Anyone looking into getting your rabbit a friend please read. *2nd violent fight*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I have seen multiple members looking into getting another rabbit and I want to share my experience to show that it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

My two, Bugs and Lola, have been determined that they won't bond after weeks of endless scuffs and a violent fight. I have been housing them in separate cages in my bedroom until Lola is exchanged on Saturday. They can still sniff each other through the bars, but that's all the interaction they have.

About an hour ago, I was grooming Bugs. I came across a giant scab (probably an inch or so long and about a centimeter wide) that was caused during the last fight. It is large and is easily felt through the fur. I believed the scab was located on his face so I didn't bother checking his body, especially his side. I felt it and thought it was a tumor or a tick, both of which are concerning. It is located near his elbow. I put Bugs back in his cage and began cleaning and reorganizing my room. I gathered the large pile of dirty clothes and was going to do a load of bunny laundry. As I was folding my clothes in the living room (my bedroom is the closest one to the living room), I heard loud noises coming from my room. As the couch was in the way of my door, I figured it was the dogs playing with a toy so I didn't think much of it. I looked over and realized that both of the dogs were sleeping next to me. Something in my mind screamed "the bunnies!" I bolted to my room, dove in the cage and pulled Bugs off of Lola. I don't know how my 3-4 pound rabbit managed to get on top of my 6-7 pound rabbit, but he did.

I came to the conclusion that when I put Bugs in the cage, I didn't lock it. When he got bored, he must have tried pulling on the door and realized he could get out. It must have been difficult for him to open it as the door swings in. I had the steps pulled away from the cage so Lola couldn't get up there, so Bugs jumped 30 inches from the cage to the floor. I feel like I failed them. Again.

On to the injury. Bug's scab (mentioned before) was ripped off and was bleeding a bit. I put some flour on it (to absorb blood) and it stopped bleeding in about 10 seconds. I put some antibiotic ointment on it and put him back into the cage, being sure it was closed fully. I got a picture of the scab before the fight so I will post that. He is sleeping now so I won't bother him for another picture. Lola doesn't have any injuries, just a ton of fur was pulled.

I know I messed up, no need to remind me. This post is to show people who want to bond that there are risks.

Thanks for sharing. I am sorry you had to go through that. It is such a horrible feeling to see (or hear) rabbits in an all-out fight!

Rabbits look oh-so docile, so until one actually sees how vicious they can be, it is difficult for anyone to imagine it.

I appreciate that the cottontails bonding page has some videos showing a bonding going wrong. Seeing something like that with your own buns is incredibly stressful.

Those who have only experienced the easy bondings may assume that those who experience difficult (or impossible) bonds must just be doing something wrong. But this is seldom the case. Some rabbits simply do not like each other!

As @Alyssa and Bugs♡ says, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. :(

It's hard to see them like this because we were sure they were absolutely in love during the first date. I am tempted to give up on getting him a friend at all, but with the right girl, I am confident he (we) will be happy.

On YouTube, you see all of these people with pairs that were bonded within a week or two, and this is incredibly annoying because there isn't much about pairs that simply don't work.

Here's Bugs's scab before the fight. It's not the greatest picture but he wouldn't sit still20190611_130151.jpeg

Myself find it really hard bonding bunnies.

I own 3 bunnies, all neutered and spayed. First buck didn’t work with the doe, even though they didn’t fight. Second buck didn’t work, even though they slept next to each other (they had mesh between each other) and the doe even groomed him.

The second buck (Toste) got his whole paw bitten in mouth of the doe, she didn’t want to release him. And hearing him scream was the worse kind of feeling I have ever experienced.

Toste have now one small split on the ear that was bitten off by the doe. But, at least his paw didn’t break or get seriously wounded.

So now I’m trying to bond my bucks with each other. Only because one of the bucks have never act aggressive towards any of my bunnies and will only chase. But often he will just ignore them.

So holding my thumbs they can at least be friends.

I thought I'd give you guys an update on Bugs's wound and also, something I found out about their relationship.

Bugs's wound isn't as deep as it appears in the picture and it doesn't hurt when I touch it. I've been putting antibiotic ointment on it. You can tell the scab fell off though. He is acting normal, other than he just seems a little shook from the fight. He is currently jumping up and dowm my bed repeatedly, so he's not in pain. I'll insert a picture that I just took of it below.

I was reading the link @Blue eyes provided, and I came across something that says that their first meeting was a sign that they wouldn't work out. This perfectly describes Bugs and Lola. I'll post a screenshot of that too. So no grooming on the first date?

I'm also worried we are going to choose the wrong one again. Hopefully not, but judging by my recent luck, it's going to happen. 20190612_061854.jpegSnapchat-1520591576.jpeg

Interesting. I don't recall reading that little bit before but it makes sense. One of my bond attempts with Sapphire had the same result. One was grooming the other on the first meet and the rescue thought -"oh, a match made in heaven." Far from it. They ended up irreconcilable. She was a picky girl and rejected a couple males before deciding she liked Mocha.

I'm curious as to whether Sapphire or Mocha was the one to groom during the date.

Bugs seems to love Lola (aside from the fight, although he could have just wanted to see what it's like in her cage because he hasn't been in there, but that's probably unlikely). It's her that doesn't seem to like him. He was the obsessive groomer, to the point where I thought it was a problem.

I will also ask to have the dates be longer this time. There will be another person with her male doing dates so we can see if Lola is one of those bunnies that should be kept alone, or if she really just didn't like Bugs.

Latest posts

Back