Any tips on cutting my rabbits nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VioletTheBun

Reaction score
I have a question my rabbit doesn’t want me to cut her nails and I’ve been trying to wrap her up in a blanket but she doesn’t want to stay still what should I do? And any. Tips

Sometimes trimming the nail up on a unknown place for example in the bath tub will make the bunnies calmer.

Myself place my bunnies up on a table outdoors, sometimes I peel a long bit of apple or carrot bit which they can eat while I trim my bunnies nails. But my bunnies are used with handling and really kind to me.

The tumb I often let my bunny lay on the back, the head over the heart, normal bent back and let my bunnies have their favorite treats to eat. This is to make sure my bunny don’t go into trancing and my bunny can normally move and flip over when they don’t want to jump away 🤣

Sometimes it can take days, because some days my bunnies really don’t want to be still and coperate with me. I will only take a few nails and next day take the other nails.

Treats! Give treats while trimming his/her nails!

My youngest would let me trim his nails if there are treats in front of him. My oldest, I'll have to put her on my lap while feeding her treats.

But my middle bun, he doesn't want to be carried (as all bunnies) and giving treats wont help either 😅 So he's the only one who I have to bring to the vet to get his nails trimmed. I did try to slowly trim his nail while he was sleeping one time, I only got to trim 3nails more or less.

I found this youtube video and I have been doing this ever since. It is fool proof and works like a charm. Even my rabbit that I had major issues with is now easy with this... hopefully this link will work for you.

This is actually the first video I've ever watched about nail trimming! it has helped me quite a lot actually =)

I have struggled for years trimming their nails or took them to the vet. After watching this video it was so much easier. She made it look so easy. I tried it with my girl who hates to be held and her paws touched and it was so much better. It took me about 5 minutes to trim rather than 25. I was impressed. I hope others have the same results I did. :)

For Storm that video, nor treats, had any effect. So when we went to the vet for his checkup they trimmed his nails while at it. Or rather, i held Storm up, the vets aesistant secured him and the vet had to hold the paw of the nails he was trimming! Storm still kicked upwards and headbutted me twice but in the end we got the work done! For Musti i could do it all by myself, he just nicely sat still for me even without treats!

I love that video! For my difficult buns, it works like a charm every time. The key is to follow those instructions e x a c t l y -- every step. How the bun is positioned on the table, where you stand, how you snug the bun in, how you hold each paw, the 2x pressure before clipping... every step is key or it won't work. I had to watch it several times over and over to get each step down pat.

Latest posts

Back