Anyone have any issues with use of Cisapride (Prepuside)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binky4eva

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first thread as am a new member. So gday.

Recently I have been using under the guidance and prescription of my rabbit savvy vet Cisapride (Prepuside) to prevent stasis in one of my rabbits that was more prone to it. The dosage can be 2 to 3 times a day I Screenshot_20200127-123050.png understand, or every 8 hours, but I was only using it every 2nd or 3rd day over a 3 to 4 week period. However Sun I did give it at 2040 and then again Mon at 0810.

This medication was taken off the market for humans, for causing arrythmias, however is still used for rabbits. Each time I gave the dose to Amaretto, she seemed better, especially after I rubbed her tummy a little and moved some of the wind. It could have just been that part of it that was helping.

Returning from work Mon morning, she didn't seem right as normal so I repeated the dose, rubbed tum, still wasn't right and so rushed her to the vet. Of course was a public holiday here. Vet noted her heart was slower than usual, but on the slow side or normal at 9am, her temperature down and few gut sounds. Couldn't feel any blockages. Definitely not bloat. More on the floppy side. Vet gave her some Metacam (anti-inflammatory), 50mls s/c fluids and a s/c temgesic (opiod) injection.

Instructions were: keep her warm, take her home and syringe critical care and repeat s/c opiod analgesia every 12hr but could be every 8hr. Vet was highly suspicious of Cisapride (was not the one at the practice who had prescribed it) because of the reaction on her, but couldn't do reversal. Left vet at 0935.

1000 force feeding critical care via syringe into towel wrapped Amaretto at she started having arrythmias. Her pupils were dilating and not responding then she would respond and then black out. I am rubbing, pounding on her heart, bawling my eyes out trying to desperately contact the vet again (who had just handed it over to the next one on duty for the public holiday)....twice leaving messages and not getting a response. She was on another call. I kept pounding on the chest, but Amaretto kept leaving me. Finally I gave up and thought I had devastingly lost her. The nearest other emergency vet 20mins drive away and no one to drive me.

When suddenly she righted herself up. So I rushed inside, dialed this vet and started to explain I was coming in, expense or no expense...Amaretto deserved the right to live. Grabbing my car keys. Am as I was explaining...dear Amaretto let out an awful scream and collapsed in my arms and was gone. Just like that.

1.I am beating myself up that I didn't:
head up there first up when it all started.
2. Tried to force feed her in first place when she obviously so unwell.
3. Gave her the medication in the first place.

Am so so so worried about very bonded mate Malibu.

So sorry this is so long winded. But it had to be, to explain the situation.

Run free Amaretto at the bridge

Recently I have been using under the guidance and prescription of my rabbit savvy vet Cisapride (Prepuside) to prevent stasis in one of my rabbits that was more prone to it. The dosage can be 2 to 3 times a day I View attachment 44836 understand, or every 8 hours, but I was only using it every 2nd or 3rd day over a 3 to 4 week period. However Sun I did give it at 2040 and then again Mon at 0810.

This medication was taken off the market for humans, for causing arrythmias, however is still used for rabbits. Each time I gave the dose to Amaretto, she seemed better, especially after I rubbed her tummy a little and moved some of the wind. It could have just been that part of it that was helping.

Returning from work Mon morning, she didn't seem right as normal so I repeated the dose, rubbed tum, still wasn't right and so rushed her to the vet. Of course was a public holiday here. Vet noted her heart was slower than usual, but on the slow side or normal at 9am, her temperature down and few gut sounds. Couldn't feel any blockages. Definitely not bloat. More on the floppy side. Vet gave her some Metacam (anti-inflammatory), 50mls s/c fluids and a s/c temgesic (opiod) injection.

Instructions were: keep her warm, take her home and syringe critical care and repeat s/c opiod analgesia every 12hr but could be every 8hr. Vet was highly suspicious of Cisapride (was not the one at the practice who had prescribed it) because of the reaction on her, but couldn't do reversal. Left vet at 0935.

1000 force feeding critical care via syringe into towel wrapped Amaretto at she started having arrythmias. Her pupils were dilating and not responding then she would respond and then black out. I am rubbing, pounding on her heart, bawling my eyes out trying to desperately contact the vet again (who had just handed it over to the next one on duty for the public holiday)....twice leaving messages and not getting a response. She was on another call. I kept pounding on the chest, but Amaretto kept leaving me. Finally I gave up and thought I had devastingly lost her. The nearest other emergency vet 20mins drive away and no one to drive me.

When suddenly she righted herself up. So I rushed inside, dialed this vet and started to explain I was coming in, expense or no expense...Amaretto deserved the right to live. Grabbing my car keys. Am as I was explaining...dear Amaretto let out an awful scream and collapsed in my arms and was gone. Just like that.

Recently I have been using under the guidance and prescription of my rabbit savvy vet Cisapride (Prepuside) to prevent stasis in one of my rabbits that was more prone to it. The dosage can be 2 to 3 times a day I View attachment 44836 understand, or every 8 hours, but I was only using it every 2nd or 3rd day over a 3 to 4 week period. However Sun I did give it at 2040 and then again Mon at 0810.

I’m so sorry for your loss, I feel your pain and guilt. All the what if’s play games in our minds and if we had done it sooner...I’m going through the exact same motions ! After reading your post and sharing your grief I realise that there was nothing we both wouldn’t have done to help our fur babies. They are like our family & children ! We have done the best we could with the knowledge we had and I hope in time we make peace with our guilt. Iv heard of cistapride but my vet did not agree to use motility drugs for some reason. She didn’t even like me using gas drops on my bun when I saw a big improvement saying it was like morphine to a rabbit. I didn’t agree with her. I’m not a vet but I know I did my absolute best to help my fur baby and you have too. Take comfort in knowing your bun was with you during his last moments knowing he was loved so so much, take care xx

Very true
I’m so sorry for your loss, I feel your pain and guilt. All the what if’s play games in our minds and if we had done it sooner...I’m going through the exact same motions ! After reading your post and sharing your grief I realise that there was nothing we both wouldn’t have done to help our fur babies. They are like our family & children ! We have done the best we could with the knowledge we had and I hope in time we make peace with our guilt. Iv heard of cistapride but my vet did not agree to use motility drugs for some reason. She didn’t even like me using gas drops on my bun when I saw a big improvement saying it was like morphine to a rabbit. I didn’t agree with her. I’m not a vet but I know I did my absolute best to help my fur baby and you have too. Take comfort in knowing your bun was with you during his last moments knowing he was loved so so much, take care xx

Very true. We do our very best regarding our buns and they definitely are our fur babies. And she was with me doing her last moments, so that would have helped.

Malibu is slowly adapting, but I am still watching him closely. He is such an independent bun in regards to wanting human contact. I am searching around trying to find a suitable mate or two deserving of him.

.....and then starts the long, slow, process of

INTRODUCTION, BONDING and LOVE.

Very true

Very true. We do our very best regarding our buns and they definitely are our fur babies. And she was with me doing her last moments, so that would have helped.

Malibu is slowly adapting, but I am still watching him closely. He is such an independent bun in regards to wanting human contact. I am searching around trying to find a suitable mate or two deserving of him.

.....and then starts the long, slow, process of

INTRODUCTION, BONDING and LOVE.

aww hope you find a suitable mate for Malibu.
Buns are so adorable and each have their own personalities. My grey bun Bubbles is doing well but shows signs of sadness since his mate Chocolate passed 3wks ago. He constantly licks me when I go near him I’m sure he feels my sadness and tears. I think we all need time to adjust. Need to give them more love and cuddles so they know their human family is here to comfort them, sending bunny hugs to Malibu x

Ree, I wish my Malibu would let me show him some luv. He is such an independent bun. Amaretto would tolerate more handling, but Malibu just always wants to do things on his terms. The rescue I got him from previously had named him "sir Thumps a lot". Lol. I love that you can comfort your Bubbles on your Chocolates' passing. I hope you can find a mate soon. Please keep us updated with progress.

Reactions: Ree
Hi, I'm new to the group and haven't updated my picture yet. However, I wanted to reply to your message right away. First I'm very sorry about your loss with Amaretto and I hope Malibu will be ok.

A couple of things. Yes I do use Cisapride for my English Spot Willie, he has megacolon and it's helped him to have a normal GI without making a mess. He's actually very healthy now and still on it.
My neuro issue baby, Jamie is on his side and has had problems with mushy poop from his Cecum from the get-go. We recently tried giving him Cisapride but it looked like he was about to go into a seizure and go vestibular the two times I gave it to him. 1/2 Pill a day 2.5Mg. I immediately took him off of it. Whatever it is, it doesn't mesh well with his nerves since he already has a neurological issue.

Now about Malibu...Willie was bonded with another rabbit, Penny, until her passing early 2018. He did not want to come out of his space for 2 weeks and had trouble eating because he was so depressed. To get him out of his depression, I spent a lot of time with him just focusing on him. I made sure he was included in the family room space even though he didn't get along with my other bunnies. I made sure he ate and even changed up his food so it would taste yummy to him. Just as long as he had nutrition. I also left a stuffed animal in his bed so he felt he wasn't alone. In essence, I spoiled him, but I think that actually helped him to overcome his pain. He finally is bonded with another rabbit in the household and happy once again. Maybe try the same for Malibu?

Anyway, my best to you and your family.
Katrina

Good thoughts there. Interesting that one of your furbabies is able to tolerate the Cisapride and does a world of good for them and the other was potentially going to be a major problem. Just shows how different how furbabies can react to medications, just as us humans can.

Malibu, is adjusting to being alone at present. He seems to be coping with his grief and has accepted that sadly Amaretto is no longer with him.

When she first passed, I left her in the area with him for over 24 hours so he could spend time with her remains and have time to groom her body and adjust to her lack of movement and response. This appeared to help him accept the fact that she was gone and not just left him. I only took her, to bury her, when the ants became too much of a problem. He would be trying to groom her....but would back off because of the ants.

I am still going to get him a mate or two, but am being extra selective and biding my time.

It’s true fur babies have different tolerances to medicines. Not all breeds are alike. Just like people.
Malibu will get over his loss in time. It took Willie 2 years to get over his depression. We had Bo when His Penny was still alive. They fought constantly. But rabbits are social creatures. With time they’ve become friends and now bonded. You will know when it’s time to get another one.
Good luck!

Ree, I wish my Malibu would let me show him some luv. He is such an independent bun. Amaretto would tolerate more handling, but Malibu just always wants to do things on his terms. The rescue I got him from previously had named him "sir Thumps a lot". Lol. I love that you can comfort your Bubbles on your Chocolates' passing. I hope you can find a mate soon. Please keep us updated with progress.

How is Malibu going ? And how are you feeling now?
Iv been struggling with guilt but am starting to feel a little better. I havnt look into another rescue yet for Bubbles who is doing quite well. He has his sad moments like me but is enjoying all the extra attention we are giving him. He’s nearly 7.5yrs and going strong with no health issues unlike my baby Chocolate, miss him so much. Hope you and your fur baby are feeling a little better xx

Hey Ree,

Wow 7 and half. That is a great age for Chocolate. ♥. Malibu is doing quite well at the moment. He is such a fiercely independent spirit, that he has accepted Amaretto's departure a bit better than I have, I think. He still likes to free roam outside his run and I am looking at investing in having a larger extension put up for his safety now that he is currently a lone bun. Still would like to get him a mate or two, but am waiting until the timing is right. At the moment...am organizing the enclosure enlargement in the backyard which will cost about a grand and means safer from overhead predators and neighbors cats when the dogs are in at night. Then he can truly be the free spirit he desires and roam safely outside his internal run.
He will NOT STAND being in his large internal run 24/7 which is 8m by 5m with underground pvc pipes to tunnel in. Neither would Amaretto!!!!
They have a similar safety set up in the main yard...
.but only part of it is enclosed.....

I am getting the rest enclosed over the hills hoist......

2buns versus cat...FINE....
1bun versus cat...

IT STRESSES ME OUT.....

Hey Ree,

Wow 7 and half. That is a great age for Chocolate. ♥. Malibu is doing quite well at the moment. He is such a fiercely independent spirit, that he has accepted Amaretto's departure a bit better than I have, I think. He still likes to free roam outside his run and I am looking at investing in having a larger extension put up for his safety now that he is currently a lone bun. Still would like to get him a mate or two, but am waiting until the timing is right. At the moment...am organizing the enclosure enlargement in the backyard which will cost about a grand and means safer from overhead predators and neighbors cats when the dogs are in at night. Then he can truly be the free spirit he desires and roam safely outside his internal run.
He will NOT STAND being in his large internal run 24/7 which is 8m by 5m with underground pvc pipes to tunnel in. Neither would Amaretto!!!!
They have a similar safety set up in the main yard...
.but only part of it is enclosed.....

I am getting the rest enclosed over the hills hoist......

2buns versus cat...FINE....
1bun versus cat...

IT STRESSES ME OUT.....

Hey Binky4eva,

Wow you have your work cut out! Good on you for making Malibu more comfortable & happy.
It’s sounds like he is coping quite well which is great other than issues with his run and the cat.
They are so funny and different in nature, I love that but it does stress their human parents abit lol....
We are well, Bubbles is missing his mate Chocolate but coping better than me ! But I am getting there, just struggling with negative thoughts and the What Ifs ? If I only did more etc. in time will improve and accept the fact that there’s nothing I wouldn’t have done to help him. Iv just spent the day making Bubbles homemade treats which he loves ! First time since Choccy passed so I’m getting better. Hope your ok ? And your bunny renovation progresses with no hiccups lol I sometimes think our fur babies rule the house !! But I do love their unconditional love they provide ... keep up the fantastic job your a great fur baby mummy xx

The buns definitely DO RULE the roost even though the cats like to think they do. The Reno's are going to cost me around a grand....or more....but will ease my mind as to Malibu safety regarding free roaming in a larger enclosed environment. So worth it for peace of mind. Will upload photos as it progresses.

I am gradually accepting things and realizing that Malibu has accepted being a lone bun for now. Introductions can be so hard and involved and finding neutral territory so difficult. But I do have 2 areas he has never been in. So there is hope for the future.

At the moment I have the two "love buns", my current pair Bailey (m) and Sambuca (f) to worry about. She was safely desexed 10months ago and I almost lost her through shock...nervy bun. But she has bonded beautifully with Bailey unneuteted male. Obviously no benefit in getting him desexed as they outside in safe enclosure with outside safe run area extension which already cost me $3000...., and he not overly aggressive or sprays too much.

BUT....he has one undesecended testes. Left untreated could turn cancerous. So has to come out as SPAY not NEUTER....$180. this Fri am. Just my luck. Hoping he OK. Cos he very Mr independent too.

Pats for Bubbles. Be kind to yourself. As bunny parents we are sometimes our own worst enemies and much harder on ourselves than others.

We just need to learn from our experience and do better next time. I know that is what our buns would want us to do xo

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_182301.jpg
    IMG_20200211_182301.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back