Another rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
To be honest, I’m pretty scared to get another bunny. But Apollo deserves it so much, and he benefitted a lot from Athena.

If you’re unaware as to who Athena is, I adopted a (supposed) English spot x lop bunny who was about two years old. She had an abscess before I adopted her and was told it wouldn’t come back - which it didn’t. Four and a half months later, she passed away with absolutely no symptoms (she was eating, running around and behaving normal). She struggled to keep consistent weight, so she was slightly underweight, though definitely wasn’t malnourished or severely underweight - this picture was taken four days before she passed.

it has been four months since she passed, and it’s constantly on my mind that Apollo deserves a friend. There are two main worries for me:

1. that I get another bunny and it passes away again.

2. That I go back to the rescue and get another bunny and they don’t like me or think I killed her.

Do you think that there is anything i can improve in my rabbit care or anyway to prevent this from happening again?

My rabbit goes to the vet for a ears-to-tail health check every six months, flea’d once a month and vaccinated yearly. He’s fed healthy herby orchard grass hay or Hayboxclub Timothy hay - I like to switch it up for more variety. He also gets 1/8 cup of cold pressed marriages pellets and 1/8 cup of science selective pellets. And two cups of veggies (this changes every week).

are there any preventative treatments or supplements that might help me? Also do you think that a rabbit from a good, reputable breeder would live longer than one from a rescue? Or should I just not adopt a bunny with previous health conditions? I know it sounds mean, but I wouldn’t want to have to lose another bunny and I don’t want Apollo to lose another friend

Attachments

• 4EA4560D-31C4-487F-B814-4C1C3979AA3F.jpeg
    4EA4560D-31C4-487F-B814-4C1C3979AA3F.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 8
I think it would be great for you to get Apollo a friend! I would suggest going back to the rescue (instead of finding a breeder) because the rabbits there are already spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccines, and the rescue will bond Apollo with the other rabbit so you will not have to stress about bonding. The rescue will not hate you or think you killed Athena if the rescue is run by decent and caring people. They will know that you gave Athena a perfect life that was full of love! They will also know (more than most people do) that sometimes rabbits just don't make it. I know it must be really hard knowing that if you get another rabbit it could die unexpectedly, so I am very proud of you for even considering this!

Sweet Athena ❤️. I completely understand why you’re feeling apprehensive. What happened to her was just a tragic, unexplained event and nothing you could have foreseen. You are an amazing, attentive bunny parent and any bunny in your care will be very lucky.

I’m not sure whether a bun from a breeder would necessarily live longer, as health conditions could effect them either way. Seeing the stories that some rescue buns have been through though, it’s an absolute wonder they stayed alive long enough to make it to the rescue centre in the first place, so they are strong, determined bunnies.

Losing any pet is heartbreaking and it takes a lot of strength to potentially open yourself up to that again, particularly as these little fluffies are so delicate. Nobody would think you were being mean for wanting to take on a perfectly healthy rabbit to minimise the chances of having to go through that again.

Sweet Athena ❤. I completely understand why you’re feeling apprehensive. What happened to her was just a tragic, unexplained event and nothing you could have foreseen. You are an amazing, attentive bunny parent and any bunny in your care will be very lucky.

I’m not sure whether a bun from a breeder would necessarily live longer, as health conditions could effect them either way. Seeing the stories that some rescue buns have been through though, it’s an absolute wonder they stayed alive long enough to make it to the rescue centre in the first place, so they are strong, determined bunnies.

Losing any pet is heartbreaking and it takes a lot of strength to potentially open yourself up to that again, particularly as these little fluffies are so delicate. Nobody would think you were being mean for wanting to take on a perfectly healthy rabbit to minimise the chances of having to go through that again.
Agreed. And just because you might get a rabbit from a rescue doesn't mean it will be unhealthy. Some rabbits are dumped weather they are healthy or not.

Breeders are not bad, if you can find a breeder whose animals are kept in your definition of proper care, and are healthy meaning they have no underlying health conditions I would say it would be fine to support a breeder! :)
Yeah, I was thinking that. I follow a breeder on Instagram, and she’s one of the only ones I like but she lives in dorset.

I think it would be great for you to get Apollo a friend! I would suggest going back to the rescue (instead of finding a breeder) because the rabbits there are already spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccines, and the rescue will bond Apollo with the other rabbit so you will not have to stress about bonding. The rescue will not hate you or think you killed Athena if the rescue is run by decent and caring people. They will know that you gave Athena a perfect life that was full of love! They will also know (more than most people do) that sometimes rabbits just don't make it. I know it must be really hard knowing that if you get another rabbit it could die unexpectedly, so I am very proud of you for even considering this!

Yeah, I know that the going back to the rescue is probably the best choice. I don’t know, I just feel weird about it.

Sweet Athena ❤. I completely understand why you’re feeling apprehensive. What happened to her was just a tragic, unexplained event and nothing you could have foreseen. You are an amazing, attentive bunny parent and any bunny in your care will be very lucky.

Thank you, it means a lot. Athena definitely had a story following her, and I’m grateful for the time we had (she was amazing). Yeah, I think I do want one with as little health conditions as possible. I think I’ll reapply for adoption at RRR and see what happens.

Agreed. And just because you might get a rabbit from a rescue doesn't mean it will be unhealthy. Some rabbits are dumped weather they are healthy or not.
Yeah, I know. Both Apollo and Athena are/were rescue bunnies. Apollo was fairly healthy, aside from a suspected UTI.

thanks everyone. I really appreciate your support 💛

My mind is exploding, literally disgusted, with the amount of strays showing up. -Supporting a rescue who spays and neuters their rescued buns is beneficial. Several private rescues in these parts keep getting calls about strays.

The words "deserve" are a sensitive matter to me. People contact me all the time, and have for years, sayiing their rabbit deserves more playtime, etc.. They have a cat or dog, or multiple pets and the rabbit is kept confined and "deserves" more attention and affection. In your heart ask yourself if you are devoted to bunny care for the next 10-14 years no matter what vet expenses crop up.

Our rescue took in a Flemish Giant female spayed at a shelter. Shelter DVM must've tied down her legs for spay procedure as she recovered with a gimpy-mobility leg and then transitioned to our rescue. She got adopted, and I later found out the female who had not been spayed for 4 years or so, developed Mammary Gland tumors that were cancerous. She needed amputation because the cancer had spread into her armpits. I felt horrible not knowing this, and my heart still breaks thinking about the expenses the adopters went thru. She died in surgery as the rabbit-savvy DVM tried her best to prolong her life because of cancer spread.

Yeah, it’s horrific. The Rabbit residence is doing such an amazing job, and all the does in their care are reserved and pending bonding. So even if I do get another bunny, they’re booked up for a little while.

aw I am so sorry about that bunny. 🌈💛

@Apollo’s Slave -- Lucky are the Rabbits who are loved for the next 10-14+ years. Loved and cared for like members of our family. I personally feel all rabbits should be given a chance to live with a devoted human and not be euthanized, or regarded as commodity or stock.

- When you acquire/adopt a rabbit, be prepared for vet bills (as you know rabbit maladies and DVM visits costs money) and the eventual passing away of your beloved companion.

A reputable rescue will hopefully spay a potential bondmate for Apollo. Athena was a treasured companion (sounds like) in your life and a comfort companion for Apollo. Insert heart symbol.

For the past 18 years we've seen our house crew pass away from all sorts of maladies; peaceful euthanization for bone cancer spreading, or kidney failure, et al. The sorrow is deeply felt. Bondmates pass away, and their surviving partner does okay. Surviving bondmate can be cherished even more.

Any bun you acquire or adopt will have a shorter lifespan than yourself if you are in your 20s, 30s, 40s. My advice is be prepared to love somebun you welcome into your life and home, and be prepared for heartache years later. Be prepared to feel sad. If you didn't feel sad, I would question why?

Lucky are the buns who feel a human's love, and are treated like family. Thousands of rabbits never get the chance, Apollo's Slave.

Thank you for the kind words wrt Lizzy's passing. She was much-loved, and the adopters tried so hard.

Attachments

• JSBPhotoCR_LindaAndLizzyFeb6th_RSTB.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_LindaAndLizzyFeb6th_RSTB.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 6
@Apollo’s Slave --
A reputable rescue will hopefully spay a potential bondmate for Apollo. Athena was a treasured companion (sounds like) in your life and a comfort companion for Apollo. Insert heart symbol.

For the past 18 years we've seen our house crew pass away from all sorts of maladies; peaceful euthanization for bone cancer spreading, or kidney failure, et al. The sorrow is deeply felt. Bondmates pass away, and their surviving partner does okay. Surviving bondmate can be cherished even more.

Any bun you acquire or adopt will have a shorter lifespan than yourself if you are in your 20s, 30s, 40s. My advice is be prepared to love somebun you welcome into your life and home, and be prepared for heartache years later. Be prepared to feel sad. If you didn't feel sad, I would question why?

Lucky are the buns who feel a human's love, and are treated like family. Thousands of rabbits never get the chance, Apollo's Slave.

Thank you for the kind words wrt Lizzy's passing. She was much-loved, and the adopters tried so hard.
Thank you. I really appreciate it. Yeah, it does just seem like that’s something to prepare for. I can hopefully find a bunfriend for him sometime this year. And it seems rescue will be the way to go 🥰

I agree with that, you should really let another bunny get a shot at living a sweet, caring life with you and Apollo. Best of luck finding that new friend!

Latest posts

Back