Anyone have success with trios?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby Kyhos

Reaction score
Currently I have 2 rabbits (Chloe and Moe). One of my friends had to give up her rabbit and asked if I would take him, since she couldn't have him. I am currently fostering but thinking about adding him into my bunny family.

I have done a lot of research and know all of the pros and cons of a trio and I don't want to risk splitting up Chloe and Moe. Does anyone have fail and success stories of bonding a trio? I really want to hear both sides.

If I feel bonding the 3 isn't a good idea, I will work on either finding a good home for Louie (new bunny) or just keeping him separate. Also I won't be able to bond them until Louie is neutered which I already have scheduled.

Thanks in advance!

I know of many rescues that have bonded trios available for adoption, but those were typically created by placing all 3 (stranger) rabbits together at the same time. If there is already a bonded pair, then adding a 3rd can, as you've mentioned, risk breaking up the original pair.

Trios are usually either all female, 1 male and 2 females, or -- occasionally -- 3 males. It is rare to have 2 males and 1 female. The reason 2 m with 1 f doesn't often work is because the 2 males will fight over the female.

All of this, though, depends on the individual personalities of each of the rabbits.

I had a female who had lost her partner. When I brought her into the rescue for bunny dates, they had 2 male brothers that were not bonded but did get along. They suggested I try bonding all three (they knew me from prior rabbits). There was weeks of constantly changing hierarchy among the three of them. Ultimately the two brothers ended up irreconcilable. I ended up having to give back one of the boys and keeping the other as a bondmate for my girl.

Since you already have a m/f bonded pair, introducing a 3rd rabbit does run the real risk of upsetting the current bond. In fact, the mere presence of the 3rd rabbit in your home can cause your pair to have disruption in their bond. If the new guy is also hormonal, then that scent has the potential to wreak even more havoc between your pair. But, as mentioned, it really depends on the individual rabbits.

You might want to consider what you would do if you attempt the trio and it does not work. What if the new boy bonds with one of the bonded pair and the other one is left out? Would you be ok with that? If so, then no worries. Just consider the possible outcomes and what you are ok with.

Thats a very good point. I may need to move the other rabbit to a different room until he is fixed. Though i don't think another room will matter much. Currently the Moe and Chloe still seem good together. Chloe doesn't care about the new bunny. But you can tell Moe is a little different. Just seems to be more protective of Chloe.

But yea i would have a hard time seeing the original 2 split up just because they were so easy to bond. I would be sad to break that up 😔. I have a month until the new bun is neutered and have some time to decide and think about all of this before I do try bonding them. More than likely a lot of research as well! I dont want to rush this

Latest posts

Back