Another bunny?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachaeeelanneee

Reaction score
Okay guys. I'm thinking about getting a second bun.

I already have my Moo Moo (about 5months old, boy, holland lop), who will be getting fixed within a month.

After he's fixed, and I've waited the appropriate amount of time for his hormone to settle down, how would I go about bonding him with another bunny? Should he be bonded with a boy or a girl bun? How long (estimate) would it take for them to be officially bonded? Could they share a cage? Would I need to litter boxes in a shared cage?

Any other advice/insight is welcome. Thanks!

Boy/girl bonds are said to be easiest to forge - my boy and girl got along from the get go, but some other b/g pairings won't be so smooth (like whiskylollipop's Naja and Merlin). B/b is said to be second easiest, with g/g being most difficult. It all comes down to personality in the end, though. Felix is quite pushy, with Clementine being a bit more laid back, and he dotes on her, whereas Laura's Naja and Merlin are both quite dominant, so they clash heads!

I let Felix and Clem meet about 2 weeks after his neuter; his hormones were still there, but she was only 7/8 weeks, too young for her to accidentally get pregnant. There was a bit of humping from him, but thankfully after about 3 sessions I was able to leave them together. Their bond has remained through Clementine being spayed. :)

They share everything now - cage, litter box, food dishes.

Actually it is the male/male bonds that are considered most difficult. Male/female are considered easiest. But it ultimately is up to the individual rabbits. Pani was very fortunate that her rabbits stayed bonded. She is correct that it comes down to rabbits themselves.

Ideally, you would speak with a rabbit rescue and see if they do bunny dates. Once your boy is ready to meet some buns, you'll take your boy to the rescue. There they will allow you to choose which buns you would like to 'test' with yours. They may even have suggestions.

Then they'll put the 2 buns together (usually in an x-pen and usually with either you or one of them in the pen too) They will oversee how the bunnies are reacting to each other. Ask them questions! Find out what body language they are on the lookout for. When a potential bun is decided upon, you get to take them home and continue the process.

Some bonds are quick and easy, some take months, and some just aren't going to happen. The rescue will likely be available for suggestions and advice along the way (along with members here!)

Your rabbits should not be placed in the same cage until there is no doubt whatsoever that they are truly bonded. You'll need a separate space for each bun in the meantime. (an x-pen can make do for a temporary cage)

Most rescues advocate the following method for bonding:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

There is also another method I came across and used before. Even if you don't use it, you may like to see some of the videos posted that show various bondings in progress. I appreciated 'seeing' what to look out for.

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back