Another moving problem 😓

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven123

Reaction score
So today while I was in the car with my mom, my mom was talking to me about moving stuff. And then she started saying “when people come to look at the house, you’re going to have to put your bunnies in the garage,” I asked why and she said “people don’t want to see that bunnies have roamed a room” now I don’t think that’s fair because the bunnies are really clean and don’t cause much of a mess and they’re gonna look in the garage and see my bunnies in there which won’t promote good rabbit care. What if they have bunnies? They’ll see what I’m doing and then take that as an example. And I feel like it’s also unfair to the bunnies, when people are going to look at the house, it’s going to be winter and in the winter it can go below zero a lot and I don’t feel like that’s fair to the bunnies to stick them into the garage. Think about if somebody stuck you in a Cold garage because they didn’t want others to know you live in that house. It’s unfair. Anyways, this probably isn’t any big deal, I just want to know what you guys think about this.

If I was viewing to buy a property, I personally wouldn’t care if the current owner had any pets, but I’m an animal lover, so I’m probably biased. Perhaps the real estate agent has made this suggestion to your mum without really thinking about how cold it will be in the garage or the impression it will give. They will just be concerned about getting the house sold.

Viewings don’t generally take more than a few minutes, so if you can’t talk your mum round and you do have to move them there, hopefully it shouldn’t be for very long and you can get them back in the warm 😊

Maybe instead of putting your rabbit in the garage you can put it in it’s carrier and put it in a corner in your living room. When my family were looking to buy a house we didn’t spend more than 20 minutes looking at it, so I wouldn’t think it would be too much of a problem. That way your bunnies will still be warm inside the house and your mum doesn’t have to worry about the potential buyers seeing the bunnies free roaming.

Myself let my bunnies explore the garage sometimes. If it’s a resonable temperaturer they will be okay. My garage aren’t that cold yet for my indoor bunny to not being able to spend time in it. I don’t have any heating in the garage and during winter/late autumn we use the garage as an extra refrigator because the temperature will sometimes be colder than the refrigator. So we store left over food in the garage, so it can become quite cold.

Right now the temperature of the garage is a bit warmer than the outdoor temperature staying around 15 C. While outdoor is 7 C during the day. So running outdoors will be a bit cold for my indoor bunny but the garage won’t be a trouble. If you have any small heater that you can use in garage when the bunnies are there it will also be good. It all depend on how cold your garage get during the winter. If you can set up an safe area and let them roam.

Otherwise let your bunnies stay in a carrier until the whole visit is over. As long your bunny don’t get stressed being in a carrier.

I only have two carriers, my sister has a bunny, and I have two bunnies. All of these bunnies are kept separate (Hermione and Skylar are being kept separate until Skylar is spayed) and my sisters bunny isn’t neutered. I don’t know where I’d put the third bunny when they’re out in the garage. I just really wish it wouldn’t have to be this hard. People are ok with cats and dogs roaming their houses so why not bunnies? Bunnies are just as clean and it won’t change the fact that they have been in here. I just feel bed because it can go below 0°F in my state and I know it gets very cold in the garage in the winter. Maybe I can negotiate with my mom and put them in the furnace room.

I only have two carriers, my sister has a bunny, and I have two bunnies. All of these bunnies are kept separate (Hermione and Skylar are being kept separate until Skylar is spayed) and my sisters bunny isn’t neutered. I don’t know where I’d put the third bunny when they’re out in the garage. I just really wish it wouldn’t have to be this hard. People are ok with cats and dogs roaming their houses so why not bunnies? Bunnies are just as clean and it won’t change the fact that they have been in here. I just feel bed because it can go below 0°F in my state and I know it gets very cold in the garage in the winter. Maybe I can negotiate with my mom and put them in the furnace room.

You are in a tough situation and specially with 3 bunnies that can’t be together. The bunnies won’t be able to be in the garage without a heater. They will truly freeze, that temperature will be okay for outdoors bunnies with winter coating but indoors bunny will freeze because they only have a summer coating on.

I hope you manage to negotate or that your mom fix a heater. Then you can just make your sisters bunny and the other be in a carrier while one bunny roam in the garage, if you can’t set up a run with a barrier between the bunnies.

Do you have any cage to put the bunnies or know a person that can borrow a cage, or someone is giving any carriers away. Myself managed to get one carrier and one indoor cage for free by just looking around. Facebook groups near your area can sometimes put things up. Myself often use facebook when I need to find things fast 😊

A cardboard box with holes in it may work as a makeshift carrier?

Latest posts

Back