Animal Planet vs. Petland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flick

Reaction score
There's a FaceBook page about Animal Planet's show that reveals "the grim connection between puppy mills and pet stores".... I just posted this on the page:

It was in the Petland Ohio store where the clerk drowned two baby rabbits! Since it was the tragic death of these rabbits that brought attention to Petland in the first place, shouldn't rabbit mills (breeders) be included in this investigation? Being involved with rescues and shelters, I can tell you from personal experience that rabbits have a very brutal life with breeders.

Here's our chance to make some noise about the horrible conditions rabbit endure! If you have a FaceBook page, please go to the following page give a thump for rabbits. The more posts they get concerning rabbits, the better.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115947885111189

Emily, I believe Flick is talking about breeder mills. The animals are kept in unsanitary and overcrowded conditions because it's quantity rather than quality. Vet care is not used at all. Breeding mills usually supply big name Pet Stores with their animals. They do exist for all kinds of small animals, I wish more spotlight was on them. Puppy mills are just now getting recognition, so hopefully we are on the right track.

I will be the first to agree that all breeders are not bad. It is just the ones that breed only to sell an underage rabbit to a petstore and do not take proper care of their rabbits. Not long ago, we had a guy that contacted us wanting to take his breedig pair because the petstore that bought the babies would no longer buy them. The breeding pair came in in HORRIBLE shape. The female ended up being euthanized at our vets because of her condition after our rescue spending $100's of dollars trying to save her.

I have a strong opinion on breeders myself but wont get into it. IMO a GOOD reputable breeder will NEVER give their rabbits to a pet store bc most pet stores are interested in turning a profit. Obviously Im talking about all but the biggest ones def are. I even have problems with some hobby breeders bc although it seems Akina's breeder was good she did not trace nor communicate with my cousin after she got her 50 bucks. Nor did she screen my cousin, otherwise Akina would never have gotten into the hands of my cousin. Everybody varies. Vet care is essential as well as blood lines

Latest posts

Back