Anyone w/ experience regarding severely infected eye?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
My bun had an injury that resulted with a severe eye infection (even after going to vet and being on antibiotics). I was wondering if there was anyone who had experience with it, that I could ask a couple of questions? If someone could private message me or leave contact info, I would greatly appreciate it.

I haven't, but I remember a while back another member had a rabbit with a retrobulbar abscess and was able to successfully treat it using pen g procaine/benzathine injections. May not apply in your case, depending on the circumstances, but thought I would mention it just in case it might be helpful info.

I haven't, but I remember a while back another member had a rabbit with a retrobulbar abscess and was able to successfully treat it using pen g procaine/benzathine injections. May not apply in your case, depending on the circumstances, but thought I would mention it just in case it might be helpful info.

That is very helpful, thank you. I will mention it to my vet and see whathe says. The infection has dried up a lot. I think we are having better luck with the ciprofloxacin drops instead of the antibiotic ointment. I am worried his eye is shrinking though. The vet said that could happen when the eye has too much liquid sitting on it. It's looking like the eye will just need to be removed. Which scares me to death, because I was told it is a dangerous surgery. I am babbling lol thank you for the info JBun!

The infection he got after the injury is almost completely gone, but he STILL won't open his eye. Swelling has 100% gone away, so I don't know if he is purposefully keeping it closed or what. I have to really get in there and pry it open just to clean it and even then I can only get a tiny crack open. It's impossible(for me at least) to know what's goimg on wirh the eye itself, because it's still hard to tell what's the injury, what's the left over infection, what's the scar tissue, and what's the actual eye. Just so much going on in there right now. Vet says it's too soon to tell if it's scar tissue or just the eye healing. Still so worried about him.

Latest posts

Back