Anxious, New Rabbit Mommy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingstar

Reaction score
Astro has been living with me for nearly two weeks now, and even though he hasn't warmed up to me a 100%, he seems pleased with the living arrangements. I hadn't had the heart to restrict him to a cage, so I made him a "bedroom" out of my closet, and he only stays in there while I'm at work and when I'm asleep. Otherwise, the apartment is his. He doesn't seem to care much about toys, or about being touched, but he loves to run around and to explore the apartment. He's especially curious about the bathroom, as it's off limits, and will take any opportunity I present to him to investigate the room. I'm still looking for an animal clinic that's experienced with rabbits, so he hasn't been fixed, yet, and I'm extremely nervous about any complications that the operation may cause. He seems to be in good health, but I'm always so nervous, I haven't had a good night's rest since I brought him home. 😓 He's always excited about the prospect of food, even if it's only fresh hay, and takes to following me around the apartment whenever he seems to think there's chance that I'll present him with more food. Once, when I was mixing his pellets, he became so excited by the sound of it, he ended up running head-first into the wall! 😅

Here are a few pictures of him:

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423095022.127074.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423095042.400957.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423095064.013635.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1423095094.087459.jpg

If anyone has any tips, I'd really like to hear them! ☺️

What a sweet, handsome little charmer! Love his walrus impression as he inhales two stalks of hay at once. :p Sounds like you're taking marvelous care of him. Always good to see a bunny tucking into his hay, I'm sure he's a strong healthy boy. As long as you find an experienced rabbit vet to perform the procedure, neuters are a very low-risk surgery so it's nothing to lose sleep over. How old is he?

Thank you! He always seems to be munching away on something or another. 😄 I was told that he's around five months old.

He's cute, and I love the name. Bandit also gets ridiculously excited about pellets and craisins and goes into a frenzy any time I walk near the cupboard that they're kept in :p

If you're very worried about the neuter, you can get a blood test done before hand which helps check for underlying issues that cause a problem under anesthetic, though I don't think they're cheap. Otherwise, because neuters aren't really invasive surgery, it is low risk. Whereabouts are you located, someone here may be able to help with local rabbit vets.

I love little black bunnies, and yours is no exception. He's awesome!!!!

Thank you, everyone! The reassurances really do calm my nerves a bit! ^_^ I've found two doctors where I live that have at least worked with rabbits before, but one of them has only neutered "a few" males, and the other one told me that she fixes maybe two or three rabbits a year. Neither of them inspired a lot of confidence in me about the whole thing. >_<

Omg he is so cute! He kinda sounds like our bunnies, it will b one week tomorrow since we brought them home everyone says it can take a long time for the buns to warm up to u I hope they are righ I can't wait!! Best of luck

Latest posts

Back