Any suggestions for bunny who chews his nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
I think my bunny Fred is chewing some of his nails. When I go to trim them, some are sharp and pointy with lots of scratches on them. If I try to trim off the sharp point, he pulls his foot away. I think it's because he has chewed them down really close to the quick. There was one I noticed today that even looks split down the middle. Some of his nails look normal and I am able to trim those without him protesting. I am wondering if there is a way to stop him from chewing his nails so I can trim them and they aren't so sharp.

Maybe trim them more often. If he is actually chewing them, maybe they are just getting longer than he likes. Otherwise I don't know that there really is any other way you could prevent him from doing it.

Another possibility is he's not chewing them and they are splitting on their own. If that's happening, all I can think that would cause it is a dietary insufficiency or genetic issue.

Latest posts

Back