Any recommendeded nail clippers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
I have the worst luck finding a good pair of nail clippers.I used to use the guillotine style, but now prefer the scissor type. The pair I have nowis getting dull and thelast time I used them, they were beginning to 'crush' instead of making a nice clean cut. I was thinking of just buying a whole new pair that's better quality, or would I be able to sharpen them somehow?

Thanks!

I bought a pair at PetSmart that work pretty well...this was probably 2 years ago, so I couldn't tell you their brand name now :p. They are just small simple scissor-style cutters with rubber on the finger grips. I am sure they were pretty cheap, as I am a cheap person and probably wouldn't have spent more than a few bucks on them, haha!

undergunfire wrote:
just small simple scissor-style cutters with rubber on the finger grips.
That's what I use. The small cat scissors work fine for me. It was the first pair Igot and haven't had to replace it.

I use scissor-type ones, except they were slightly more expensive than just the little ones, and they have a spring so they pop back open when you let go, like the guillotine style ones, which I find preferable.

I have three kinds of instruments for pet nail care. I'll list all three and what I like/don't like about them:

Type Like Don't like
1. Guillotine-Style - Better control over nail/pet. - Bulky.
- Easy to handy (despite bulkiness). - Dulls fairly quickly/cracks nail when getting dull.
- Expensive to replace.
- Leaves nails sharp and sometimes
cracked.
- Hard to see the quick with bulky
blade in the way.

2. Scissor-Style - Smaller blade/sharper edge. - Hard to get in the "clipping position" sometimes.
- Small size = perfect for storage. - Hard to put down to reposition pet, then pick up again:
- Cheap! The little finger holes are hard to get your hand in while
- Easier to find the nail quick with trying to hold an unhappy critter still.
less bulky blade in the way. - Leaves nails sharp near cut edges.

3. Pedi-Paws/ - No sharp edge on nails. - Expensive.
Grinding Tool - Don't have to worry about nicking - Loud.
the quick. - Refills are expensive, too!
- Very bulky and hard-to-handle with a small pet,
especially a small, squirming one.

Overall, I like the guillotine/scissor-styles the best. The Pedi-Paws/Pedi-Cure would be good for larger animals, but it doesn't work well with smaller, more easily frightened animals. As far as cost goes, the scissor-style is the best way to go. They are sharper, too. I get the ones for large birds and sometimes the cat ones. :) I hope that helped!

ETA: I hope my list's columns are lined up for everyone. They are lined up on my screen, so I hope they stay that way for everyone else! :ph34r2

The clippers I have been recommended are actually Nippy Cutters, which you can buy at Radio Shack for less than $10. They're spring loaded and easy to handle. I think they're made for cutting wires, but they're great for bunny nails!

I just use regular human toenail clippers. The big kind for toenails, not the regular small nail clippers. Works great. I tried scissor type clippers and guillotine clippers but didn't like them.

Latest posts

Back