Animal hoarding show on Animal Planet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be sad if they were healthy to take them all away. I agree perhaps they should have mandated fixing and perhaps said no new animals, but to take them away just because of the number? That seems like it was not in the animal's best interest. At least they were being well cared for. Yes the limping dog should see a vet again, but did the owners get that chance? The shelter system is so overwhelmed as it is, why add animals that are doing well where they are?

MiniLopHop wrote:
The shelter system is so overwhelmed as it is, why add animals that are doing well where they are?
:yeahthat: Sometimes it seems to me they are just looking for excuses to take animals away....but mabye that is my paranoia talking there. :scared: ;)

I wonder if they took the dogs because of a law on how many dogs can be kept in a household? I know where I live you are limited to five dogs unless you have a kennel license. There are no limits on the number of any other pets though.

I'm not sure. It looked like from the camera views they gave that it was a rural area, but of course you can only see what they show you. I don't remember if they specifically said anything about number of dogs allowed or not.

Yea, I didn't see the show you are talking about but I do find it disturbing that someone can come into a home and take away someones animals. I agree that when there are large numbers of animals left to breed at will and animals that are obviously sick that something needs to be done. But I don't agree that someone can come into a home and decide that just by the number of animals or if they don't like/agree with the way they are being cared for that they can be taken away.

gentle giants wrote:
I saw one case where this couple had over a hundred dogs. BUT.... When animal control went in and took their dogs (which I did not agree with) they could only find ONE that had any kind of problem at all. All the dogs were well fed, had glossy shiny coats, etc. The only dog that had a problem was one that had in the past had a broken leg. The leg had been treated by a vet at the time of injury, who put a wire in to hold it together. Unfortunately, now the wire was coming loose and causing the dog to limp.
I think in a case like that, they should have required spays/neuters for the dogs, and left them there. MABYE take the one that needed it's leg fixed, but leave the rest. Now all those dogs were thrown into the shelter system, and I imagine several were pts, because they weren't socialized. How was taking those dogs away good for anyone?
I saw that one too. I was surprised how well cared for the dogs looked also. I think it was right to take them though. She still kept twelve which is enough work. I think the issue with that wasn't the way the animals were being neglected, but they way the owners were neglecting themselves. The dogs had the care they needed, but the people were old, sick, and poor. They couldn't take care of themselves and their pets so they chose to take care of the pets. I was annoyed that they took them to the shelter too. They should have offered them some kind of assistance for food to feed the animals and adopted them from her house instead.

BunnyLove♥ wrote:
gentle giants wrote:
I saw one case where this couple had over a hundred dogs. BUT.... When animal control went in and took their dogs (which I did not agree with) they could only find ONE that had any kind of problem at all. All the dogs were well fed, had glossy shiny coats, etc. The only dog that had a problem was one that had in the past had a broken leg. The leg had been treated by a vet at the time of injury, who put a wire in to hold it together. Unfortunately, now the wire was coming loose and causing the dog to limp.
I think in a case like that, they should have required spays/neuters for the dogs, and left them there. MABYE take the one that needed it's leg fixed, but leave the rest. Now all those dogs were thrown into the shelter system, and I imagine several were pts, because they weren't socialized. How was taking those dogs away good for anyone?
I saw that one too. I was surprised how well cared for the dogs looked also. I think it was right to take them though. She still kept twelve which is enough work. I think the issue with that wasn't the way the animals were being neglected, but they way the owners were neglecting themselves. The dogs had the care they needed, but the people were old, sick, and poor. They couldn't take care of themselves and their pets so they chose to take care of the pets. I was annoyed that they took them to the shelter too. They should have offered them some kind of assistance for food to feed the animals and adopted them from her house instead.
Yeah, you may be right. I don't know if adopting them from their house would have worked either though, the couple was (quite understandably, IMO) very loudly upset and angry about their dogs being taken away. At least if they had all been spayed/neutered the dogs numbers would have slowly decreased naturally, just through dogs passing away from age and such. I just worried about how many of them were pts, because they weren't very socialized. :(

Latest posts

Back