Another Fur Mite Question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la~la~land

Reaction score
Hey there,
I had started another thread on here a while back about how some of my rabbits had fur mites. I treated with ivermectin, but the second time I dosed them my buck Jet had a bad reaction so I stopped after that. A few weeks later everyone's fur is back and they look fine so I bred my doe. Shes due on the 14th and I had her out checking over her today. Shes broken black and on some of her black patches there seems to be a bit of dander (Jet also looks to have a little) so I checked closer. After about 10 minutes of going through her fur I found two very tiny orange specks that move if you watch very closely. These are what I presumed to be fur mites before except there were lots of them. She doesn't have any fur loss (if she does its so little that you can't even tell). Are these mites? I've basically sworn off ivermectin so won't be using that again. My local TSC carries diatomaceous earth but never has it in when I go. Its also getting rather cold here (below freezing at night) will the mites die off?
Thanks for your help!

You should be using Revolution, and that would have been the optimum product to use from the start. And unless you treated and cleaned EVERYTHING and tossed out any wood, they will keep coming back. Are they on dirt/outside? you will never get rid of the possibility of having fleas or mites if their outside. Revolution will help prevent them from getting issues in the future if used on a regular prevention basis.
The dose is 18mg/kg and you can use either the dog or cat version so long as you dose it out properly.

Latest posts

Back