Annual Vet Visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdith4him

Reaction score
I decided to take all three buns to the vet next Monday for an annual check up. They're not quite a year old yet, but I'll be back to school once they are and it'll be easier to go now! When I called to make the appointment, I asked how much it would cost. She said $70 per bunny (marked down from $77 since I had 3 buns). I had no idea it would be that much, but this vet is HIGHLY respected in our area as a top rabbit expert, so I don't mind paying for excellent service.

Anyway, since we are paying a pretty penny for this, I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. The receptionist said the appointment should last about an hour total for all three rabbits, so about 20 minutes each. I've never taken rabbits for this type of check up before, so what types of things should I expect them to do? Are there things I should ask them to do or check? Questions I should ask? I'm going to ask about cleaning their scent gland (if necessary). What do your vets do during this annual exam?

LakeCondo wrote:
teeth, heartbeat, eyes, ears

I'm curious on how others feel about this. Our local rabbit rescue has long-time, very experienced rabbit caretakers. When someone brings a bunny in for a nail clip, they check teeth, eyes, ears, scent glands, overall health. My thought is that they seem at least as qualified to check a healthy rabbit.

So, aside from sick bunnies who may need lab tests or medicine, why pay those high vet costs if the vet is basically doing the same thing that an experienced rabbit rescue person can do?

I think it's worth taking them in to establish yourself as a client with an animal hospital. Then if you have questions or smaller concerns you can call and talk to someone who has already seen your pet. Your vet should give a physical exam, listen to their heart and lungs and check their teeth. I'm not sure if your rabbits are spayed or neutered but if not that may be something you'd like to inquire about. You can ask your vet (or one of their techs or assistants) to show you how to clean scent glands and clip nails if those are things you're uncomfortable with.

For the record: I used to work in a small animal/exotics hospital and I'm starting vet school in a few weeks, so I probably have a bit of a pro-vet bias.

I take all of mine in once a year just for a check. In addition to the physical exam we discuss body condition and diet, exercise, housing tips. I guess it makes me feel better to have a professional get hands on the kids so I have an unbiased evaluation of how they are doing. She can suggest minior course corrections as needed rather than waiting for a problem to come up. Also, then if they do have an issue she knows then already. My vet has been incredible with Becky's chronic health issues and Cinderella's emergencies before she passed. She knows me and that when I say it is an emergency it really is, so she came from the dentist to meet me at the clinic when Cinderella started seizures. I don't think she would have been so responsive if she didn't know me and the bun.

MiniLopHop wrote:
I take all of mine in once a year just for a check. In addition to the physical exam we discuss body condition and diet, exercise, housing tips. I guess it makes me feel better to have a professional get hands on the kids so I have an unbiased evaluation of how they are doing. She can suggest minior course corrections as needed rather than waiting for a problem to come up. Also, then if they do have an issue she knows then already. My vet has been incredible with Becky's chronic health issues and Cinderella's emergencies before she passed. She knows me and that when I say it is an emergency it really is, so she came from the dentist to meet me at the clinic when Cinderella started seizures. I don't think she would have been so responsive if she didn't know me and the bun.

One cannot put a price on "peace of mind." It's certainly worth it if that's what it gives you. I guess it's more a matter, then, of an individual's comfort level.

I'm ok with self-monitoring backed up by opinions of rescuers. Heck, I rarely take myself or family in to the doctors! Perhaps I'm just a rebel in that regard. :p

Latest posts

Back