Any tips on soft rug

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a soft rug that I can use in my bedroom. It should be easy to clean and not too expensive. I need to find a new rug because Toste is starting to get sore hooks.

Odin have no problem running around indoors but it seem to be different with Toste, he have softer fur than Odin. So running between hard floor and the different rugs, truly don’t help him.

Because Toste spend most of his time in my bedroom and love sleeping under my bed, I can at least make that area soft and let his paws have a resting place. Because right now I only have a small rug to catch up hay and fur, but also help my bunny Odin to jump in and out from the cage.

So give me a few tips of good rugs ☺️

Attachments

• C4C71451-1AF4-4E0C-9184-DD42D9B67137.jpeg
    C4C71451-1AF4-4E0C-9184-DD42D9B67137.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 5429EC86-59BA-4383-B576-ABE6CDE4F88C.jpeg
    5429EC86-59BA-4383-B576-ABE6CDE4F88C.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 10
Good question! It is so hard to get flooring right for indoor bunnies. Hard floor and slippery floor are awful. Most rugs and carpet are too abrasive. I wish we had a good substitute for soil which is what they have evolved to be on. I use a combination of vetbed with fleece on top, memory foam mats, chenille bath mats, duvets, mattress toppers, … Stable matting (heavy rubber) is good too and easy to clean.

i bought puzzle mats! you can get them in pretty big quantities for around $20! if you get non toxic its a bit cheaper and you'll have to get non toxic anyway... I plan to cover mine with fleece to make sure Missy doesn't chew it tho haha but it you put it around the whole pen she shouldn't be able to get a good enough grip on them with her teeth to chew them! and they come in rainbow! and every rug you get will either be impossible to get hay, litter, ect. out of, will be tempting for your rabbit to chew and probably not good for them to eat, or superrrr expensive. but if you do just want a rug more i can maybe see something from target or HomeGoods (those kind of stores) to have something useful and not wildly expensive!

I'll do a trip to Ikea and see how the rugs look like and feel, I have vetbed but they cost quite a lot and don't cover everything. I use one vetbed in the corner under the bed he sleeps on.

@Mehidk when I saw the rug I just had to buy it, got it from ebay. I love the eveolution and Eevee is cute :oops: I'll look into rugs with memory foam.

It's a struggle cleaning rugs but I just use a hard brush to take off the exccess hay and fur, before I use the vaccum cleaner. I later take the rug out and give it one good whipping then later use a roller to take the fur that still don't want to let go, with regular intervals I wash all the bunnies flooring :3

My bunnies don't chew the rugs but they can chew fleece blankets :)

I did a major washing of all my bunnies blankets and vetbed. So I put one vetbed on the floor as a carpet, one vetbed in his corner and a fleece blanket under the bed. I hope it will help his paws a bit. Had no idea I have so many blankets to the bunnies, which was just waiting to be cleaned 🙄

The vetbed was supposed to be Odins in the cage but Odin have no problem running on hard floor or just fleece blankets. Might be because he’s really light and have short and a bit spiky fur while Toste have really soft and long fur if he’s compared to Odin. Toste feels like a birman cat.

Toste have a small cat tunnel going under the bed which he often run through and use when he’s scared.

I no longer have space for myself in my bedroom 🤣

Attachments

• C661D191-F881-488D-8288-F15E0A92CF1B.jpeg
    C661D191-F881-488D-8288-F15E0A92CF1B.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 331E5DD5-74DA-425A-90C1-484DA51C3038.jpeg
    331E5DD5-74DA-425A-90C1-484DA51C3038.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 8DDF3A72-3A6E-4E09-B5B2-3C6F8F658766.jpeg
    8DDF3A72-3A6E-4E09-B5B2-3C6F8F658766.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 10
  • E07AD93D-F2A8-4E3C-9556-644406B54EA8.jpeg
    E07AD93D-F2A8-4E3C-9556-644406B54EA8.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10
Haha Odin and Toste have claimed the land! Hopefully the new arrangement will help with Toste's sore hocks.

i bought puzzle mats! you can get them in pretty big quantities for around $20! if you get non toxic its a bit cheaper and you'll have to get non toxic anyway... I plan to cover mine with fleece to make sure Missy doesn't chew it tho haha but it you put it around the whole pen she shouldn't be able to get a good enough grip on them with her teeth to chew them! and they come in rainbow! and every rug you get will either be impossible to get hay, litter, ect. out of, will be tempting for your rabbit to chew and probably not good for them to eat, or superrrr expensive. but if you do just want a rug more i can maybe see something from target or HomeGoods (those kind of stores) to have something useful and not wildly expensive!
That's the exact setup I have!

Haha Odin and Toste have claimed the land! Hopefully the new arrangement will help with Toste's sore hocks.

They only need to raise a flag and everyone will know from far away. But I also hope it will help with his small paws ☺️

Overstock.com has lots of big area rugs at great prices. I got a 9 x 11 for my office many years ago and it still is showing little wear.
That said, I have wall to wall carpet at home and I’m constantly admonishing Khaleesi for chewing on the carpet. So get a bottle of bitter apple to spray on any areas your bun might chew on.
Good luck with your bun. I appreciate how much you care that you would start this conversation, and don’t we all, on this venue, care so much about our precious bunnies.
Stay well and safe sweet bunny lovers!

Latest posts

Back