was really painful and I am never relaxed with her I am afraid she'd bite again so just not giving her a chance. But she's so gorgeous I love having her on my lap her fur became so thick and she's like a big cat now and she's so much better now but still there's plenty of work ahead.

I really hope that spaying would fix that territorial thing

Myself is still afraid of putting my hand in my bucks cage, even though last time he bit me was in January. So the fear it’s still there but not as prominent. But good gloves protect really well during the hard times. As long it’s not a giant race we are talking about. Even shoes will be destroyed by them when they bite. They leave behind nasty bruises and wounds. I’ve been bitten by all my bunnies, the smallest bun leave no wounds behind while the largest leave huge bruises or wounds [emoji849]

So I can understand your fear perfectly well.

You can also just let her out from the cage when you are going to work with her cage or trying to destruct her with something. Until she’s at least spayed. I hope spaying will help with her territorial behavior but bare in mind that it does not always help[emoji5]

Petting my Rabbit and Some Fun With Her!

That's a lovely video thanks, just I was talking about difficult rabbits like my Smokey, she came to me from a very noisy home with barking dogs and their nephews around possibly not very gentle to her so she was very scared and defensive because of her previous experience with humans. She's much better now but still think that spaying would fix some problems. I have four other rabbits and they never bite just this one.

Myself is still afraid of putting my hand in my bucks cage, even though last time he bit me was in January. So the fear it’s still there but not as prominent. But good gloves protect really well during the hard times. As long it’s not a giant race we are talking about. Even shoes will be destroyed by them when they bite. They leave behind nasty bruises and wounds. I’ve been bitten by all my bunnies, the smallest bun leave no wounds behind while the largest leave huge bruises or wounds [emoji849]

So I can understand your fear perfectly well.

You can also just let her out from the cage when you are going to work with her cage or trying to destruct her with something. Until she’s at least spayed. I hope spaying will help with her territorial behavior but bare in mind that it does not always help[emoji5]
Yes I never clean her cage while she's there she'd be too nervous I have a travel box ready for her full of hay and treats so she goes in and waits there. She loves when her cage is freshly cleaned. :)

She's getting really big when I've got her in January I was told she's a mini lop but noo she's I don't know she's maybe more than 60 cm when laying honestly I like that she's so big now she's 9 months now

My male didn't bite, but once he hit puberty he peed and pooped everywhere my scent was strong. He would also spray and try to hump me and my cat. Getting fixed changed all that. If the behavior existed before the horomones kicked in, then getting fixed likely wont change things

Latest posts

Back