Any suggestions on how to get my rabbit to eat papaya tablets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah92lynn

Reaction score
I just got some oxbow papaya tablets to help my rabbits pass the hair they ingest better, and CoCoa loves them of course (she will eat ANYTHING it seems lol) but Lilly is kinda picky and will not eat it. I've tried different things like breaking it into small pieces and mixing it with her pellets, hand feeding it to her, etc but she wont eat it. Today I was all excited cause she was licking it and stuff like she was gonna eat it, but then just left it.
Could I maybe grind it up and add it to her water? I really want her to eat these things because she is a pretty hairy rabbit, and even with frequent brushing she still sheds quite a bit. I even see hair in her poop sometimes :/ So any suggestions on how to somehow get these tablets into her system will be greatly appreciated!!

Just keep offering. She may decide eventually that she likes them. Seeing CoCoa excited about them might also help entice her.
I'm not a fan of putting stuff in their drinking water. It alters the flavor and you can't tell who's getting how much. I'd also be afraid that they'd get used to the water tasting like that and then always expect it.

I use papaya tablets when mine are shedding but I don't think it's a magical cure-all. If she just refuses, you could try just encouraging her to eat more hay. During a shedding, I try to refresh my buns hay several times per day. Something about refreshing it causes them to get excited about it and then eat more. Lots of hay consumption will also help her pass that fur.

Thanks :) I'll just keep trying to feed them to her and hopefully she'll eventually try it. I do the same with the hay, several times a day even when they aren't shedding just cause I love seeing them get all excited for food :) so cute!!!

Basically every bunny I've offered them to has looked at me like I'm crazy until they actually bite into one and then they decide they're delicious. I was going to suggest breaking it in half so she could smell it better, but it seems you've already tried that.

My bunny didn't like these tablets at first either but I broke it up and left it in his bowl with his pellets now he loves them. I would not wet them. I read that once they are wet the enzyme wont be affective.

Hi Sarah, I agree just leave it in her dish. Mine wouldn't eat them at first, now all I have to do is shake to bottle and they go crazy for them.
Cheers
Susan :headflick:

Sophie wouldn't touch them at first, she just sniffed it a lot. After the third day, the papaya tablet magically disappeared lol:)

I'm glad she started eating them. I was thinking maybe stuffing one into a craisin lol :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back