Annabelle passed away at the vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffl

Reaction score
Yesterday, we took Annabelle to the vet since she wasn't eating , pooping and peeing. She was fine until then. She had this problem once before and the vet helped her through it. This time, she didn't make it. Waiting on test results to see what the cause was. Will post as soon as I hear something.

Sorry to hear about your bun. I know that bloat can have similar symptoms to GI stasis and kill very fast if the stomach/intestines explode or get infected.

Had similar happen to a bun who wasn’t eating right for several weeks. Turns out she had chronic liver failure that wasn’t noticed during the checkups. Is your bunny getting a necropsy? I found that they gave a lot of closure.

I got the results from Annabelle's necropsy today. I was shocked when the vet said it was Uterine Adenocarcinoma. I thought for sure it was going to be GI stasis since she that that before and was lucky to survive it. I miss my bunny kisses at night and her ringing her bell when she wanted fed.

I got the results from Annabelle's necropsy today. I was shocked when the vet said it was Uterine Adenocarcinoma. I thought for sure it was going to be GI stasis since she that that before and was lucky to survive it. I miss my bunny kisses at night and her ringing her bell when she wanted fed.
Oh my I’m so sorry for you loss...

I was shocked when the vet said it was Uterine Adenocarcinoma. I thought for sure it was going to be GI stasis since she that that before and was lucky to survive it.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(. The thing about GI stasis (which she did technically have when she died) is that it's not actually a diagnosis - it's a symptom. One of the main causes is pain, which rabbits instinctively do their best to hide until it becomes overwhelming. The kind of cancer she had can be completely asymptomatic... the only common symptoms of it (at least in humans) are pain, fatigue/anemia and irregular vaginal bleeding (the latter of which she would've most likely have groomed away if it occurred). In other words, though the cancer would've developed over time, there was no way for you to know that something was wrong until it got to the point where she felt so miserable that she stopped eating. Once GI stasis sets in, it's a race to try to manage it long enough to figure out what the root cause is.

I've lost two rabbits during bouts with GI stasis myself, so I know what you're going through... it's so hard when one day everything is fine and then all of a sudden you notice a lack of appetite and in a matter of hours or a day, your world can be turned upside down by the loss of a beloved companion.

If you don't mind me asking, do you know how old she was? Also, was she spayed? (I ask that because, while I'm guessing she wasn't, the vet that spayed Nala and Gaz used a European technique where he removed the ovaries but not the uterus so I know for a fact that having a uterus does not mean that the rabbit hasn't been spayed...)

Annabelle turned 6 in March. No, she wasn't spayed. We almost lost her from GI when she was younger. Another time, she had an infection in the bottom of her back foot. The vet had to put her under anesthetic and said he had to work fast. He said only 10 minutes could she be out. It worked.

I’m so sorry, I’m sure she’s very grateful towards you and those bunny kisses tell me she loved you very much. She will wait for you in heaven ❤️

Latest posts

Back