Anyone have pics of Chinchilla rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys. As my Maisie is growing older, I've noticed that she's now gotten a very dark gray lining around the top edge of her ears. The rest of her is a very dark gray underneath a very light gray color. She has a white belly, and a mixture of white and very light gray on the lower sides of her body. Her tail is very dark gray on top (the side thatrests against her back), and white on the bottom. I've also noticed a very dark gray line developing along the top line of her eye(about a couple mm away from the white that lines them). She also has a white chin.

From what little pictures online I can find, she most certainly look slike a Chinchilla breed (though her mom was white, I think her dad was Chinchilla, so I guess technically she would be a mix between the two). Do any of you have pictures of this breed, or could you maybe tell me if what I've described sounds like a Chinchilla breed. I can most certainly guarantee she wouldn't qualify for a "giant" anything, but she could be an American Chinchilla.

I would furnish pictures to you if I could. I will probably be buying a little one-time-use camera to take pics of her tomorrow so I can post them. I'll also then be able to show her size and her markings better.

Thank you guys!

I'm about to head back to bed and am too tired to do a web search - but I wanted to let you know that it is possible to have chinchilla coloring in other types of rabbits. For example, I have a chinchilla lionhead - it is still a lionhead but with the chinchilla coloring....

If no one else replies to this I'll try to do a search later today...

Peg

What do you see when you blow into her fur on her back?

Does it looklike any of these colorings?

varring2.JPG
varring1.JPG

By the color description you gave, I'd guess she hasOpal coloring (last picture).

Of the four, it's the most like the second. Her fur is dark gray in the middle (just a bit smaller in size than the second pic from the left), a white ring around that (about the size of that pic's white ring), then a ring of dark gray about half the width of the white, and another even thinner one of white on the very outside.

Does that help?

(Lol...poor Maisie. Kinda freaked her out by picking her up,but she stayed good while I blew into the poor dear's fur! :D)

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:

varring2.JPG
varring1.JPG

By the color description you gave, I'd guess she hasOpal coloring (last picture).

maherwoman wrote:
Of the four, it's the most like the second. Her fur is dark gray in the middle (just a bit smaller in size than the second pic from the left), a white ring around that (about the size of that pic's white ring), then a ring of dark gray about half the width of the white, and another even thinner one of white on the very outside.

Does that help?

(Lol...poor Maisie. Kinda freaked her out by picking her up,but she stayed good while I blew into the poor dear's fur! :D)

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:

varring2.JPG
varring1.JPG

Yes, that helps... That second picture from the left is of the Chinchilla coloring on a Mini Rex, although it's the same look for Chinchilla coloring in any breed.

As Pam stated, Standard Chinchilla's are not all that common, however you can find a good number of Chinchilla colored rabbits in a lot of breeds.

Thank you very much! She actually has the exact coloring as the bunnies in the pics on the website you recommended...right down to the almost striped apprearance.Though she's still very young, she even has quite a similiar body type(minus a bit of weight and maturity that I can see in the bunny's faces).

BTW...found my camera, and I'll be taking pictures probably tomorrow(when I'm less tired) and get them developed right away so I can actually show you what I mean. :D

pamnock wrote:
Here's a website with Standard Chin photos http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/dixonsrabbitry/

Standard Chins are not common, and many breeds have the chinchilla color, so your rabbitmay be amix.

Pam

Your rabbit is also adorable -- but not a Standard Chin :) Could very well be a lop mix (Mini or FrenchLop mix) by looking at her ears. Many breeds come in the same color as the standard chins.

Pam

OK...here is a good picture of Maisie that shows her coloring. The second one is good to show her size. The panels on her cage are about 14".

rkmoat.jpg

rkmp28.jpg

Hope this helps! :D

Latest posts

Back