Angora Help Needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Through a round about way, I rescued an Angorayesterday. (I'll tell the whole story later during my lunchbreak.) Anyway, my biggest question right now, that I wantedto get out right away is about his fur. It's just in awfulcondition. There are places where it's so matted, I can'treally tell where fur ends and skin begins. Would my best betbe to clip him down all over and let him start new, or to just try toget the mats? I don't have clippers, so any clipping wouldactually be scissoring.

I'll tell the whole rescue story later and try to get some photos up now that my camera is working again.

Jen

Hi Jen !! :wave:

If the fur is really that bad, I would take it all off and let it grow again.

That way, you wont have to tend to the old fur if that gets matted.

Can't wait to see pics !!!!

:inlove:

I agree with Zee, if the wool is that matted,remove it. But see if you can borrow clippers from someone.The clippers can get under a mat without damaging the skin.Scissors can do a lot of damage if you can't tell where the fur endsand the skin begins. (People clip angoras regularly to getthe wool, it won't hurt him... just keep him out of drafts for a fewweeks.)

I've decided I'm going to clip it. Ihave a friend who is a dog groomer, I'm going to ask her if I canborrow her clippers. It won't be until next weekend, but Ithink he can wait until then.

Ok, here's the story behind this poor little guy. A friendcalled this weekend, she is a rat rescuer and got a call from a friendof a friend who owns some apartments that she rents out. Onewas vacated 2 weeks ago and last weekend, she went to see what neededto be done to get it ready to rent again. Shefounda couple of cats (who went to a cat rescue) and 3 cagesof rats and this poor bunny. She called the rescuer I knowand asked her if she would take the rats and bunny. My friendis also a vet tech so she took them, had them vet checked (including apasturella culture on the bunny), and once she had the results, shecalled me. I've been wanting an Angora (he's French or Satin-- I don't know which), and this guy just sort of fell into mylap. The vet thinks he is really young, about 4 months andhasn't had much care at all, but otherwise he is healthy and VERYfriendly.

Jen

What kind of an unfeeling,calloused,selfish idiotwould live their animalsbehind in an empty apartment? That get me SO mad!The depths that humanity will sink to never ceases to amazeme!

Bless you for taking him in! I'm sure he's gonna be so muchhappier after he gets rid of all those matts... the poorthing.... :angel:

Aww... What a lucky little gut to end up with you! Can't wait to see pictures!

Make sure your groomer friend gives you the CoolLube to spray on the clippers and keep them lubricated and cool so thebun dosen't get burned. Good luck! I love theangoras!

Good idea to clip it. That way you get rid ofall the dirt and things in teh hair as well, much easier and a quickerfix to get the bunny feeling better.

I'm really surprised that the rabbit was taken to the vet and they didnot clip it. Any vet I know will clip the hair when it's that bad torelieve the animal of some discomfort and to check for underlyingproblems. You have to consider that if the rabbit has that many mats,it wasn't taken care of and could have mites or skin problems. Youcould not accuartely tell what's under all that hair without removingit.

I actually wondered about the vet too.He's my vet as well, so I simply called him about it. He didshave him in an area and then did a skin scraping or something likethat, so no mites. He said they chose not to shave him forstress reasons. He said he was ridiculously stressed when hecame in and he was concerned that he would react really badly to thewhole thing. I also talked to my friend about it and she saidthat she had agreed that the rabbit might be just too stressed from allthat stuff. She was going to get him clipped herself, but Iwas able to pick him up right away and she didn't expect that.

I have a vet appointment for my rat this weekend and I'm going to takethe bunny for another check. My vet said he would do a fullclip since he's not nearly as stressed.

Jen

Edit: In my tiredness this morning, I forgot to mention that he did treat with ivermec just in case.

cirrustwi wrote:
He said they chose not to shave him forstress reasons. He said he was ridiculously stressed when hecame in and he was concerned that he would react really badly to thewhole thing.

I know of a lady who took her rabbit to the vets to be boarded whileshe was out of town. It had some matting, so the vet decidedto clip the rabbit and the rabbit ended up dying due to the stress andinjuries.

I recommend using small embroidery scissors scissors to shear therabbit with rather than attempting to use clippers. The dogclippers may not cut through the soft wool.

It can be very difficult to clip close to the skin, so be cautious not to cut or rip the skin.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
cirrustwi wrote:
He said they chose not to shavehim for stress reasons. He said he was ridiculously stressedwhen he came in and he was concerned that he would react really badlyto the whole thing.
I know of a lady who took her rabbit to the vets to be boarded whileshe was out of town. It had some matting, so the vet decidedto clip the rabbit and the rabbit ended up dying due to the stress andinjuries.

I recommend using small embroidery scissors scissors to shear therabbit with rather than attempting to use clippers. The dogclippers may not cut through the soft wool.

It can be very difficult to clip close to the skin, so be cautious not to cut or rip the skin.

Pam
Wow! I honestly wondered if he was being overly cautious, butat the same time, I feel that he is just an amazing vet, so Icompletely trust his judgment. I'm so glad he didn't clipthis guy.

I actually had that concern about clippers. I have thesegreat clippers that were super expensive that I got when I had my horsefor shaving her bridle path, I loaned them to a friend for her Poodleand they got stuck in his soft fur. It was awful!We had to cut them out (thankfully they were far enough from the skinand he is the most patient dog). I have tiny scissors thatare used for suture removal, I think I'll use those.

This is the sweetest rabbit. I'm amazed because I'm sure hedidn't get that much attention. He's a little afraid when hefirst sees you, but then he warms right up. I adore himalready! He really needs a name though...

Jen

Awww the poor punkin. Well he couldn'task for a better mom than you. I can't wait to see picks of him onceyou get him clipped. Needs a name huh, well let me see what I can comeup with lol.

Tina

He makes....too many. LMBONo, not really. He's number 15, but he's fitting into theschedule just perfectly. I've always been a really scheduledperson and I don't do well when I don't have a ton of things going on,so it all works out fine around here. They have a scheduleand so do I and everyone's perfectly happy. Everyone getsplay and Mommy time every day. I'm so used to it now, that ifI have down time, I can't sit still. LOL

Jen

Pet_Bunny wrote:
cirrustwi wrote:
He's number 15, but he's fitting into the schedulejust perfectly.
Wow. That's amazing. I spend all my time withPebbles, and still feel I don't have enough time for her.

Rainbows! :D
Maybe Pebbles needs a friend. ;):p

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
cirrustwi wrote:
He's number 15, but he's fitting into the schedulejust perfectly.
Wow. That's amazing. I spend all my time withPebbles, and still feel I don't have enough time for her.

Rainbows! :D
Maybe Pebbles needs a friend. ;):p
LMBO I definitely thing Pebbles needs a friend. Theonly buns at my house who live together are Anissa and Delilah, butmost share play time with at least 1 other bun. I even haveintact males who play together.

Jen

WOW 15...crazy girl...I'm now up to 10 thanks tomy son and the raffle this weekend!! Love em all tho...I suppose insome ways rehoming somebunny would make sense...but there's 3 of ushere and if we all take a couple-three a nite they get the attn, andthey alternate playtimes...so far its working out...and I honestlydunno who I'd have the heart to rehome!

Latest posts

Back