Any successful male & male pairings...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattyw

Reaction score
We have two male bunnies from the same litter - they are the same age, we have been told they are about 6-7wks old - which I think may be a little younger than they actually are! If the boys are brothers would they maybe get along better than another pairing of two male bunnies? I am hoping they will have a good relationship as they get older - they have not been neutered and I am hoping I may not have to do that....? Any thoughts or advice?

I have two bonded male pairs, and they are inseparable. One is a year old now, and the other pair is 3 years old. In both cases they are brothers, but I have bonded males that were older and not related. It does help tremendously if they are neutered since hormones will kick in, and they likely will start fighting each other - females do the same thing. In some rare cases it might not happen, but it's very common for them to do so and they can hurt each other pretty badly, so you'll have to watch them as they age. But neutering should take away any problem, plus it's going to make them a lot easier to clean up after, and a lot less messy.

There is a good chance your guys will be able to stay together and bond, sometimes it doesn't work out, but sometimes it does. Depends a lot on the rabbits personalities, not so much whether they are siblings. But neutering really does help.

Good luck with your guys!

nattyw wrote:
I am hoping they will have a good relationship as they get older - they have not been neutered and I am hoping I may not have to do that....? 

There is absolutely no way around getting them neutered -- and as soon as they're mature enough and not a minute longer. Two intact male rabbits can and will kill each other.

However, two neutered boys can easily be life-long friends.

Please keep a close eye on them and separate them at the first sign of trouble. And try and give them a lot of space until they are neutered. You'll have more fights in close quarters.

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks for that - we did start with a what we thought was two girls - but turned out a week after getting them that we had a boy and a girl! I decided to switch the girl for a boy.... I did wish I hadn't done that coz the two of them were lovely together and I have since read that they would have been a good pair being of different sex. But the bunny I took back was sold the day I took her in so couldn't switch them back - that was two days ago and finding it a bit hard to get used to the new bunny... they are grooming each other but not as lovey dovey as the fem/male we started with... ok so neutering is required, I wouldn't know how to handle the fighting aspect of things!

They do have quite a bit of space at present, a run on the grass and a hutch on legs for at night and bad weather, and we have them inside a bit to have a race around, they are great with the toilet box inside! I am very impressed!!!

trailsend wrote:
But neutering should take away any problem, plus it's going to make them a lot easier to clean up after, and a lot less messy.
Hey there - are you referring to them spraying? I was wondering about that and this is why initially I went for two girls as didn't like the idea of this happening, esp. inside the house....

Oh yes! Neutering will stop them from spraying and making a mess, they will be much cleaner and calmer - believe me! :)I've had un neutered males around and they spray everything - even you! A neutered male rabbit is an amazing pet, so is a spayed female, but I've always had amazing luck with the neutered boys, they really are wonderful and in general so well behaved. My oldest guy bites any man that comes in our house or near his mama, including my hubby!But he has never in 10 years bit me!

You'll really enjoy them and with neutering them you won't have to worry about the fights which like Pipp said, can be deadly. I have a male that was given up by his owner after his ears were eaten almost completely off by his cage mate. They were going to take him to the shelter but I decided along with the shelter his chances of adoption were slim, so he came here to live permanently. Sometimes people don't realize rabbits can and will do such a thing.

But with them bonding early, and getting neutered, I'm almost positive you won't have any problems and you won't have them spraying in your house. Our boys are out all day and never spray anywhere. It's wonderful... sometimes they are better behaved than certain dogs here! :)

Thank you! Wonderful advice, I must find out their age - so as to know when the best time to get them sorted will be..... they are terribly cute and I am so amazed how they just know to go toilies in the box inside - so cool! :) My husbad wasn't that keen on them jumping around inside the house but he is cool about it now and quite likes them and roughs them up!!! Plays with them!!!

I think a lot of what happens will depend not only on their personalities - but on their breed. I've had unneutered lionhead bucks live together (even not being brothers) and be totally bonded. It isn't that common - but it does happen.

However, when I first got into rabbits again - I got two Netherland dwarf brothers who were young. They got along till their hormones hit - then even after they were neutered - they could not be trusted to be together without a human around - even for playtime in a larger room.

Good luck with your boys - they could turn out to be like my lionheads - that are lovey dovey with some humping but no real fighting - or they could become like my Nethies...who just could never be together again.

I did still get to enjoy them separately though!

I hope they will be ok! Its doing my head in thinking about what might or might not happen with them! I want them to stay happy with each other and fun little fella's!!! Rabbits are very complicated!!!:(

Some people are saying the separate them now and bond after neutering - others say get them fixed at first sign of fighting.... not sure what to do and I can't really separate them at the moment. I am currently trying to find out their DOB so I can orangise getting them fixed, when will sexual maturity hit!?!?

Thanks - was planning to get them fixed together, and would prefer to sep them at first signs of unrest! ;) They are great together at the moment and I understand that can change overnight - am not looking forward to that going on! :(

So once fixed can they be together straight away when they come home or do they need to be apart for a while.....?

Latest posts

Back