anyone have guinea pigs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
ok I know this is a rabbit forum, but I also have guinea pigs and wondered if others did too. you see,this morning I was going about my rabbit and piggie chores and I noticed that Pumpkin couldn't seem to eat his carrot. He LOVES carrots and he was TRYING to eat it but couldnt! So Immediately looked at his teeth and both of his bottom teeth broke down to the gum line! I am not sure WHY or what caused this. I know that he sometimes gets into a bit of a tussel with his "brothers" but they rarely actually BITE each other, and certainly not where he would break his teeth.

I am worried that he won't be able to eat his pellets or his hay. He seemed to manage to munch a lil bit of hay. I also took some veggies and ran them threw my juicer and he was able to eat the pulp. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice on this.

I have 5 guinea pigs but unfortunately I'm not much help as I have never come across this issue!

How is your pig doing now?
I would definitely take him to the vet asap! And if he is still unable to eat, syringe feed him critical care to ensure he is not going to lose weight and still getting necessary nutrients.

You don't want for him to end up losing weight drastically or for his gut to slow from him not eating!

I have 4 pigs as well.
Definitely syringe feed him critical care or pellet mash. Like BunnyBlossom said, you don't want his gut to slow.
You should check out guineapigcages.com and post in that forum...
I think past lethal white pigs (genetic defect, they usually are missing teeth and have other issues) who don't have front teeth have been able to eat long, thin sliver cut veggies if they can move it to their back teeth. You could try that.

Latest posts

Back