Another Tooth Abscess...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
As many of you remember I have had more than my share of experience with abscesses. Max had a horrible tooth root abscess a few years back that almost took his life. Basil also had one removed from his cheek a few years back. All in all I have spent at least 2k on vet dentistry between the two.

I just had to share what is happening now because I feel just sick about it. Biggie Max has been a little picky with his food lately, which I attributed to the fact that he sheds more than any bunny Ive ever had and hence gets pretty gassy. He never went more thana day without eating.

Today I heard him sneezing so my instincts told me to give him a good once over (especially around the head bc little Max sneezed so much when he had his tooth abscess). I found a huge almost golfball sized hard lump under his chin on the right side and my heart dropped. To be honest, I dont know how long it has been there. Biggie is pretty independent and doesnt like to be held so I usually only hold him when Im cutting nails etc. Most of the time Im on the floor petting him. He also has long thick fur so its impossible to see the thing.

I made an appt with the vet dentist for tomorrow so we'll see if he confirms my suspicion that its an abscess. I started him on Metacam for now.

I just really need some prayers and support right now. I am financially drained from Max's previous vet bills and Basil's recent arthritic problems. I really dont know how I can pay for another surgery. The credit card is about maxed out (no pun intended :().

When it rains, it pours :cry1:

I know what you went through Haley and I'm really sorry about this....

Icannot remember whether Max had teeth removed or surgery on his jaw ? I know how much the dentist cost becauseI have spent probably over that on Beau's teeth in the last several years.

The only thing that I can think is that there is not a better person to be with him through this because you've "been there , done that" so many times before.
I'll be interested in what the dentist decides to do
I 'm so sorry ; sometimes it seems as if these problems are never ending ...:(
Hugs
Maureen

Thanks guys. Just knowing others know how I feel helps.

Im still tossing around the idea of cancelling the appt and trying Bicillin and Metacam for a few weeks to see if it helps. My fear is how big it is and that if we dont do surgery it will get worse (or Im wasting time with antibiotics and its a tumor or something). What do you guys think? Keep the appt?

Maureen, little Max had his abscess/shards of jaw bone and all front teeth removed. Biggie Max has never had any dental work.

Haley wrote:
Maureen, little Max had his abscess/shards of jaw bone and all front teeth removed. Biggie Max has never had any dental work.

OMG I didn't know that ;

how old is Big max and is he acting normal?

Did you ever discuss little Max with Randy as he usually says surgery is not necessary ( although I always think if there are infected teeth and roots in there that they would need to come out)

Biggie Max is about 5 years old. I got him from an RO member in Chicago. He was supposed to be a foster but I kept him. Oddly enough, he has been here for 2 years and has not had any vet bills so I have been lucky there.

He has been picky about eating but still eats normally until today (even eating carrots and such).

I know Randy and others recommend trying meds first but Im like you, when its a tooth root it seems more severe. Were thinking we will keep the appt and at least see if the vet can find out what it is and go from there.

Oh no, I'm sorry! I agree that meds are usually the best way to treat an abscess, but when there are teeth in there, a surgery to remove the tooth seems to be necessary. Hopefully a dental x-ray would be able to tell you if the tooth root is infected, requiring tooth removal, or if it's just a tissue abscess that doesn't involve any jaw bone either.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry. what a nightmare.

I really hope that this is not as bad as you fear. i too agree that you should keep the appointment because they have access to the things like x-rays, that you don't have.

Please keep us updated.

Thinking of you and Biggie Max.

x

Thanks again for the support, guys. I feel awful about not being around lately. Its only when your own bunnies are sick and/or you need help that you realize how amazing this place is.

Everything went ok today at the vet's (except for the $580 bill). Dr. Clarkston, a vet dentist in Ann Arbor who saved Max's life, operated and removed the abscess and his front bottom inscisor. He thinks the top ones will be ground down ok by the one remaining one. Biggie is doing ok but I can tell hes terrified. I have to flush the area out twice a day and he is on Bicillin injections and pain meds for a while.

We were gone from 9 am and just got home so Im off to crash on the couch. Im letting Biggie just chill for a while in his hideout.

Thanks again for all your support.

Oof. At least it sounds like that is a great vet who knows what he's doing. Good thoughts for you today as he recovers.

tonyshuman wrote:
Oof. At least it sounds like that is a great vet who knows what he's doing. Good thoughts for you today as he recovers.

Yeh I agree sounds like your vet is great

Iknow you'll keep us up-dated on him..poor guy

I was just thankful the molar wasnt involved. Sometimes that front incisor reaches so far back into the bottom jaw that it touches the molar if it gets infected. We were lucky.

He also said the abscess was still pretty much encapsulated (is that a word? Lol) meaning it was more enclosed and hadnt really broken open into the jaw, which made it easier to remove.

I'm sorry you're going through this again, Haley - I remember when little Max was so ill :(

At least the abscess removal sounds like it was a success, and hadn't spread, so hopefully the meds will ensure there's no more problems.

Thinking of you all

Jan

Latest posts

Back