Anyone take their bunnies for walks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
Does anyone take their bunnies for a walk on a leash? If so, how did you attempt doing so?

I have 3 dogs that we take for walks several times a day and would love to see if I could get him trained to do so. I am pretty sure he would NEVER allow it, seeing as he is a bunny that HATES being held and is spooked easily, but I know there are people that do it successfully. I am tempted to at least try it.

Also, If walking bunnies is considered cruel, please let me know. I am still kind of a newbie to the rabbit world and am learning as I go. Any info is appreciated! ☺

I used to take my last bunny out for walks on a leash. It's not like walking a dog, you have to let them go where they want then pick them up and move them if they go the wrong way. I was going to train harvey to accept the leash but she said no way. I've decided it's best not to anyway. My last rabbit, we lived in LA, went for walks around the apartment complex. Now we live out in the boonies in Washington state. There are wild rabbits, raccoons, which can carry disease that would affect a rabbit. Wherever you live, weigh the risks involved. Also, if your bun hates the harness, and won't allow you to pick her up, it may just not be in the cards to take her for walks.

If you do want to try it, practice taking walks around the house first. Also be sure to use a harness, not a collar, as rabbits have been known to take fright suddenly and strangle themselves while out on a walk.

I think taking a rabbit out for a walk is risky. The safest would be rabbits that are sedate, have naturally calm natures. Nervous rabbits should not be taken on walks IMO, because they could get overwhelmed and freak out. If you are out walking with your rabbit and she becomes overwhelmed with panic and has a major freak out, how will you handle it? Just saying.

Some rabbits will take to a harness (only H-style are safe), some won't. But even those that do aren't going to do well walking along with 3 dogs. Rabbits don't "walk" like dogs. They hop a bit, then stop, may sit and graze awhile. Won't go in straight line. It is nothing like "walking a dog."

Unless one is doing agility, I don't see much of a point. They won't "get exercise" since it would be more exploring. There are many dangers from bolting at sudden noises, grass that potentially has fertilizer, weed killer or pesticides, fleas, mites, ticks. It is the more rare rabbit that may enjoy it -- but still not likely with the energy and activity of dogs at the same time.

After reading all these comments, I would say it's DEFINITELY not worth taking him out. He gets spooked easily. I thought he would like it since he loves exploring outside, but even then I have to leave the door slightly cracked for him bc he will get spooked and bolt inside. It just isn't in the cards for this bun. I am glad I asked. Thank you for the info everyone.

Probably the best since your bun gets spooked easily. Though if you had a calm bun, it is possible to take them on walks, kind of. It takes a lot of patience and time though. I had a little holland lop that I would take with me out to feed the horses. Then I would walk with him back to the house. This process consisted of me taking a few steps ahead then waiting for him to hop to me as I gently pulled a little on his leash to prompt him to hop in my direction. Then repeat, repeat, repeat. It's an extremely slow process, but I felt he liked it.

Other rabbits I've taken on walks, it's more of them hopping then me following wherever they wish to go. You also have to be really quick to gather them up if they start to get nervous about something. You definitely wouldn't want to do it with buns that are more inclined to freak out about things. The buns I have now wouldn't put up with a leash. Not only would they be uncooperative with it being put on, but they would probably just sit there and try and chew it off or have a fit that I put it on in the first place. It's easier if you are starting with a baby bun that you can train to accept it, and is a calm bun to begin with.

There are many dangers from bolting at sudden noises, grass that potentially has fertilizer, weed killer or pesticides, fleas, mites, ticks.

This is the main reason why we decided not to try to walk ours outdoors in public places. We are very fortunate that our current apartment has a private, second-floor patio where we can and do allow him to run around outdoors - he can experience the sun, wind and great outdoors, hopefully without being exposed to fleas, mites and ticks (perhaps some from birds?).

That said, my wife and I were walking nearby our place one evening, in a great hilltop park that is in our neighborhood. The park is somewhat unique in that it has a single entrance, and is completely surrounded by fence. In the middle is a great open lawn, and here one evening we encountered a woman and her two young daughters who had two healthy-sized rabbits on leashes/harnesses. I recall one was named Peter. :) They said that they had adopted the pair from friends who had to move away without them, and that they had been walked in the park for years. The new family had let them run loose (harnesses on still but leashes detached) in the big lawn area. They didn't stray far but they did run around a bit. Mostly they were exploring and grazing, as others here have said.

One thing I worry about is birds of prey, especially since Kimchi is so small. Fortunately there are no perches within view of our patio, plus from the air the opening to our patio would be a small target for a bird to fly down into. I presume I am being a bit paranoid on that point but I don't care. :) I would however be MUCH more cautious about that aspect if I let them run in an open field surrounded by tall trees, as this park I mentioned is.

Latest posts

Back