Any babies this week?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'll start off this week's kindling thread with the announcement that my Best of Breed (homegrown) doe - Anissa - had FIVE babies shortly after midnight this morning....

I'll try to take photos today - all babies (and mama) are healthy!

Anyone else having babies this week?

Peg

bojay wrote:
Congratulations! Way to go Anissa! Who's the proud father?
The proud father is my favorite harlequin DOE...who turned into a buck at 9.5 or 10 weeks of age. I pulled "him" out of the doe cage - along with two other bucks who literally dropped their boy parts from one day to the next. (I had been checking them every 3 days to a week...and I had checked the day before. Suddenly one morning... two of them were "practicing" mounting - so I went through the does cage one more time.).

There are days when I HATE the gender fairy! But he is a gorgeous buck with nice type and he actually has a body that corrects many of her faults - so I'm looking at this litter and going "oh my!". I have one harlequin, two blacks, one chestnut (I think) and one that is all pink so far.

I think I'm going to have more does due this week too...thanks to this little buck.

I am going to groom him and tajke photos of him hopefully later today!

Peg

I'm not having kits THIS week, but next week!

The daughter of my Best of Breed Dutch/ ReserveGrand Championis giving birth onMarch 1st. My BOB is in charge of producing the meat pen for show this year, and I'm going to a show in March to get a new breeder. I also have to sell my BOB's babies sometime soon. I have a busy rabbit monthnext month. How many rabbits do you have, and how often do you breed? Maybe we could be friends!

Akkatia wrote:
How many rabbits do you have, and how often do you breed? Maybe we could be friends!
I'd have to do a headcount as I have some babies I'm about to sell...but I have over 50 rabbits all together - I can tell you that much.

I breed year round - but I don't like to breed my does back to back. I breed for show quality rabbits - although some are pets because they aren't showable under ARBA due to their colors (like harlequins, brokens, otters and chocolate).

I'm very proud of my lionheads and they are getting to the point now where I'll be competing at Nationals in May in Columbus, Oh. I'm still trying to decide who goes and who doesn't go - and I already have orders for some of my babies - so that is nice.

How long have you been breeding? I started last year and I love it. I do try to treat my breeding animals as pets - they get toys and exercise time and treats.

Peg

I have babies due on the 23rd!:bunnydance: My 1st ever lionhead litter!!! My mommy-to-be started making her nest today!!! Heehee! So excited!

You have to share photos after she has them (ok...you can wait a few days). Its so funny looking at lionheads though because if they're double mane - they don't have fur on their hindquarters for a bit....

Hi everyone , well my opal netherland dwarf had 5 kits early this morning , all are healthy and about the same size, except one smaller baby ( not a peanut, though ) . :bunnydance:

Peg, I have a question for you...in browsing past posts, I was unable to find your topic on lionhead breeding and genetics.

good evening/morning !

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy: :stork:

Kadish Tolesa wrote:
Peg, I have a question for you...in browsing past posts, I was unable to find your topic on lionhead breeding and genetics.

When I was banned last year - many of my topics and posts got deleted and I went from over 1400 messages to around 400. It is possible that is one of the ones that got deleted.

Feel free to start a new topic with any questions you might have!

Peg

LOL. OK i will definatley post piccies!!!! I'm sitting here patiently waiting for he babies to come.....who am i kidding i want the babies NOW! Lol. I'm so excited!:DCongrats Kadish Tolesa on your babies!!!!

Thanks, Rhapsody :)Hope all goes smoothly for your expected kits.

Good and bad news today.....the opal (Beatrix)n.d. doe's 5 kits are all fat and sassy:colors:; but my other opal (Emma)n.d. doe ATE part of one of her babies before we were up.........and she also just delivered a stillborn :(.This is her firstlitter, though. A breeder I called said to try and give them a very small bit of raw hamburger before they kindle .:?Not having tried this, though, I'm not sure if it works.

Peg, my question is....I've read that some lionhead breeders cross a netherland dwarf into their lionhead herd ....I suppose this is done to try to make the lionhead smaller ?( I read about this in Bob Whitman's "Rare bits and Pieces -- history of the lionhead " ) The next question is , how many generations of breeding back into the lionhead breed does it take to have a purebred lionhead ?

I was imagining about 6 , because most pedigrees have generations going back that far.

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

My doe had her first (and last) litter last week!

The babbies are around 5 days old and getting some hair, I will have to get some pics up soon. There are 3 blacks, one with a touch of white) and then 4 that are still deciding, the look brownish grey right now but are adorable! The runt is getting so much bigger! Momma is doing great, I have been able to watch her feed! The babbies are getting pretty active now, crawling around and yapping at each other if one step son their head :?

Daddy just got nueterd and he did great, I was worried about him but he is fine!

These babbies are going to be huge! You should see the feet on some of them!

It is so exciting having your first litter ever! :colors:

And thanks Peg, you were great help getting me ready for the first litter! :thanks:

Hey, i just figured I'd go ahead and TRY to answer your question since i'm here. Yes, people breed purebred lionheads with ND to bring down the size. When they do that they get F1 babies. You have to have 4 generations to have a purebred(or an F4) Hope that helped some. lol. O and i'm sorry about your other litter...:cry2

Kadish Tolesa wrote:
A breeder I called said to try and give them a very small bit of raw hamburger before they kindle .:?Not having tried this, though, I'm not sure if it works.

Peg, my question is....I've read that some lionhead breeders cross a netherland dwarf into their lionhead herd ....I suppose this is done to try to make the lionhead smaller ? ( I read about this in Bob Whitman's "Rare bits and Pieces -- history of the lionhead " ) The next question is , how many generations of breeding back into the lionhead breed does it take to have a purebred lionhead ?

I was imagining about 6 , because most pedigrees have generations going back that far.

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:
Hi! I'm late getting on the board this morning. First of all - your question about the hamburger. I've never heard hamburger suggested - but I have heard of bacon being suggested. Most breeders that I know of who "know their stuff" and have been breeding for many years - have told me (and its been more than one) to use a bit of bacon if a doe tends to cannibalize their young. Mind you - you're going to hear an outcry from some folks saying, "Oh no...that is wrong....rabbits don't eat meat!" So you are going to have to ask yourself if you're going to trust breeders who have YEARS of experience....or naysayers who don't breed. I've never had to use bacon and I'm not real sure how I would feel about it - but after hearing it mentioned before on this forum and checking into it more....and the logic behind it - I've heard that it works! I just can't suggest it from personal experience. However, I do know that the doe eats the placenta....and that isn't vegetable matter......just something to think about!

As far as the pedigrees - Rhapsody is right. The offspring of a ND and a lionhead breeding would be labelled "F1". The offspring from that baby being mated with a lionhead (purebred) would become "F2". Do a breeding with the F2 and a purebred lionhead and you have what is called "F3". One more breeding with the F3 and a purebred and you now have a purebred lionhead. I think this is because ARBA wants 3 generation (4 generation?) pedigrees when they register rabbits.

You can find out more at the bottom of this webpage:

http://www.lionhead.us/talk_lionhead.htm

I hope that this helps!

Peg

DustyBegginings wrote:
My doe had her first (and last) litter last week!

It is so exciting having your first litter ever! :colors:
And thanks Peg, you were great help getting me ready for the first litter! :thanks:
I still remember my first litter - what an awesome experience. I'm so glad everything has gone well for you - and that is a nice sized litter too! I can hardly wait to see pictures.

Poor Mona Kea - her babies are three weeks old today - they've been out of the nestbox for a bit. She used to lunge at me if I put my hand in her cage - now she is begging me to let her out and get her away from the babies for a bit. She's taught them how to drink out of her water bottle - and how to eat solids (ok - they didn't really need help with that). But the funny thing is that today she turned over the nestbox and sat on top of it to keep away from the babies - who were all trying to run around and figure out how to get to mama.

Well, I think I'll stop typing and go let her out of her cage for some exercise time....but congrats on your litter.

Peg

Congrats, DustyBeginnings ! I've only been able to catch mama nursing her kits when they were older .

Thanks Peg,for the link to lionhead info. , and also for the info on the bacon......."Emma"--who lost her litter of two, ate up a "blob" of placenta,later today . :disgust: At least it looked like placenta.

Thanks Rhapsody and Peg for your help with the lionhead + netherland dwarf combination.Wow.........I have a litter of 5 F1 babies. Both parents are pedigreed back to5 generations . The sire is a double-maned lionhead and is rather small himself.

Have to go now ....our toddler is getting cranky :bed:.

Kadish Tolesa:pinkpansy::runningrabbit: :pinkpansy:

MY BABIES WERE BORN THIS MORNING!!!!:bunnydance::elephant::bunnydance::elephant:

5 pink and wrinkly lil buggers! How can ya'll tell what colors they are this early?

Life is so exciting here today....

Nestboxes have gone in cages. Some does are sitting in the nestbox just thinking. Some have knocked their nestbox over and are trying to get it where they want it. Summer is giving birth in her nestbox right now.....I can see her from here and she's pulled her fur already. Other gals are arranging their hay and carrying it around in their mouth......and I'm off to the feed store as soon as Summer is done because I desperately need more hay.

That is what "kindling day" is like in our house....I try to breed does together (per several books I've read) so that I can foster if need be.

How is everyone else doing today?

Peg

Latest posts

Back