Any temporary measures to keep unspayed rabbits from breeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kit123

Reaction score
Hello there! About two months back we adopted Sunni ! A little Netherland dwarf doe, and a few weeks in we decided to get her a friend! We we very clear to the breeder that it had to be another female, as sunni was too little to be spayed just yet although we do have planned for the future! However the breeder was adamant that it was a female and had been checked by a professional. Long story short the professional was her seven year old daughter, and a trip to the vets for vaccines has shown us our Daphne is actually Fred. At that stage we’d had him a week, we’d all bonded with him including Sunni, and it wasn’t his fault, so rehomeing wasn’t an option. However sunni being a few weeks older has started displaying hormonal tendencies and I think kick started Fred’s although he is a bigger rabbit so I don’t its unnecessarily young? For context sunni is a 17 week old netherland dwarf and Fred is a 14 week old Mini Rex (do not trust the breeder the father looked like an average sized Rex) mixed with lion lop! We had a standing appointment on September 2nd to check if he was old enough to be neutered (vet recommended Fred be neutered first as he’s larger) but by then I’m worried Sunni could be in the third trimester, so we’re ringing first thing to check. Does anyone have ANY tips at all how to keep them from mating? For context they’re supervised free roaming, but they have separate hutches they sleep in at night. Is it just a case of extra supervision? 92E20A8E-AAA0-4F72-A496-2709DF3E025D.jpeg
also. Yes. That hole in the wall is from them 💀💀 we’ve blocked that area off now though, but I’ve no doubts they’ll get into more mischief !

Attachments

• BE98EDA7-0040-48D6-888B-D880C581AD30.jpeg
    BE98EDA7-0040-48D6-888B-D880C581AD30.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BA192D81-2525-475E-9112-6EEDE4DF344F.jpeg
    BA192D81-2525-475E-9112-6EEDE4DF344F.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 3
  • F9C71148-D18B-478F-82D1-860E72938208.jpeg
    F9C71148-D18B-478F-82D1-860E72938208.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 3
You'll just have to keep them seperate until they're both fixed and healed. I really can't think of any other way to keep them from mating. Sunni is old enough to spay (4 months is the minimum) and once Fred is about 5-6 months he can be neutured. After they get fixed they'll have to be kept seperate until they're healed (usually 2 weeks or so after the surgery) and then rebonded.
They're both SOOOO cute!!! Is Sunni the grey one and Fred the black one?
Good luck~

I've mostly heard the reverse- 4months for males and 6 for females.
I wouldn't trust them with having roaming time together. You really cannot keep them from getting the chance unless you literally hover over them, ready to separate at any sign of unwanted behaviour. It is extremely uncomfortable for all parties involved.
I would also wait longer than two weeks, our girl took longer than that to heal, and i'll mention right away that boys have their hormones around for longer than a month. Do not rush with the wait and bonding, i learnt it the hard way first time round. Ended up with two permanently unbonded, scarred rabbits. Took some extra patience the second time and i now have a duo that took less than a week to bond with no agression whatsoever.
Granted, going the longer route of picking a random bun to be fixed and bonded to, doesn't guarantee their getting along even when taking the longer route. I lucked out once, and i lucked in the second time.

It literally takes seconds for 2 rabbits to successfully breed. They should not be allowed together at all. If a pen wall is used to separate them, that won't guarantee they won't breed as males have been known to impregnate a female through a "fence." So be sure they are separated well. Perhaps you can divide their roaming area into two separate areas.

They can each be fixed as soon as your vet is willing to do so. After a male is neutered, he will still be able to impregnate a female for awhile. It can take a male up to 6-8 weeks after surgery for his hormones to fully dissipate. The female needs time to heal from her surgery as well as it is more intrusive. Once they have both had that time to heal and hormones dissipate, then they can be re-introduced to each other. Go slow and take your time with the new bonding.

hello all thank you for the assistance!
thank you to everyone that helped!
im thinking it’d be best to split up their roaming time together although I loathe to do it as beyond one attempted mating yesterday they haven’t taken on each other again, but I’m assuming that’s because we’re starting the long hormone process! Fred is 4 months but it was my vet who reccomended he get neutered first as he is significantly larger and Sunni is quite delicate for her age, so he’s likely to be neutered first! Thank you for all the assistance!
P.s Yes! Sunni is the grey one and Fred is fully black apart from three white toes

So she could very well be pregnant already. They have both been old enough for babies for several weeks so you need to be prepared.
They cannot have access to each other what so ever! Please keep them seperate. No play time.
Hello again! I don’t think you mean your tone to come off so harshly! I She is unlikely pregnant already as we have since split them up as this was the first attempt at mating and they are fully supervised by three working from home adults in the same area, (hasn’t been any attempts since, as they are now apart). However yes I am prepared to do whatever necessary best for the rabbits health and have a contingency plan in case. As for the several weeks, Fred was checked by the vet a week ago who told us he hadn’t reached puberty, we are just being cautious by bringing forward his next appointment (tomorrow) thank you for the concern however and I appreciate all the helpful advice :)

Latest posts

Back