Anyone Have Turtles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
I usually feed my box tortoise some dark leafy greens, some kind of fruit, and a little pelletted food every few days. Well the past few weeks she has only been eating the fruit. Any ideas on how I can get her to eat greens? I've tried switching it up thinking maybe she prefers one over the other but its the same thing. She maybe eats a little but leaves the majority of it. The first thing she does for is the fruit and probably eats all of that before touching the greens. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Tori

I also have a box turtle :)

Fruit should be more of a treat because as you've experienced, turtles can start to be picky eaters and only want the fruits. The same thing can happen if you start feeding worms/live foods. I started feeding my guy worms and thats all he'd want. He stopped eating his veggies or pellets.

Eliminate it from your turtles diet for a while to get him to start eating the leafy greens and more veggies.He might go on a hunger strike(turtles can go a long time without food so dont' worry) but he should eventually come around. After a while you can add some fruit back into its diet but not at every meal, more as a treat.

Good luck

I had a feeling that's what it might be. I've spoiled his sweet tooth :rollseyes Well I will just give him his green and pellets and hope he comes around, which I'm sure he will. Thanks so much for your help!

Success! I just wanted to let anyone who was curious know that my little Mo finally ate some greens. He likes to spread his food around so its been difficult for me to tell if he's been eating. But then yesterday afternoon I actually saw him eating it. After I cleaned his water bowl and misted his cage I thought maybe he'll be in a mood to eat, and ta-da! Thank you degrassi for your help!

Latest posts

Back