Anyone have a rabbit that is NOT spayed/neutered, and HAPPY the way they are?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have two girls that are not spayed and they are fine - Sullen the New Zealand White was quite a handful during her teenage stage - from about 4 - 10months. When she turned one year old she totally changed and is calm and perfectly litter trained. Landy a Checkered Giant was always well behaved and littertrained. Well I mean they both chew wires and Landy destroys all the baseboards - she is like a beaver Im serious - she chews them up and spits out the pieces - nice white baseboards and pretty new house but what can I do - she is so lovable - she carries her two stuffed animals around and brings them to me and she brings me my socks and does flying binkies and is so happy to see me and gives me bunny kisses. Sullen is in charge of the house - she is the dominant one - and very detemined to get what she wants and when she wants it. She is the alarm clock - when it is time to get up it is time to get up - but she is so cuddly and smells so sweet- although she is getting a little plump with all those treats. I cant have them together because Sullen is dominant.

As everyone has said, not spaying was not an option. I did, however, put it off for as long as possible because I knew it would really upset me.

We got a baby girl about two years ago, then another, older girl, then a grown boy. Our boy, Alfie, was already neutered and his owner claimed it hadn't calmed him down any, but they failed to mention he'd been poorly bonded with another male, and they fought for everything. Poor Alfie was covered in scabs when he came to us. He still has behaviour problems now so I dread to think what he was like intact with another male. But yeah, that choice was taken out of our hands but we would have had him neutered had we got him intact.

Our first girl was next, as she and Alfie had been showing some interest in each other and we wanted both of them to have a friend. We had her done at just over one and she coped admirably. After she had healed it was a matter of weeks before they were living together. I think she's been good for him because she is very much the boss. As soon as he accepted that they were in love, haha. They are a VERY destructive couple, though. Can't have anything nice around them, hahaha.

The second girl we got was now living alone. She's sooo timid and introverted, so I put off having her done for a good while. She's the biggest out of all of them but she's definitely the softest. She got well into two years old before I bit the bullet and had her spayed last week. I cried, lol. She's never had any bad habits apart from pooing whilst out, and weeing when she could smell our other girl.

She's recovering nicely, and I think we'll try to bond all three when she's healed. Although Harriet seems to HATE her, so we may be looking at getting a new baby for Jessie as I think she'd be a wonderful surrogate.

Sorry for the essay! Short of it is no, we have no intact buns and wouldn't ever NOT get future buns done! :)

I had Minion fixed, and I was glad I did, it mellowed him out. But for the rest of the rabbits, it's not getting done. Harold doesn't stink like Minion did, neither ever sprayed. Harold's also extremely laid back. On the last point, he's my stud, so obviously fixing isn't an option at this time. Someday I'll retire him, and he'll get snipped. I believe in snipping the boys if you're not planning on breeding them.

It simply costs too much for the does to be done, and without any rabbit savvy vets around, I find It way too invasive to be convenient. My girls are all well behaved, my lop doe is a little high strung sometimes, but that's it. I want the Polish spayed, but like I said, the cost and lack of experienced vets is leaving me preferring her intact for now...

Yes, same here - you definitely should have a rabbit savvy vet if you consider getting a doe spayed because it is invasive and can be risky. I dont have a very good rabbit savvy vet in my area and so I can`t just bring my girls in for that - and they are just fine.

I had a rabbit named Coco for 8 years and she was not spayed. Her personality was wonderful and she was litter trained. She was never around other bunnies so I didn't think I needed to get her spayed. One day we noticed she was picking at herself a lot and was bleeding. We took her to a vet and she developed mammilary tumors and we had to get her put to sleep. When I got a new rabbit a few months ago, I swore I would never let this happen to my new female rabbit. My new bunny Java had a great personality before she was spayed and was litter trained. I don't really think her personality actually changed much at all after she was spayed, the only reason I did it was because I was nervous for her to get cancer. I do have to say though, I did plenty of research about getting her spayed and it took me a bit to find a vet that I felt comfortable with and liked for Java's surgery. Once I found my vet, I was extremely happy with my decision to spay her.

Hope this helped! :)

Since I first posted in this topic a lot has changed. Beauty has been spayed. She is not using the litter box very well (I think that is my fault, I moved the box). Shiny Things will hopefully be getting spayed this Friday. She was supposed to be spayed the same day as Beauty but was running a fever so the vet would not do it. If she is healthy on Friday (as determined by the vet) she will get spayed the same day. I have to travel 1.5hrs each way to their vet, but it is worth it.

I often hear the whole probability of cancer higher in unspayed does but have yet to find the hard evidence of the study. I heard that the study often quoted for this conclusion was two decades ago, using a limited test group (just one breed and about a dozen rabbits) in only one area. That's not enough of a group to establish a pattern.

This bothers me because when I search I'm also told its only in the last decade that people have been studying rabbits as pets phenomena. Meaning where they should be best kept (indoors or outdoors), how they should eat and their behaviors. Often mentioned is because rabbits never enjoyed the popularity of cats and dogs, therefore as much money wasn't dedicated for research and so only recently have we been getting a better idea of how best to raise these wonderful creatures.

I'm not saying neutering/slaying shouldn't be done, rabbit population still needs to be controlled and to those who want to have bonded ones its a must, its just I don't see hard proof is all in terms of cancer. All animals have chances to get cancer, especially the older they get. Just because a rabbit gets it when their older, well for most people that's when it happens too. As it is a pet rabbit's lifespan has dramatically increased from what was once believed to be a 5-8 year range. Can anyone point me to where I can find info on the prevalance of uterine cancer in rabbits? Oh, and I mean that sincerely just in case tone gets lost in Internet posting.

Not that it affects my circumstances. Conan the Bunbarian is a buck (of course!) And at 22 weeks, exihbits no extremes of hormonal behavior. Of course the jury is still out if I'll neuter him or not, especially since I'm on the fence about bonding and such, but I don't know I wish a more gentle method seas available rather then chop and hack stuff out. Otherwise if he's stays mild in behavior it makes it seem all that much crueler.

I don't have any statistics specific on what you are looking for, but I will say this.

I do believe that the 85% number is probably thrown around too loosely. Maybe there isn't a specific study or big enough study done to prove that specific number, but I have absolutely no doubts that unspayed rabbits do have a higher cancer rate. That has, in my opinion, been proven.

So then I feel like the issue then lies with weighing the risk of spaying itself. Even if the cancer stats are 50%, let's say, (just throwing out that number) I don't believe that spaying could ever even be that dangerous. So it's a decision I'm glad I made. I stressed about it and was nervous, but I'm SOO relieved I did.

Here are other two things to consider. You know how they say never say never? ;) when i got Agnes I never (haha) thought id get another rabbit. And here I am less than a year later with two.

Also, this might be a small factor to some, but the way her pee smells after the spay vs. before the spay is AMAZING. I wasn't sure how much truth there was to the smell thing but oh my goodness is it true. Even if there are mo behavioral issues, i will fix for that reason.

Lastly. I think the opposite as you as far as it being cruel to "hack" off his stuff. Could you imagine having hormones racing through you driving you to do the one thing you can't ever do? It's in their blood to mate with a pretty little girl bun, and yet they never get too. I think THAT is cruel. Taking away that urge so they can relax is doing them a favor, in my opinion.

When my family got a rabbit when I was in middle school, we didn't know much about how to care for her, but we learned, and she became a spoiled house bun pretty quickly.

However when she was two years old she started bleeding one day... took her to the vet... they said it was probably cancer. They did an emergency spay, and yup, her uterus was full of cancerous tumors.

She lived another 6 years after that, ended up passing from E. cuniculi.

With that story in mind, when I adopted my first bun, I took her to get spayed - but she didn't survive the surgery. I was heartbroken, and beat myself up about it for a while.

But after that I only adopted from shelters, where they were already spayed/neutered. It's easier when you don't have to make that decision yourself. The thought of cancer, especially in such a young bun, scares me.

agnesthelion wrote:
Lastly. I think the opposite as you as far as it being cruel to "hack" off his .

Thanks for the insight, but Im quoting this just to mention its not a guy sensitivity to having his boy animal losing his 'lil boys', cause my lament is for both genders. I just meant a less butchery method ala tubes tied, vasectomy etc. I know small animals anotamy is challenging but c'mon. Anyway it's a pie inthe sky pipe dream.

And again, I got back and forth on whether to have a pal or not for Conan. Right now it's no feasible, and not right if his behavior is still so sterling. We'll see though, since its only fair as I've neutered my cats before. But then with them I was worried that there were a few cats in the area and the last thing I needed was a surprise litter. With the rabbit that's not an issue. No neighbors nearby with rabbits.

Thanks for sharing Bugslady. Again, Im just venting hear and I like to research the hell out of things so its frustrating when numbers are quoted at me and I can't verify them. I'm also going nuts with the presidential elections because of that.

I believe that spaying and neutering is a good idea for many reasons.

However, I had a vet once who believed the risks of spaying for female rabbits were greater than the risks of cancer. He believed that the decision should be made on a case by case basis...depending on behavior, situation, health and general quality of life.

I don't agree with him based on everything I've read but I think everyone's opinion should be respected. He had an unspayed female rabbit who was 18 years old, healthy, an absolute sweetheart and going strong.

My bunnies were fixed before I got them (thank goodness). It would be a really hard decision to make to get the surgery in this area because I don't completely trust any of the vets.

Every dog, cat, and rabbit that I have ever owned has been fixed. I don't wait for unwanted behaviors to show up. When my animals are of age, they are altered. I believe it is my responsibility as a pet owner to prevent unwanted breedings. 10 years ago when I had my last pair of bunnies I had both of them fixed. It wasn't as popular to fix bunnies then but I treated them as any dog or cat in my house. My young female Honey already had a pre-cancerous uterus at 1 year old. 6 months ago Humma jumped over a 36" high wall to get to Faith. If both of them hadn't been fixed, I would have babies now. Spaying is an invasive procedure to be sure, but even though I lost Trillian during her spay surgery it did not stop me from having Faith spayed a month later.
I don't have a crystal ball and I can't say that 5 years from now I won't become terribly ill with cancer and have to rehome my precious bunnies. Obviously this is an extreme example but I believe in "what if" situations. In this case scenario my rabbits will never be able to add to the unwanted rabbit population. This is obviously just my opinion and I wouldn't force my opinion on anyone else here. I was fortunate enough to have 2 of my bunnies come in already fixed (both males). I had to fix 4. Good luck to everyone here with whatever you choose for your pets. My story is only my story. :)

Yeah it's hard to know what the real life statistics are throughout the world in terms of cancer rates and success of surgery.

The vet I went to (where my Petunia didn't make it), they warned me against spaying her at her age (almost 2), said it was really dangerous.

But the shelter I adopted from later on said that after hundreds of spays over many years, of rabbits of all different ages, they have never lost one, and that it's really safe.

A good option might be to find a vet that does spaying/neutering for a rabbit shelter and see what they have to say, since they probably see many more rabbits than an average small animal vet.

Yeah well it was both my Vet and the Breeder who mentioned it may not be necessary, but they weren't against the idea either. So it will end up being my decision and his behavior that influences it. He's a Flemish so he's just now reaching sexual maturity, and well he hasn't really done anything yet hormonal. Except for circleing, but now sound to it.

If I do do it though, one of the main reasons will be I cant determine the future so if bonding or rehoming become an option its better to do it earlier.

Troller wrote:
Thanks for the insight, but Im quoting this just to mention its not a guy sensitivity to having his boy animal losing his 'lil boys', cause my lament is for both genders. I just meant a less butchery method ala tubes tied, vasectomy etc. I know small animals anotamy is challenging but c'mon. Anyway it's a pie inthe sky pipe dream.

I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying here, but it's really not butchery, it's castration. I mean, I haven't had it done, but tying a womans tubes is no snippity snip for like a vasectomy is for a man. It is invasive either way. The point of castration is to eliminate horomones. The ones that feed the need to breed and can cause "bad" behaviors.

I did have my bun fixed, he was a bona-fide PoopZilla and had sprayed my dog a few times before his appointment. I went out of my way to find a bun savvy vet who charged what I thought was a good rate ($80) and came highly recommended. Even if I had the most laid back bun, I would still neuter. Or spay. Nothing against his "danglies", but the humans are the only ones allowed in this house with horomone issues.

Anyone have a rabbit that is NOT spayed or neutered, but your happy with them the way they are? Do they have any bad habits? Are you afraid if you get him/her fixed, their good habits could actually change to bad habits? Just curious bc I was talking to someone about this today!!! :p

I have a 1 year old female rabbit and she’s not spayed. I won’t be getting her spayed and she’s really healthy and so friendly. She can be territorial sometimes in her cage but I love herb personality just the way it is. Shes litter trained and only leaves a couple of droppings out of her litter box. She doesn’t bite unless if she’s in a really bad mood or feels in danger. I don’t see any signs of her being sick at all and I’m always watchknfout for her health and doing lots of research. I don’t think it’s exactly necessary for u to spay your rabbit. My rabbit is doing great :)

I have experience with a male who’s been neutered since he was a baby, a female who was unspayed her entire life, and a female who was spayed as an adult, so allow me to compare and contrast.

I did absolutely no research before getting buns and decided that I wanted two females, so that I wouldn’t have to deal with territory behaviours and so that I wouldn’t have to pay to get them fixed.

Well, that worked for about 3 months before Lahi’s balls dropped, lol. So he got neutered. Picca stayed intact. She was... grumpy might be an understatement. She was successfully litter trained, and curious and inquisitive, just like Lahi. They would explore and run around together. She’d come and climb all over me. She could be a sweetie sometimes. Other times... well, I discovered that bunnies can growl. Picca would pin her ears back and snarl, lashing out with her claws. She was VERY territorial.

Lahi has always been the most gentle bun when it comes to humans. He’ll yank some fur out when he’s having a dispute with a bun, but he has never ever used his teeth on me for anything but gently grabbing a limb in an attempt to move it. He did draw blood once when I stupidly put my hands between him and Picca while he was lunging for her, but that was an accident, and very shallow. He was only trying to grab her fur. He’s not cuddly in the slightest but I think that’s because I handled him way too much as a baby. Toward his bonded bunnies he wants to have the biggest cuddles. He also loves my mom, and will climb up into her lap as she sits in her armchair, jump up to her shoulder, and cuddle her face. I am the giver of medicine and the harbinger of vet visits, so I get fond ankle pokes and climbed on, but my hands are Not To Be Allowed The Privilege Of Touching His Dignified Person, or face the angry foot of I Am Deeply Offended and the foot flicks of How Dare You and the cold shoulder of Shun The Blasphemer.

Pictures because seriously his adoration for my mother has to be seen. I think she was more upset about him moving out than me when I got an apartment.

6950D321-5E53-434A-9BB4-CF4A96B10969.jpeg 63DEB1FD-53A5-465D-8254-F6214E989615.jpeg B7A3F1A1-C812-45EF-9180-82D5811127C9.jpeg
(Bald ear due to surgery to remove a malignant tumour at the base)

The most aggression he’s ever shown is toward the hated litter scoop. He was neutered shortly after his balls dropped, and never got around to developing bad behaviours. He will occasionally pee outside the litter box, but I attribute that to the fact that he is currently 12, rather than any deliberate behaviour. He’s getting a little forgetful in his dotage!

When Picca and Lahi were 5 years old, I got wind of a rabbit who needed a home, and agreed I could take her. Delilah was also not spayed.

Delilah was and always has been the biggest cuddlebun, the most loving and vivacious rabbit I have ever met. It quickly became apparent that she was badly neglected by her previous owner, and desperately wanted to be loved.

She would also, if I let her run around a room, occasionally leap into the air and TWIST, spraying pee in a full 360’ circle like some sort of furry sprinkler.

She had a LOT of bad habits, but they were pretty much attributable to the neglect she experienced. She would rattle the bars of her cage for HOURS on end. She would rhythmically thump her foot for HOURS. She would absolutely destroy all attempts to keep litter in the litter box, digging it furiously everywhere. She was litter trained but the litter wouldn’t stay in the box after the fact. She would shove her face into her food bowl and try to inhale her food, and actually did end up choking a couple times from eating too fast. So on top of being neglected she had been deprived of food, too :’(

She was too clueless about how to be a proper rabbit to really be territorial, but Picca was VERY territorial. It took a solid year of extreme effort to bond the two girls. Lahi pretty much took one sniff and started grooming Delilah. Picca was much, much less willing. After a year they could finally be in the same room without a divider, though I honestly don’t think they were ever fully bonded. I have exactly three pictures of all three buns cuddling, and Lahi’s in the middle in all three pictures. We got a few months of bonded bliss, sort of. Then the two girls got into one massive, fur-flying fight, and never forgave each other. They couldn’t even be separated by cage bars without trying to bite each other’s faces off.

Then, at age 6, Picca died. The vet palpated her abdomen the night before when we brought her in for laboured breathing, awkward head carriage, and overall signs of pain. He found masses in her abdomen, and it was then I was finally educated about the risk of cancer in unspayed females. We took her home and she was found dead in the morning.

I’m pretty sure Delilah was the only reason Lahi didn’t follow his sister out of grief. She cuddled the hell out of him, kept him moving, and eventually he began eating again with major encouragement.

Delilah was booked for a spay the very next month.

Delilah’s behaviour has improved immensely compared to how she used to be, but a lot of that is just getting proper love and affection. She can walk away from a bowl that still has food in it, and I celebrated a LOT the first time that happened. She’s not as cuddly as she used to be, but again, I think that’s because she feels secure that I’m always going to be around for cuddles whenever she wants them, and so now while she’s busy exploring she’ll duck my hand. Cuddles LATER, mummy! Right now, ADVENTURES!! She also isn’t solely reliant on humans for affection anymore, being bonded to Lahi, and I have heard a number of people comment that buns seem to be less cuddly when they have options other than humans.

She’ll still rattle cage bars (of a cage she’s not even INSIDE!!) but not as often and not for as long. When she gets stressed out she’ll sometimes lapse into the rhythmic foot thumping. She still makes a total mess of litter boxes and it’s a never ending battle to keep her messmaking contained.

What she does not do: spray pee in an airborne acrobatic display of flexibility!

While I don’t know how much of the reduction of many of her habits is decreased hormones and how much is just recovering from neglect, I will say that overall she’s massively improved, and I can’t say that she’s had any behaviours develop after being spayed that are bad.

And the fact that she won’t be getting reproductive cancer? I’m now of the firm opinion that ALL female pet rabbits should be spayed, and it’s almost unethical not to. Just like we have our impacted wisdom teeth removed before they can cause problems, when a rabbit has an 80% chance of reproductive cancer...

Lahi is 12 years old this year, and quickly coming up on having lived longer without his sister than with her. Picca had her lifespan cut in HALF because I didn’t do my research and get her spayed. She died in pain, leaving Lahi desperately grieving his sister and bondmate, and it’s 100% and entirely my fault. The regret I hold for that is intense.

There are just so many reasons why neutering and spaying a rabbit is a good thing, and so few reasons why it could possibly be a bad thing. Removing hormones doesn’t change their personality, it just takes away a huge influence on their behaviour.

I’ve met people with male rabbits who are sweet and gentle and they don’t see a reason to get them neutered. But they’re also alone, and I’m in the “rabbits need to be with other rabbits” camp, and that is almost impossible without neutering first. As much as we love our bunnies, we have lives that don’t revolve around them, the way bunnies revolve around each other.

But female rabbits? Oh lord. 80% chance of reproductive cancer after age 4. Save yourself the grief of losing your furry child to a completely preventable death. Speaking from experience: if I could go back in time Picca would have been spayed at the same time Lahi was neutered. No hesitation.

Hi,

my free range house bunnys are my intact, 4yo 10lbs herd buck Herr Hase and his spayed cuddlebun Dotty. I didn't plan to make him a house bunny, but at the age of 2 he ventured into the house now and then, and behaved perfectly. When I ran out of hutch space he moved in with me. Wouldn't have worked a year earlier, I guess, he did a lot of spraying then, does that I put with him changed colour and pee was dripping from the ceiling of his hutch, and I had to move quickly when I let him out for garden time.

After some time I got the impression that he was lonely and last year I got one of his daughters spayed, at least I'm much happier now, just watching them cuddle up makes my day. All my 6 rabbits live in pairs now.

About this cancer scare: Although it seems true that rabbits are more prone to that as humans, that 80% at 4 years numbers are blown out of proportions by people with an agenda, don't see that happen anywhere, and there is no data on that (apart from a side note in another study mentioning one breeding line with rates like that, but well, there are lines of laboratory mice that get cancer very frequently too).
So, although this numbers are used as a deadbeat argument, it is still a valid argument, and there are a lot more good ones to get girls spayed, mood swings and false pregnancies come to mind. I had one intact doe indoors for 8 months (Myxo quarentine, sole survivor of 15), and she thoroughly destroyed my apartment. At 7 years now still my best breeding doe, but much happier outside.

At 7 years now still my best breeding doe, but much happier outside.
You're still breeding her when she is 7 years old??? and she is still producing well. I would have stopped breeding her after she turned 3. I'm surprised she wouldn't be tired of breeding by now.

Latest posts

Back