Any dog breed you wouldnt own, and which breed would you love to have

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
CKGS started a thread about what rabbits wouldn't you own and started it out with that she wouldn't own a Beagle, i with ya on that one,lol. Got me to thinking what dog wouldn't you own, or what dog do you just not like. Same with this thread no bashing of breeds , and just because you dont want to own a particular dog doesnt mean that you HATE that specific breed.

Here goes my list, yes i have a list,lol

Beagles , even though i own one now i will never (i probably shouldnt say never) own another one again

Lab's - they do nothing for me, i think for the most part they are insane

Chihuahua - another breed that doesnt do anything for me, i dont get them i have cats that are bigger then most of them,lol. But i have seen and know a few that i really liked but they just arent a dog that i would want . Sorry Lauren i really do like your guys they were cute,lol

Cocker spaniels - i groomed and NEVER met one that was not off their rocker, lol, everyone hated to be groomed and was nuts,lol

Jack russels, or fox terriers are another dog that does nothing for me

bull dogs cute but not one i would own

Sharpie i dont find them cute, or i should say i have never met a cute one,lol

Chow Chows i am absolutely TERRIFIED of these dogs, dont ask me why but i am

Great danes i would never get one of these guys cause i dont think i would feel comfortable enough that i had enough control over such a large dog, they are beautiful dogs but this would be a dog that i would have to wait till there were not kids and i could devote ALOT of time training

Saint Bernards - oh my word the slobber factor on this dog,lol

Dogs that i would own if i could go today and get whatever ones i wanted,lol

Golden retriever - i have never met one i didnt like
Rotti's i love rottis
Pitt bull - Dont want to hear the debate about these guys
Dachshunds i just think these guys are cute
Newfoundland gentle giants
Basenji

I don't really like very little dogs. I fell that I would break it. Considering that a lot of people get them as fashion accessories and they are widely used by puppy mills, it would be hard to find an even tempered one who good lines.
In general, I would not have a lab or German Shepard because of the difference between show and working lines. The working lines are too intense for me and I would not be able to provide the dog with the simulation it needs. Show labs are fat (it's in the breed standard for them to be overweight) and the GS have poor hips and the slope of the back is way to exaggerated.
Most working lines dogs, especially in the terrier, hound and sporting groups would be a danger to the rabbits and the drive is too much for me. Working lines for some of the breeds in the Working group I could handle, but it would depend on the breed.
Any dog with a flat face (bull dogs, pugs etc) don't appeal to me whatsoever. The hairless breeds are just weird.

I would love to have a landseer Newfoundland.

Fran- I question your choice of wanting a newfie. They drool the same as a St. Bernard. Awesome dogs, but they do drool and shed a lot.

List Of Dogs I Would Never Have:
Dachshunds - Hate them, they are super ugly & totally irratating. JMO.
Siberian Husky - Pretty but they don't listen, even with good training :/
Jack Russels - Too common & highstrung

Dogs I would love to own:
Borzoi - Look at them, they are so "exotic" looking
Afghan Hound - Friendly & ABSOLUTLY gorgeous
Saluki - Also VERY beautiful
Akita - Own a mixed one, love the way purebred ones look
Pitbulls - Friendly and extremely obediant
Bull Terrier - Gorgeous! Super Friendly
Chow Chow - 3 Words: Giant Teddy Bear
&
Basset Hounds - One of my favs! Soo cute :D

Hrm...this thread is harder then the rabbit thread.

I probably wouldn't want to own purebred German Shepherds, Yorkies, Maltese, Poodle, etc. I don't really like the personalities of most Shepherds or little dogs like shakey/bitey/weird little dogs. I understand not ALL dogs of these breeds/categories act like this...so I guess it would take a special dog of these to win me over.

I do have my eyes set on certain breeds of dogs that I would want to own. I love Newfies, I want to steal the resident black Lab at the local grain store, Pit Bulls are a top choice, Mastiffs at the dog park have always been charming, Doxies have my heart, Beagles are a love of mine. Really...just unique breeds/dogs.

To be honest...I would take a mix anyday. For me....it all depends on personality. My actual dream dog would be a Pit/Doxie mix. My husband wants a chocolate Lab, but only if we adopt it when it is 3 years old or so. I am more geared towards "bulky" breeds and dogs on short stubby legs. I am a sucker for anything mixed with a Doxie.

undergunfire wrote:
To be honest...I would take a mix anyday. For me....it all depends on personality. My actual dream dog would be a Pit/Doxie mix. My husband wants a chocolate Lab, but only if we adopt it when it is 3 years old or so. I am more geared towards "bulky" breeds and dogs on short stubby legs. I am a sucker for anything mixed with a Doxie
A friend of mine was just giving away chocolate lab/pit cross puppies, too bad you don't live closer! I was so tempted to take one, they are adorable! Honestly if I wasn't prego I would have brought one home!

I've never really liked little dogs, but I've always wanted a great dane or a mix. I like big dogs.

As I said in the rabbit thread- No beagles for me. Most of the hound breeds just aren't my cup of tea actually. Every beagle I have been around isn't as kid friendly as led to believe.
I am very much a fan/admirer of most of the working breeds and the herding breeds although there are a few herding breeds I wouldn't own. One being a border collie. They are VERY intelligent but also VERY energetic. They tend to be nippy (which is part of their trait for herding) but a little too much for my family.

Filas are also too much for my family. I wouldn't enjoy owning a dog that has to be kept locked away when there are others outside of family in my home.

I LOVE German Shepherd Dogs, Rotties, Dobermans, Great Danes, Mastiffs, Bullmastiffs, Boxers, Bearded Collies, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Chow Chows, Miniature Pinschers, Schnauzers (Giant,Standard, and Miniature), English Bulldogs, Corgis (Pembroke and Cardigan), Boston Terriers, Pugs, French Bulldogs... Lol I love many breeds of dogs but have just as many that just aren't perfect fits for my needs and wants.

I love doxies - but I'll never have another one...why? They're as stubborn (or more so) than a toddler...very hard to train and we had one for over 10 years and she was still stubborn when she passed away. With that said - she was a fun dog and I enjoyed her.

I love chow chows...we had a super sweet red one. She was actually 3/4 chow...but she looked pure bred.

I'm finding that when I don't want to strangle Millie...I love her intelligence and she is a border collie mixed. Sometimes I think she's border collie mixed with doxie...

I love Sasha dearly - she's a German Shepherd mix - but dumb as they come. She even has this jowl that makes her look dumb.

Honestly though - I think I'm finding that I'm really not a dog person....I'm a flemish giant person. They're enough "cat" and "dog" for me and when they're litter trained and using their training....they're more fun (and cheaper to feed once they are done growing).

I would never own a German Shepard, I have a huge fear of them as my current dog was nearly killed by one before when I was walking her and I was also attacked by one so I totally panic whenever I see one.

To be honest I don't ever really want to own a pure bred dog, I find mix breeds live longer, have less health problems and often times friendlier. Plus I don't support the breeding of dogs in my country because of the enormous amount of dogs being put to sleep every year. We put down more dogs in my county then they do in the whole of Britain. Just my PO.

Not many dogs I would not own mabye a chow chow I had one as a kid everytime I see one I want to cry.

I would take a mutt anyday

Shibu inu thats the dog I am getting next

Great dane I love them my land lord had one lady was her name she was hit by a car.

Pit Bull once I buy a house cause renting and owning one dont mix very offen.

I thought I wanted a chi but there really very active dogs so not for me if I want a active dog I want a big active dog

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Fran- I question your choice of wanting a newfie. They drool the same as a St. Bernard. Awesome dogs, but they do drool and shed a lot.
Ha that one completely slipped my i just really like the newfies,lol but you are right they are super slobbers too

I think I wouldn't own a big dog unless I had a house and it was good with the bunnies. I can't say there is one breed I wouldn't try. For the longest time I said that I didn't think I was a dog person but the last few months I came to realize that I was holding back from dogs because I missed my first dog. I didn't want to be hurt like that again.

Well breeds I wouldn't own:
Pitbull
Great Dane
Bulldog
Husky
Shiba Inu
Collie
Bull Mastif

Breeds I might own:
Boxer (mainly cuz my fiancee likes them)
highland terrier
yorkshire terrier

Breeds I'd love to own:
Dalmation
Alsation
Pug
Pomerianian
Chihuaha
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Doberman (I'd call it Zeus like in the K911 movie!)
Rottweiler

I'd like to own the doberman and rottweiler at the same time, no-one would mess with you if you were on you own and you were walking those together lol!

I may add to this once I get home, my dog breed book is there and I'm at the beach right now.

Breeds I wouldn't own:

Pitbull

Rottwieler-Have had some bad accounts with them before.Although they are really cute!

Akita-Againhave had bad accoutswith them. Sort of wierd looking dogtoo.

Great Dane-Just too big for me lol.

Hmmm thats all I can thinkof for now.

BreedsI wouldlove toown:

Dalmation- Ihave always wanted one!They are justthe neatest dogs I think.

St.Bernard--Socute ad fluffy!Too much drool but thats okay.

Husky/Malamute types- I just looove these dogs.

Wolf Hybrid-Yah callme crazy but I am a wolf lover like my cousin and I thinkitwould be just soo awesome toown a wolf mix.

Golden Retriver-Just great dogs and soo beautiful.

Labs-Best dogs ever,love the water, very trainable.Love em!!

Cattle Dogs, Collies, Australian Shepard-I just love these dogs! So pretty and unique! Epecialy love the mini aussies! I have owned cattledog before and older siste has aussie.

Cocker Spaniel-Loved them as long as Dalmations.Sooo cute and I love their fur!

Yorkie-How could you resist thatface! And the urge to put a bow in their hair!! Tooo cute!

Bernese Mountain Dog-Oneof the most gorgeous dogs ever!

I think thats it for now. :)

Kirsty, I had my German Shepherd Dog and Rottweiler at the same time and always took walks after my kiddos were in bed for the night so it was late. No one ever thought about coming near me. Lol.

THIS IS SUPER HARD..
I actually made a thread on the dog forum I go on a few weeks ago on this.

Here is my list of dogs that I would love to get if nothing had to get in the way (time, money, space etc etc etc etc)

-Great Dane
-Jack Russell Terrier
-St. Bernard
-New Foundland
-Boxer
-Pug
-Rottweiler
-Pit bull
-Bernese mountain dogs
-Doberman

Dont wats are hard..
I wouldn't refuse any dogs though.
Any mix for me is fine too, I don't see why people prefer purebred dogs.

EDIT:
Ooops forgot a golden retriever.. GRT's are defo the first breed i would get, since owning my first one (Luca) I'm hooked lol

I wouldn't own;

Short haired Chihuahua (they bug me...but i'd own a long-haired)
German Shepard (3 bad personally experiences.. don't need flashbacks)
Golden retriever (shed..)
Husky ( i find it mean, in the summer...)
Shih shu (they have a weird attitude..and look.. odd)
Bull dog (I'd laugh at him to much..)
'Weiner' dog (Bad attitudes... and they can't do much because risk of back probs)
Doberman (their appearance scares me...)
Neapolitan Mastiff (their..well...ugly, and drool a lot)
Wolf mix (..scared of 'wildness' instinct popping in)

I make the list I would tomorrow, to tired

what i would like.. any dog, but mostly a mongeral.
but if i could
Afghan Hound - looks
Saluki - looks (but i know looks ant every thing)
I would adore an irish wolf hound
big hound dogs

not like
small dogs.. but i have a mutt called sockey a jack russell and pomorainan cross:)
any small dogs

This is my kind of thread! Hmmmmm...well, I have an Am staff, and a St Bernard right now. Two are good since the St is equal to like 3 regular dogs...and believe it or not he doent drool unless hes hot or is drinking. I love pits, bulldogs and really and big, droopy, drooly dog. I LOVE Collies. Im not one for poodles but Im ok with the standard ones. Hmmm....German Shepherds (which if I can convince my hubby) will be my next addition =) I love them and they are so easy to train. I like a dog that you can work with, whether it be pulling, running, swimming....I love all dogs but I guess i really wouldnt own
Huskies (they just dont listen and they have a very high prey drive...not good when you have small critters running around=),
Bichon frises...just think they are ugly,
Chows (love 'em but they are more one person dogs and I have kids),
Beagles...cute but cant stand them

I could go on forever....dogs are my number one choice for pets...next to my bunnies of course =)

Latest posts

Back