Any experience with jaundice/liver disease?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyK

Reaction score
My rabbit was diagnosed today with some kind of liver problems, we're not sure exactly what it is. My vet is amazing and very helpful, he gave me lots of information.

She isn't eating on her own, I have to force feed her Critical Care and give her antibiotics. She lost 25% of her body weight in only a few days. She is very lethargic and weak. Right now, I'm just nursing her symptoms (force feeding, meds, stress-free environment). Blood work at this point wasn't recommended, because she is so weak, she may die from the stress. While getting her teeth checked, she exhausted herself to the point that she couldn't move.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this in rabbits that they could share? Did it eventually get better? If not, how long did your rabbit have? What are some ways I could make her more comfortable right now?

She died today. I figured I should post how it progressed, in case anyone searches this thread for help later:

After about 6 hours, she stopped eating completely. I tried to force feed her Critical Care but she refused to swallow. She was very lethargic and barely moved, but she refused to sleep (I don't know why). She kept going to corners and hiding her face, I think she knew what was going to happen.

She had been sitting in the same spot for about an hour. Out of nowhere, she bolted into her cage. She fell and had what appeared to be a seizure or a large muscle spasm. I took her out of her cage and she had another seizure/spasm. She couldn't stand up on her own, fell over, and passed away.

I hope no one else has to go through this, it was horrifying. :( Please take your rabbit to the vet if you notice any of these signs, but unfortunately, I think once it gets to this point, it's too late.

Latest posts

Back