Any gloves that are good for hay handling?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hey,

I wonder if anyone know of any good gloves that you can wear while handling hay. Right now I have just normal working gloves but the hay still manage to come in contact with my skin.

I’m so unlucky my grass pollen allergy also started to react to when I touch hay and handle it. So I get small itchy spots and a local inflammation, where I come in contact with hay.

Not really good, because I get small wounds on my hands and arms. Which I can’t have at the place I work, to get extra money and it also troubles me when I have lab at my university.

I can’t buy just one grass sort because it would get extremely expensive and hard to find for me. Don’t really know what type of grass I react to. But I get different reaction depending on what grass it is. Also what time the hay was harvest, will have an effect.

Would be glad to get a few useful tips ^^

Picture of Toste eating hay :

IMG_4729.jpg

Flakes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you use rubber kitchen gloves? Or maybe Gardening work gloves?

Hermelin

Reaction score
I’ll go out and buy rubber kitchen gloves, never used those before.

Because my mom it’s allergic to rubber :3

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi. I have Carhartt insulated work gloves. They’re pretty thick and they last forever. Also, if you pick up your bunny and he nips you, you won’t feel a thing.
Thanks for the tips, I’ll take a look at it. I’m lucky none of my bunnies nips when being picked up they often just snuggle up or give kisses :)

Nancy McClelland

Larry
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a change in hay type might help. I'm very allergic to Timothy so I switched to orchard grass. Also bought a bulk box (100 count) of surgical glove and only use once and throw them away.

JenGibs

Reaction score
Look at your local tractor supply or hardware stores for the thick leather work gloves. They feel like suede on the outside. They have ones that are a little longer.
Worst case, find some welding gloves! Nothing gets through those babies!

Hermelin

Reaction score
Maybe a change in hay type might help. I'm very allergic to Timothy so I switched to orchard grass. Also bought a bulk box (100 count) of surgical glove and only use once and throw them away.
I can only find timothy hay and meadow hay from the farmers growing nearby. I buy hay in bulk because they go through one small hay bale (15kg) every month.

Never knew how much hay a french lop and holland lop could eat.

I often try to get the hay that not so dusty and early ripped.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Look at your local tractor supply or hardware stores for the thick leather work gloves. They feel like suede on the outside. They have ones that are a little longer.
Worst case, find some welding gloves! Nothing gets through those babies!
I will have a look at it and see if I find a good glove for me :)

Group Builder