Any tips for a very active and easily bored rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjell

Reaction score
We have a 1 year old bunny boy who just never seems to get enough attention/food/toys. He has a bunny friend and there is always someone at home so they are usually only left to themselves at night. While normal rabbits are supposed to sleep during the day, he doesn't sleep much. Rather he is on top of, underneath and inside anywhere he can get. When he gets bored he tends to bite the leg of a chair, any chair. It used to mean he wanted pellets, but now it can mean anything. It is not like he chews out of boredom. He takes a bite and stares at us while he waits for a reaction. If we don't respond, he bites again. Eventually we do respond because we want to keep the legs on our chairs. He is only ever really content when my son has days off from school and we also at the same time have family or friends stay over. The more the merrier, he seems to think. He loves people, even strangers, as long as they don't smell like dog. When we are a minimum of 3 people plus bunny friend at home 24/7, he doesn't seem to get bored much (unless someone has a nap or goes for a stroll). However I do suspect that he would eventually get bored of it too given some time. It seems he just likes things to be new and exciting. Since we have to do other things than play with our bunnies during the day, it seems impossible to give him all the attention he really wants, and it gets frustrating that he often is up to no good just for the sake of that extra attention. The bunnies don't stay in a cage or enclosure but during the night stay in the kitchen and during the day also have access to the living room. Because he is a very unafraid bunny who doesn't respond to the word "no" (although he does understand what it means), we rarely give him access to other areas of the house. Blink one time and he's already halfway up the stairs after having jumped over the baby gate.

Anyone have ideas? He has toys and free access to fresh twigs, but I really don't think it is toys he is missing. He loves to explore new areas and he loves people, but there is limits to how much of that we can offer him. During summer he gets to be outside an hour or two daily which makes him sleep the rest of the day, but during the winter it isn't really possible. I know some claim bunnies can be outside in the cold for short times, but where I am it is very windy and wet so it wouldn't be ideal. Will he calm down with age? We love him to bits and he is a very affectionate and bright bunny, just very demanding.

I would say purposeful engagement with him. I do daily "playtime" with my Fable because of her high chew energy. Here is an example of her pestering me for 'playing': https://drive.google.com/file/d/1goxCQnffwD7cxrSTvdQoSnxq10q_IXb4/view?usp=sharing

Another example of not wanting pets, but wanting 'play': https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gfuNsPg-yRKbEBGGTnm0eyMwZ6bd3rlT/view?usp=sharing

Also, some 'toys' are more engaging and tiring than others. Like children, rabbits can have preferences, so if you're able to find some niches he likes, that may help. There are some examples of toys on my Reddit profile: Wick & Fable (u/WickandFable) - Reddit

I would say purposeful engagement with him. I do daily "playtime" with my Fable because of her high chew energy. Here is an example of her pestering me for 'playing': https://drive.google.com/file/d/1goxCQnffwD7cxrSTvdQoSnxq10q_IXb4/view?usp=sharing

Another example of not wanting pets, but wanting 'play': https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gfuNsPg-yRKbEBGGTnm0eyMwZ6bd3rlT/view?usp=sharing

Also, some 'toys' are more engaging and tiring than others. Like children, rabbits can have preferences, so if you're able to find some niches he likes, that may help. There are some examples of toys on my Reddit profile: Wick & Fable (u/WickandFable) - Reddit

Thank you! Your Reddit profile looks very useful. The "sass" peeing is very much like his bunny friend whenever she doesn't get her way. I already suspected that was the reason, but hadn't seen much about other rabbits doing it.

Diet can sometimes affect a rabbits energy and boredom levels. If a rabbit is on a lot of concentrated pellets, they can fill up quickly on these, then have too much extra time on their little paws :p Whereas a high hay diet with very minimal pellets, the rabbit spends a lot of the day eating hay, so less time for boredom.

If you feed very many pellets to your rabbits, maybe try reducing the amount, and then continue to provide unlimited grass hay. Your rabbit should start consuming more and spending more time doing this. You'll want to monitor hay consumption to make sure your rabbit is consuming it well. It's also good to monitor body weight and condition, to ensure unhealthy weight loss doesn't occur with the change of diet.

Also, this link may have some activity ideas you haven't tried yet.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Toys_and_games

Does he have places he can explore & chew? If he's alone, does his environment provide him with anyting to do/explore/chew/claim as his own?

My doe's similar, but not quite as extreme as yours. I have willow tents, a tunnel haven, a cottontail cottage, a 2-story maze haven, & three Ikea Hols around so she always has somewhere to play. I also set up a concrete form behind the couch, and got a coffee table with a rug on the bottom "story" that's a great hiding place.

I've found that by providing an enriching and engaging local environment (from a rabbit's perspective), I can even influence what rooms they will spend most of their time in. Also, it greatly reduces their destructive behavior towards stuff I don't want them to chew.

I definitely tried all the rabbit toys, balls, baby toys, and small things to keep their attention... but my rabbits never really cared much for them. Kind of like buying a young child a toy car or something -- if he doesn't have his own room and bed and playchest and other kid stuff around, that toy car won't keep him entertained throughout the day for the next year. He'll play with it for a few minutes here & there, but that's about it.

Have you tried keeping a tv or radio on? Maybe cartoons or something where there's constant movement and sound, for entertainment. YouTube has some great nature videos (none with predators! But try with birds and other rabbits). I don't mean for several hours, just one hour or so to keep his ears perked up.
Could be fun to try 😊

Latest posts

Back