Another reason not to like PETA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I haven't seen you on in ages!

That is just plain horrible! How can people claiming to be against cruelty do that!

pamnock wrote:
Here's another article on the same topic . . .

I think it'sthe same article, just easier to read.I alsothink that nowit's on Yahoo, we can post ithere.

Trial set to start for PETA workers caught euthanizing, dumping cats and dogs

By Harriet Ryan, Court TV Mon Jan 22, 1:29 PM ET

NEW YORK ]Court TV[/color]) -

The dog carcasses always appeared late on Wednesday nights, wrapped inblack trash bags and stuffed in the Dumpster behind the Piggly Wigglysupermarket.

Over a period of three weeks in the summer of 2005, police officers inthe small town of Ahoskie, N.C., pulled the bodies of 80 animals fromthe trash bin. Some were puppies, some were full-grown. Most were mutts.

On the fourth week, officers set up a stakeout, and when a white van pulled up to the dumpster, they pounced.

If the van's cargo — 10 dead dogs and three dead cats in black bags —was to be expected, its occupants were not. The driver and thepassenger were employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals(PETA) and the vehicle was registered to the organization.

The workers, Adria Hinkle, 28, and Andrew Cook, 25, were arrested andlater indicted on 24 felony charges, including 21 counts of animalcruelty, for injecting lethal doses of an anesthetic into strays theyhad just collected from county shelters and a veterinarian's office.

For PETA, the largest animal rights organization in the world, it was apublic relations nightmare. The group, whose many celebrity supportersinclude Pamela Anderson and Alec Baldwin, made its name by obtainingand publicizing disturbing images of torturous lab experiments,blood-soaked fur farms and shocking abuse of circus animals.

Now it was confronted with photos of a graphic scene of its ownemployees' making: a lifeless cream-colored puppy being lifted out offa pile of trash. A dead Dalmatian sprawled on its back. A jet-black catand her two kittens cinched in a trash bag.

"It's hideous," the president of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, acknowledged twodays after the arrests. "I think this is so shocking it's bound to hurtour work. "

Despite this assessment, Newkirk and PETA stood by Hinkle and Cook inthe coming months, consistently advocating for their innocence andhiring the legal team that will represent them at the trial that beginsJan. 22 in Hertford County Superior Court.

"As the trial is about to start, we remind all interested parties thatthere was absolutely no cruelty involved in this case, that PETA hasonly ever helped animals in dire straits in North Carolina, and that ifjustice is served these facts will be made clear," a spokeswoman, ErinEdwards, wrote in an e-mail Thursday.

Although only Hinkle and Cook, two low-level staffers, are facing charges, the policies of the entire organization are on trial.

Critics have charged that many of the group's loyal supporters will beshocked when details of PETA's euthanasia policy emerge. TheVirginian-Pilot reported that the group euthanized more than 6,000animals between 2001 and 2003, about 83 percent of those it collected.

Officials with the group maintain that while Hinkle and Cook may haveexercised poor discretion in dumping the animals behind thesupermarket, they and other employees who did similar work were actinghumanely when they euthanized animals removed from shelters.

Those who say otherwise, PETA claims, are not realistic about thefuture of the estimated 6 to 8 million dogs and cats left at U.S.shelters annually.

Statistics compiled by the national Humane Society indicate that onlyabout half of the strays will be adopted. The rest will be put todeath. PETA insists that in the case of the "unadoptable" — the old,sick, antisocial or not housebroken — it is more compassionate toeuthanize them immediately than to let them live in shelters, wherethey may be mistreated.

"Critics may condemn PETA for supporting euthanasia, but we are notashamed of providing a merciful exit from an uncaring world to brokenbeings," Daphna Nachminovitch, PETA's director of domestic animalissues, wrote in an editorial in the San Francisco Chronicle shortlyafter the arrests.

That stance is controversial in the animal rights community.

"The responsibility we have to animals doesn't mean giving them apainless death. It means coping with their challenges like we would afamily member or a child," said Rich Avanzino, the president ofMaddie's Fund.

His organization, endowed with $300 million by PeopleSoft founder DavidDuffield, advocates making the United States a "no-kill nation," whereanimals are only euthanized if they are dangerous or suffering from anincurable condition.

The trial, which is scheduled to last a week, will focus on PETA'sinvolvement with three rural counties in the northeast part of thestate.

According to PETA, the group first became involved with North Carolinastrays several years ago when they received a phone call from a policeofficer outraged at the conditions in county shelters.

"Some of the counties were euthanizing animals by shooting them in thehead with an old rifle. Others were using a leaky and ineffective gaschamber," Cook's lawyer, Mark Edwards, said.

PETA agreed to collect animals several times a week and take them totheir headquarters in Norfolk, Va., about 50 miles away. What wassupposed to occur there is disputed. County officials say they wereunder the impression that the group would try to find loving homes forthe animals.

One veterinarian, Patrick Proctor, said that when he handed the blackcat and her kittens to Hinkle and Cook, they cooed over the animals andsaid they would be easy to place.

"They were saying, 'My, what beautiful animals. We will have absolutelyno trouble finding homes for these,'" the veterinarian told CNN.

PETA officials contend that everyone involved knew that the animalswould be euthanized, and its role was to provide a less painful deathat their lab in Norfolk than they would have experienced by a gun orgas chamber death in the shelter.

"These animals were going to be euthanized, either by PETA or the state of North Carolina," Edwards said.

Newkirk has said that Hinkle and Cook deviated from PETA policy bydisposing of the bodies in the Dumpster rather than cremating them.

Hinkle, who was more senior than Cook, normally assigned to the group'sWeb site, was suspended for 90 days, but both defendants continue towork for the group.

Just terrible :(
To think about so many animals who would have had a chance at lifejust....taken away so quickly. Especially puppies andkittens; they're almost always adopted out first before the grownanimals, and probably would be in loving homes already if they'd justgiven them a chance....
This story is so sad, but is unfortunately not the first time I'veheard of PETA doing things like this, and I'm afraid it won't be thelast, either.....

Has anyone ever watched Penn and Teller'sBullSh*t? They did an episode on PETA, its on YOUTUBE (www.youtube.com)search for it, it's in 3 pieces. Very fascinating, and sad. I love thatshow....they always have good back up info and stuff, like they're notjust saying its bad....they really tell you why and what they think.

Beware, mild language. I'ts Penn and Teller.

I LOVE that show. I get so mad when I watch it though.

I can't believe that celebrities give their money to Peta out of thelove of their pets, not knowing they (Peta)believe thatowning a pet is the same thing as slavery.

They don't believe in animal testing, yet the VP (I think) usesinsulin, a medical procedure developed through animal testing. Shewould not be alive if it weren't for animal testing.

They are total hypocrits. They protest shelters, and treaten to blow upthe shelter workers homes. Meanwhile they kill 90% of the animals thatare turned over to them. If you want to support an animal organization,support your local SPCA.

I LOVE animals, but I don't think that the living conditions ofchickens is comprable to the living conditions of Concentration Campprisoners. Oh, yeah, I am not making this up, they ran an ad campain ontheir website saying just that.

I HATE Peta! You can check outhttp://www.petakillsanimals.comthey have all the dirt on Peta. Be ready to get angry though.

~Star~

I'm even more shocked after reading the site you gave, Starina.

Some of PETA's ideas towards bettering the living conditions of animalsin production etc. seem reasonable, but most of the things they believein are outrageous!

I cannot get over how unprofessional they are! Showing childrengruesome pictures of animals being slaughtered, and things like "You'reMommy Kills Cute Animals". Why do they target small childrenthatcannot at that age understand the concept?Or, amore local campaign, having girlstopless in high heelsholding signs about the whole 'Kentucky Fried Cruelty'.

I just wish more people would find out the true facts behind PETA.

I wish that I had more time, (I say this as I amhome with a messed up leg, but I am working full time getting my BF'sart career started) otherwise I would campain against Peta, and I wouldfight just as dirty as they do.

This sort of thing is enough to make any reasonable person mad. It is aclassic case of propaganda. They poison the minds of children, evenadults. Who doesn't love animals, I mean besides the twofaces folks atPeta. They prey upon that love and use it to manipulate people. I knowthat I would never eat a rabbit, since I am in love with one. But letme eat my hamburger in peace. The only reason that they want to convertpeople is so that you will give them money. I just hate the "gross out"tactics. I am against smoking, but those commercials where they showthe goo coming out a clogged artery or the blood coming out of astroked brain are just too much. I like gore and horror, but don't useit to try to guilt me into changing myself. I think it is totallyinappropriate.

Sorry, I could rant about Peta all day. :angryrant

~Star~

I know what you mean :(
It's bad enough that they tell us not to eat/use animal products, andnot to have pets, AND use graphic photos of labratory animals to scarepeople into believing what they believe, but they could at leastpractice what they preach! Being humane to animals does not meankilling them by the thousands for some twisted conception of animalfreedom.(And yes, I've been to that website you sentbefore.... it's crazy how many people just think PETA is a bunch ofharmelss animal-lovers.)
Ooh~ It makes me so flustered just thinking about it, so I'd probably better stop now before I get all reiled up :X

Haha its funny how people start talking and getangrier and angrier and just cut themsevles off before it getsworse.... we need like RO incense and calming vapors or something. Thenwe can calmy get angry together.

Jesse,

So, I'm watching that Penn & Teller, and I got rather upsetwhen I'm watching the PETA folks protesting against the very samesystem of shelters where I volunteer. Granted they're outsidea different of the six shelters, but I really couldn't takethat. I never was a PETA supporter, but that turned me thatmuch more off. Knowing the overcrowding that occurs inshelters already, I don't really understand what their plan is forliberating the animals.

I'll just leave it at WOW.

Latest posts

Back