Any dog breed you wouldnt own, and which breed would you love to have

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any kind of smaller terrier type dog I wouldn't own, simply because I have rats and rabbits. No go. I also wouldn't own a beagle or a lab. Or any hunting type dogs. I have a HUGE HUGE dislike for labs. HUGE. I don't know why.

Also saying that... Beau is a beagle/lab mix and is a perfectly good dog. LMAO. Bru is a German pointer mix. And Cooper is a lab/pit mix.

So obviously when I say I don't like a dog it means nothing. LMAO!! I don't know how I ended up with the three types of dogs I thought I would NEVER own. In all seriousness I'm actually NOT a dog person, despite having 4... So there probably isn't a breed where I'd go "I HAVE TO HAVE THAT DOG!".

My ultimate dog though would be my Karly, who is a golden retriever/border collie mix. She got the best of both worlds without having any of the annoying quirks or common behavior problems of either breed. I'm pretty sure she's a one off kind of thing, I've never met a dog that was as awesome as she is. :p So I think after her I might not have any of my OWN dogs, although I know my wife will always want dogs.

I love dogs; they're one of my favorite animals. I'm more into the sportingand herding group dogs, but I think they'reall cute.But of course, there are the breeds I wouldn't own. So basically I'm looking up dog breeds in the book I have...and I'll list which owns I wouldn't own and why; and which ones I would. haha. So this could get long! :p I won't name all. ;) Haha.

Wouldn't Own:

Afghan Hound - They are really cool looking dogs; but their fur can get sooo long! I don't think I'd have the time to brush it all ;)

Basset Hound - My dads' friend has a Basset. I think they're cute dogs but I just couldn't see myself owning one. ;) I'll leave that up to other people. lol.

Beagle - As long as I have rabbits or other small animals, nope! Plus they're super yippy.

Borzoi, Greyhound, Saluki and Whippets- They look funny! They are just such weird looking dogs.

Jack Russell: Don't really have good experiences with these dogs. Probably would never own one.

Poodle - They're just so....weird! And such crazy fur, too.

Boxer - Love em, but I don't really like how they look.

Great Dane - I like these dogs, but too big for me, I think. :p

Rotteweiler - Awesome dogs; but the only ones I've met were awful.

Siberian Husky - Ehhh... kind of iffy on these dogs.

Pugs - Not very appealing to me.

Would Own:

Basenji- Just a really cool looking dog. Haha.

Bloodhound - Love these dogs!! I know they're a hunting dog, but I just love them! I would of course use them for hunting ;)

Dachshunds - Love doxies! They're so cute! Already know I will have one of these one day! It will be a brown/chestnut colour and his name will be Arlo. (After my aunt's doxie that was named Arlo who I loved SO much!)

Finnish Spitz - Gorgeous dogs! Look kind of like dingoes; They're just too cute!

Hamiltonstovare - Interesting name, haha. But these dogs are also gorgeous. Kind of like a bigger version of the beagle. Very cute.

Rhodesian Ridgeback - Awesome looking dogs! I hear they have problems with their backs though; but they are still cute dogs.

Irish Setter - Gorgeous dogs! Majestic looking. Would of course have to have a red one. ;)

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever - Gorgeous dog! One of my dream dogs. Would love to have one of these. They are so cute!

Golden Retriever - Always have wanted a GR. Just amazing dogs.

Labrador Retriever - Probably the first dog I get when I move out will be a male Chocolate lab; which I'm going to name Remington. My old neighbor bred Labs so we always got to name a puppy from the litter. Labs are one of my fave. breeds. They are so smart and easy to train.

Pit Bull: Such cute dogs! No one in my family likes them, but I think they're awesome. Don't know if I will ever get to own one; but if I had the chance I would!

Chow Chow - These dogs have always been appealing to me. I think it's how chubby they look with all their fur. They're just too cute.

Dalmation: Always have loved these dogs. Definitely would love to have one!

Akita: Even though I was attacked by one of these dogs, they are just so cute. They look different than most dogs and I think that's what makes them unique. The one purebred Akita I know is just the friendliest dog ever!

Shar Pei - Another one of my faves. Love the way they look. Cute dogs.

Alaskan Malamute - Awesome dogs.

Anatolian Shepherd - If I ever had goats/sheep, I would have one of these for my guard dogs. I hear so much good things about them. They make great guard dogs for livestock. They're adorable too.

Australian Shepherd - Such nice dogs. Love em.

Australian Cattle Dogs - Love them as well!

Belgian Shepherd - Such awesome looking dogs! I've only seen one before. Make great guard dogs.

Border Collie - Without a doubt I will own one of these dogs before I die! Haha. Not a mix, either, a purebred. I love these dogs! So easy to train, and great with livestock.

Bernese Mountain Dog - Gorgeous!

Rough Collie - Can anyone say Lassie? My dream dog. One that looks just like Lassie himself, and has the name Lassie. Will be a girl though. haha.

German Shepherd - Love these dogs.

Old English Sheepdog - CUTE!

Newfoundland - Always liked these dogs. They are so awesome looking!

St. Bernard - Another dream dog. Will have one that looks as close to Beethoven himself as possible. Will also be named Beethoven. haha.

Shetland Sheepdog - Mini Collie! They're too cute. :)

Welsh Corgi - Love em! Such cute little dogs!

Chihuahua - Love these dogs. Had a chi mix from the time I was born until the time I was 14? 15? Not sure. They think they're so tough and they're just like little kids. Love em! lol.

Pomeranian - So cute! I love these dogs! :) Look like little real life teddy bears! :)

Emily

I think the bernese mountain dogs are gorgeous, as are Afghan hounds, golden retrievers, akitas, collies, German Shepard, ...

Boy, I must like to brush hair :D

Schnauzers remind me of Jock from Lady and the tramp :); Cairn Terriers and Scotties I like too.
I love the look of the Husky... My Star (@parents) is a husky/yellow lab mix. He isn't very responsive... certainly has a mind of his own! Sure is beautiful though.
Spaniels aren't appealing to me for some reason... Not quite sure why.
Yorkies are kind of pretty...
Belgian Tervuren -- oooh! http://www.justdogbreeds.com/belgian-tervuren.html
Great Pyrenees :)

But at the end of the day, I'll always choose a purebred Heinz 57 from the pound;)

NorthernAutumn wrote:
I think the bernese mountain dogs are gorgeous,

My friend has one! Stunning sweet dog.

4402_1094434732690_1581220072_216758_1875659_n.jpg

I would definitely own:

Lab - very smart and loving and get along with everyone (owned a few)
Cavalier King Charles - great desposition
Shitz Shu - very cute
Pit Bulls - big mushes
French Bulldog - very sweet

Never will own:
Jack Russel - too high strung and not social (owned one)
Husky - don't listen very stubborn (owned one)
Golden Retriever - cute but Dumb Dumb Dumb dogs
German Shepards - great protectors but always working
Schnauzer's - hyper
Cocker Spaniel - they bite
Any Terriers - terrors, don't like their personalities
Standard Poodles - very intelligent but always trying to out smart you
Chow Chow - can't trust

NorthernAutumn wrote:
But at the end of the day, I'll always choose a purebred Heinz 57 from the pound;)

They're the best! :p The only dogs I've ever owned have all been mixes...One was a stray (which happened to be me and my sisters' very first large dog/of our own); the other we got from the auction (she wasn't in the auction; her owner was just looking for a new home for her) and thenadopted one but returned him since he was crazy wild and not good with cats; and of course the Chi mix which was a accident puppy :p

Emily

There are many misconceptions about different breeds of dogs I have noticed. In the dog world there are so many different groups and each group has it's own attributes. Herding dogs may nip. Border Collies are prone to this. They seem to have the most natural herding ability left of the herding breeds that are more common.
Sporting groups hunt but in different ways. Most retreivers aren't the typical 'hunting' dog. They retrieve their masters' catches.
Honestly one of my biggest pet peeves is hearing those who want a dog because they like the looks of that breed. Well I think Huskys are beautiful but I wouldn't own one. The same thing with Beagles (very cute little guys) but not my cup of tea. This doesn't make them bad. This is me knowing what behavior these breeds are known to exhibit and knowing they aren't for me or my situation.
Saying all small dogs are yappy or nippy is very wrong. I know this first hand. I have known 2 very sweet Cockers in my lifetime (not all bite). I was attacked (badly) by a Doberman when I was 8 years old BUT I have met many nice, stable dobies and I would own one.
Oh and Goldens aren't dumb.... Not at all. They are happy, happy dogs usually but are intelligent. Some say Boxers and Bull breeds are dumb but the truth is they are far from it- they just need convincing that something is worth doing. They aren't GSDs whom are ready to do what you want at almost any time.

I always said the reason Karly was freakishly smart is because she was part golden and part border collie. I'd known those two breeds to be relatively smart and quick on the uptake.

This isn't just my opinion I've been around all those breeds and have known others who have experienced the same thing. I have known dozens of Golden's and they don't have a brain cell. No not all cocker's bite but I've been bit by one and like I said I know several dog walkers, trainers and behaviorists that have been bit, they are prone to bite.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:

They're the best! :p The only dogs I've ever owned have all been mixes...One was a stray (which happened to be me and my sisters' very first large dog/of our own); the other we got from the auction (she wasn't in the auction; her owner was just looking for a new home for her) and thenadopted one but returned him since he was crazy wild and not good with cats; and of course the Chi mix which was a accident puppy :p

Emily
I have never had a purebred dog either, not planning to either unless I find a purebred one in the pound. I wouldn't be paying hundreds for a dog when there are free ones about to die in shelters and pounds, I don't care what they look like lol!

I guess the thing is that most folks will never actually be able to afford a purebred animal unless it winds up in the pound. I will probably never have at least $500 at the ready to purchase a purebred (nor the inclination). Therefore, I'm able to ooh and aww over looks readily ;)

Obviously, each individual temperament is what attracts me. I haven't had the opportunity to experience more than one dog in my life yet (Star is 15 year old husky who is still going strong!) There are a few sites out there where you can run a diagnostic test to see which dog breed would theoretically best suit your own traits:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Hmm..
I probably wouldn't own anything that's small and YAP YAP YAPS, :p
But I'm a SUCKER for big dogs, LOL.

I'd love to own~
Great Dane. -I love these things, always have. They're beautiful. I'm sooo getting on when I get the chance.
Rottweiler
Pit Bulls
Akita. SO cute!!
And German Shepherds.

irishbunny wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:

Emily
I have never had a purebred dog either, not planning to either unless I find a purebred one in the pound. I wouldn't be paying hundreds for a dog when there are free ones about to die in shelters and pounds, I don't care what they look like lol!
There are lots of rescues around, well at least in the states, that are breed specific. If i own a dog after my three go i might try a golden retiriever rescue and either foster until i find "the" dog or i will ultimately go to the pound. now with breed specific rescues you are always going to get a purebred dog.

Latest posts

Back