Antibiotics and Diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puddles

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, we adopted a pair of buns (aproximately one year old). On the way home I noticed one of them sneezed a couple of times, and then over the next few days the sneezing got worse.

I took them to the vet, and the sneezey one was prescribd Baytril. The vet warned us that she might experience some diarrhea as a side effect. It is now day seven (three more days to go) on the antibiotic, and she has started having diarrhea. It is not too bad, but it still concerns me. She has stopped sneezing, and obviously feels better despite the diarrhea.

Should we give her a few ccs of pedialyte when we give her her meds (she hates being handled). Can we put a little in a dish for her to drink? Will it be ok if the other one drinks a little too?

I rescued a mini rex 2 years ago with bad enough snuffles that she was going to be euthanized. We started her on a Baytril regiment and it gave her similar results, but temporary. I began giving her real fruit juice to supplement some of the nutrients lost with her soft stools but her problem may not have been as severe as what yours is facing. I would definitely ask your vet to run blood work before you begin supplementing your bunny's electrolytes with pedialyte but its definitely something you may want to consider.

When we got her we also didn't know she was pregnant, and when we found out (the day she had her kits), we stopped the baytril as we were told it can be harmful to the little ones. When her symptoms came back I took her to the Ontario Veterinary College and one the professor of exotics recommended a paediatric antibiotic called "Azithromycin" for Sweet Marie to control her snuffles. We have used it every time she's had a flare up since.

Apparently Baytril, although still a great drug to treat the symptoms of snuffles in some cases, has lost its effectiveness in recent years due to the tolerance of bacteria. But Azithromycin has never caused an issue for Sweet Marie, we've never had any side effects (such as diarrhea) and her kits developed normally. (Although they were more than likely carriers of the disease). It seems to have hit her snuffles hard and her flareups went from once a month to once every 6-8 months. Her quality of life has improved greatly.

I hope this might offer you an alternative if you're worried about the diarrhea. I lost a rabbit just this weekend after a seizure that was possibly related to an electrolyte imbalance, and so I am particularly eager to see your bunny isn't put at risk. Until you can get your rabbit's levels checked by a vet, you may want to treat your bunny with some juice (I always keep the V8 Fruit fusion juice around my house for the bunnies). Since your bunny has shown the side effects of the Baytril, you may want to talk to your veterinarian about Azithromycin or another possible alternative drug to treat your bunny's illness.

Latest posts

Back